Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Oct 27, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #46 of 1,087
I wanna see an HD-25 vs. ESW9 comparison. These things look frikkin' beautiful.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #47 of 1,087
I just picked up a pair of these in Japan (actually got two more pairs for friends). They are the best portable headphones I've ever heard. Soundstage, detail, bass, warmth. Its all there. These are amazing (can't go back to my ATH-ES7's anymore), especially for classical and jazz.

I also picked up the new Sony ear speakers (amazing sound stage) and the ATH noise cancelling phones while I was there. It was interesting taking the bus to the airport, I was switching between the noise cancelling phones and the ESW9s. The ESW9s were a lot more engaging (which also draws one away from the background noise vs. having the mid-band of noise masked).

Highly recommended!

Oct 29, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #48 of 1,087
You will get different opinions from different people. Thats one thing I noticed a lot when reading the past month or so looking for headphones.

In my opinion, the ES7 does not have bloated or heavy bass. If anything it doesn't have as much bass as what I thought it would have reading from peoples posts. Although I'm happy with how they sound.

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #49 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by tc17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will get different opinions from different people. Thats one thing I noticed a lot when reading the past month or so looking for headphones.

In my opinion, the ES7 does not have bloated or heavy bass. If anything it doesn't have as much bass as what I thought it would have reading from peoples posts. Although I'm happy with how they sound.

Here at head-fi bass is scaled slightly differently then between people less experience with hi-fi audio. What would be heavy bass for your typical iBud user, for us would just be a sea of rubbery nightmare.

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #50 of 1,087
More reports come in among japanese bloggers and review sites, all very favourably. One reviewer on amazon sums his review up with writing that these are basically true high-level headphones, but just in a portable housing.

Another reviewer on kakaku writes these are close(?) to the D5000 but only half the price (i hope i caught that right)

Natural tone for piano and strings are mentioned by almost all reviewers.

Ill post more as i find.

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #51 of 1,087
These headphones are making me want to upgrade again...
I believe the reviewer on kakaku actually says they are a few steps up compared to the D5000. I could be wrong though, my Japanese isn't that great and the translation isn't too clear:

"ATH-ESW9 (made in Japan) is also on a few steps for the sound quality and the workmanship of the product by the half price the price more than AH-D5000 of DENON (made in China)."

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #52 of 1,087
C'mon guys,

How long until we get a review? The suspense is killing me!

All sounds positive so far. Although I'm wondering if I would really benefit from the sound quality while commuting (the london underground can get fairly noisey) - maybe i would benefit more from the isolation of the HD-25-1's than the overall SQ of the ESW9's...

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #55 of 1,087
I know they don't directly compare, but I'd like to know how they compare with the ATH-A900s. I sold my pair and I'm looking for a decent upgrade for Christmas, and I wouldn't mind getting something a little more portable.

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #57 of 1,087
I believe pricejapan.com has them listed for around 280 to north america.

tongue.gif
oops posted too late

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #58 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More reports come in among japanese bloggers and review sites, all very favourably. One reviewer on amazon sums his review up with writing that these are basically true high-level headphones, but just in a portable housing.

Another reviewer on kakaku writes these are close(?) to the D5000 but only half the price (i hope i caught that right)

Natural tone for piano and strings are mentioned by almost all reviewers.

Ill post more as i find.

Wow, I just noticed your signature. You've gone through a lot... why the clean slate?

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #59 of 1,087
How does this can perform in isolation? does the sound leaks out much?

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #60 of 1,087
Got mine today but didnt have much time yet with them. So far i like them, they sound airy and have a good soundstage for a headphone of that size. The soundstage doesnt extend as much to left and right like open headphones but enough to enjoy it easily (im a soundstage junky).
Soundsignature is kinda neutral with small "fun" tunings here and there: a little bump in bass, but it has less bass than for example a PX100 or L3000. Still not a bassy can, but enough to be happy. It has very enjoyable mids and slightly more treble than the L3000, but it's far from being trebly. Overall it sounds very natural, it has no offending frequency anywhere, and doesnt need much adjusting to it (completely unlike the W5000 for example)

For now I love the bass texture, mids, soundstage (partly). I dont really have the gear to judge it more seriously right now. It could have more impact and a little more airy wider soundstage but that is probably due to using it right out of my crappy stuff (portable cdp, psp, laptop).

The HD25-1 could be a nice addition to this since its completely opposite of the ESW9, little cold signature, slightly metallic (yes, with replacement cable and over hundreds hours of burn in), closed in sound but it can rock a little more. The ESW9 can't convey the grind of a distorted marshall stack that well, however clean to crunchy guitars sound absolutely great on the ESW9. Also pop/electronic music is great on the ESW9 due to soundstage.

Isolation is good enough for me, won't be usefull on an airplane but walking with it should be good. Listening to music with avrg volume makes it very hard to hear close speaking however you register some noises (like caughing).

Looks: Actually they look pretty cool on my head. But i have a small head (grados only fit me on the smallest possible setting). If you're bald and have a big head and you need to extend it much, things turn out very unfavourably similar to the es7.

PeterDLai: The last big headphone i had was the L3000 i got in japan. I dont really have the time to listen to alot of music recently so i couldnt have so much money in a headphone sitting around not being used. Bought a nice Fender for that money instead
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back