Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Oct 22, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #33 of 1,087
> Is it just me or does this thing amplify exterior sound? Walking through Shinjuku made me queasy.

I feel some resonance in the wood housing, it may emphasis the incoming noise maybe but I am not so sure..

> Am interested in what type of cable you chose (if there are options) and if you found an increase in SQ that would make it worth the effort?

I ordered the same one to the Senn cable V2 with option1(black thin sleeve).
ES7 recabling flatten the freq responses and improves the SQ some degree.

> Do you have any other AT cans esp. in the Axxx or Wxxxx series.

I have L3000 but it is completely different..

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #34 of 1,087
How does it compare to the L3000 in terms of bass, mids and treble? (by ammount, not quality) Is it wearable outside or will you look goofy?
icon10.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #35 of 1,087
Those are too different to compare with
smily_headphones1.gif

If I had to say, ESW9 is not a basshead can like L3000 while the bass quality is decent for the class.
How it looks is subjective thing but IMO it's chic and not being so embarrassed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it compare to the L3000 in terms of bass, mids and treble? (by ammount, not quality) Is it wearable outside or will you look goofy?
icon10.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #36 of 1,087
Sasaki Can you make the full review of ESW9 please?

Also, the comparison for ESW9 vs ES7 would be great. although you said it's not fair because your ES7 was recabled, I think it would be ok since some people claim ESW9s are not in the same league as ES7.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #37 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by zChan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought it tonight.
Is it just me or does this thing amplify exterior sound? Walking through Shinjuku made me queasy.

the weak isolation doesn't surprise me. the es7 didn't isolate too well either and mine have been been blue-tak'd and stuffed with cotton, which i thought would help. because of that, i've never tried to use the es7 portably but the heavy bass does a good job of cutting through ambient noises. i don't see the esw9 as being a true portable can either.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #38 of 1,087
Mine is on the way, hope it gets on the plane before the weekend. Weak isolation doesnt bother me, actually i dont like being isolated from the outside world too much, i strongly dislike IEMs for that reason. I'd like to hear when a car hits me
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #40 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the weak isolation doesn't surprise me. the es7 didn't isolate too well either and mine have been been blue-tak'd and stuffed with cotton, which i thought would help. because of that, i've never tried to use the es7 portably but the heavy bass does a good job of cutting through ambient noises. i don't see the esw9 as being a true portable can either.

I have the ES7 as well, and I love walking in a noisy neighborhood with it. It was my favorite walking can.
I presumed that ESW9 has the same isolation ability as the ES7. However, the resonance is... rather difficult to adjust to.

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #41 of 1,087
So after whittling down my choices to the ES7's and the HD-25-1's, I'll have to add the ESW9's.

When they say portable, surely the don't require an amp ?

Although are you guys suggesting that the ESW9's might not be ideal for rock music?

Certainly at the top of my price range. Wonder if it would be worth the extra...

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #42 of 1,087
> Sasaki Can you make the full review of ESW9 please?
> Also, the comparison for ESW9 vs ES7 would be great.

OK, though far from the full review, I will add more impressions so far.
My usual setup is iMod5.5G/Cryo X Silver/SR71.

In short, I'd say the ESW9 is not a wooden version of ES7. The character is different and sounding better. However, it still shares similar sound signature, those are same AT cans anyway.

To my ears, ESW9 sounds airly and open with wider sound stage. ESW9 is rather laid back, I think.
Instruments are well separated and the timbre is beautiful. I feel some resonance in a good way. (though some people may have a claim)
I noticed the ESW9 treble is well extended and much refined than ES7. ES7 treble extension seems rolled off compared to the ESW9.
Bass is not humped nor bloated like ES7 but strong enough in a good way. ESW9 has good resolution in the lower register. The resolution is no mean feat for the stock cable. In fact, bass resolution is better than recabled ES7.

Overall ESW9 is way refined than ES7. In contrast, ESW9 lacks weight of ES7 and I feel ESW9 is a bit light touch. Comparing to the HD25 would be similar. This could be a downside for some people.

I think that's all I can say at this moment.

> When they say portable, surely the don't require an amp ?

Efficiency of ESW9 is lower for that class but I think no need to use amps. It's good straight from iPod.
However, ESW9 will shine with a decent amp. I enjoy a synergy with SR71, the sound from that combo is intimate warmer sounding, fairly engaging.

> Although are you guys suggesting that the ESW9's might not be ideal for rock music?

Well, this is also a bit subjective, I guess Heavy metal fan would have a frustration as the sound is not so heavy nor massive.
I like progressive rock, 80's alternatives, 4AD like Gothic style rock, ESW9 is good for these.
IMHO the word rock is too broad for that genre
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #43 of 1,087
Sasaki

Thanks for the follow-up impressions....I like the design of these and it sounds like I would enjoy the sound of them as well.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #44 of 1,087
Yeah, thanks for taking the time to give us some more details. These cans could well be exactly what i'm looking for. Sounds like they might be worth the extra money after all. I hope the isolation is ok.

Oct 27, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #45 of 1,087
thanks for your impression.
biggrin.gif

Does the sound signature similar to L3000s?

I mean a bit laid back, but full of detail and good sound stage (but not as wide as W5000s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back