Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Nov 10, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #91 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree with this assessment concerning the ATH-ESW9. If you are interested in a true good sounding portable you need look no further.

How about a comparison to your Ultrasone Edition 9, just for fun?
smily_headphones1.gif

What aspects of the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 are close, and which aspects are blown away?

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #92 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a comparison to your Ultrasone Edition 9, just for fun?
smily_headphones1.gif

What aspects of the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 are close, and which aspects are blown away?

This is possibly a mine field for me since I really don't ever like to say something bad about equipment that at least provides some real satisfaction for me as both of these units do.

Simply put the UE9 is like sleeping in silk on a cloud while the ESW9 is like sleeping in high thread count cotton sheets on my "Sleep Number Bed". The UE9 has a sound package that is more comfortable all around while the ESW9 still very satisfying.

Details....soundstage is more encompassing and precise with the UE9 and the ESW9 is more limited. Timbre is best on the UE9 but the ESW9 does almost as well on the mid-frequencies and lower highs. I hear the bass on the UE9 down to 25 hz with normal sound levels while the ESW9 only does this to 30 hz. The UE9 have better control in the bass frequencies.

The fact that the ESW9 is so clear and detailed for one quarter the price of the UE9 is very surprising.

In my office where the background normally ranges from 60-65 dB I have no problems with outside noise or leakage coming out of the ESW9. Isolation is not as good for the ESW9 as the UE9 for my part. When I put on the ESW9 in the office it cuts certain frequencies out but that allows my attention to focus on a range that sounds like white noise. This is not what I was used to with my noise canceling headphones, ATH-ANC7 This is only a problem before hearing music and between tracks. The ESW9 is much less fatiguing compared with the ANC7s. I guess this is because of the ANC of the ANC7. The ESW9 is simply superior to the ANC7s in music reproduction while the ANC7s is very near a stock HD580 in quality.

Maybe more later.

I do not listen to a lot of congested music but for the tracks with congestion that I have listened to the ESW9 shows real distance between it and the UE9 for those. From my viewpoint the UE9 is so much in control that it can make even music that I do not normally listen too listenable. Maybe after a more extensive burn-in period the EWS9 will provide more control over tracks with lots of things going on across many frequency ranges. The slightly sibilant highs that are mention above is again part of the ESW9s congestion problem I think. With lots of strings going on it sounds slightly sibilant, but I think it is just not in control yet and needs more time. I hope this is the case. It is great for acoustic music and jazz vocals.

Nov 25, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #94 of 1,087
I ordered a pair of these. Couldn't help it. Should be here in the next few weeks.

Nov 25, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #95 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im using mine now for a few days and im really enjoying them. The Isolation works perfectly, even in germanys storm & rainy weather, it blocks out ambient noise with avrg listening volume ie. you wont hear any rain while walking with them. I also dont experience any kind of resonance with walking, the headphones and the cable are dead silent, no microphonics or other noises.

The sound is fantastic, without wanting to hype this headphone i think it's safe to say it's the most capable portable headphone to date (IEMs aside).
There arent any real "high-end" contenders to begin with.
The HD25-1, im officially not a fan of it , but seriously the sennheiser doesnt have much to offer against the ESW9 unless you specificly prefer it's kind of sound. Closed in with almost no soundstage, strong kickbass, slightly metallic mids & slightly sibliant highs. People might see it as a closed grado but that's not really the case. I love grados but i dislike the HD25-1. The Sennheiser is really missing the mids to match grado. And even grado has more soundstage.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and i have to say they trump the hd 25-1 with ease in every aspect besides isolation and comfort. the esw9 might be the first "audiophile" portable headphone (sans iems).

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #96 of 1,087
I received mine this morning and I've been listening to them for an hour, they're incredible !
I can't make any statement for now, but indeed I think they might be the first audiophile portable headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm also reviewing the ES7 for a french website. I'll probably write something about the differences betweens those two pairs, if so would you be interested in an english translation ?

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #97 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildsurfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received mine this morning and I've been listening to them for an hour, they're incredible !
I can't make any statement for now, but indeed I think they might be the first audiophile portable headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm also reviewing the ES7 for a french website. I'll probably write something about the differences betweens those two pairs, if so would you be interested in an english translation ?

Yes, please!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #98 of 1,087
Oh for crying out loud... just when I bought a pair of ES7
frown.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #102 of 1,087
Quote:

A teaser just for you
tongue.gif

Wow! Super cool looking cans - and I read here, they don't sound that bad.

Santa Claus is coming to town...
tongue.gif
. Time to retire good ol' MS-1.

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #105 of 1,087
Quote:

....I think they might be the first audiophile portable headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

I can agree with this assessment..it is a very good sounding portable headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back