Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Mar 9, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #557 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listen to small combo jazz or classical the ATH-ESW9 would be a nice match. Like slwiser stated if you are into rock, hip hop, or blues then look else ware.

Oh no, Please don't tell me that, I am about to sell my ES7 to fund those. Am I making a mistake.
confused.gif
I am in all genres of music but rock probably dominates.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #558 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no, Please don't tell me that, I am about to sell my ES7 to fund those. Am I making a mistake.
confused.gif

I have read from others who believe it find with those genre but I am not one of them.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #559 of 1,087
thanks mrarroyo and slwiser for the inputs. I'm going to skip these. I listen to a lot of indian music with complex instrumentation. A lot of them tend to be bass heavy as well. At this point I'm very satisfied with the 780s for these genres.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #560 of 1,087
Quote:

confused.gif

I disagree with slwiser in this matter - most of my listening is either Trance or Rock (bass heavy tracks or electric instruments), and muddiness is not an issue at all (assuming proper equipment, with Pico that you have Andrew, these are delicious).

SLWiser: I don't want to be picking on you here Steve, but I do want to point out your bias against distortion based instruments, which I think sound great with W5000 but to you were unlistenable.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #561 of 1,087
Quote:

confused.gif

I tell you what, buy them and if you do not like them you can sell them to me. FYI, you can buy them from Warehouse123.com for $269 plus S&H, the total should be about $290. I figure you would sell them to me at an slight discount.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #562 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree with slwiser in this matter - most of my listening is either Trance or Rock (bass heavy tracks or electric instruments), and muddiness is not an issue at all (assuming proper equipment, with Pico that you have Andrew, these are delicious).

SLWiser: I don't want to be picking on you here Steve, but I do want to point out your bias against distortion based instruments, which I think sound great with W5000 but to you were unlistenable.

Muchos gracias, Stas (I mean спасибо).

Miguel, thanks for the pointer.

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #563 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MaloS

This point though is very true that you make. I don't like distortion based instruments very much. I listen to them some but not that much.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #565 of 1,087
Very little to get to enjoy these...if any really. Out of the plastic case it had a nice sound to me.

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #566 of 1,087
I am really thinking of buying these headphones. Are they really worth much more than the ES7 or ES9? How is the leakage like? Will I be able to use them on the subway, without having people staring at me because they leak too much? Are they comfortable enough for long usage (eg more than 4 hours)?
Cheers

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #567 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamatt22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really thinking of buying these headphones. Are they really worth much more than the ES7 or ES9? How is the leakage like? Will I be able to use them on the subway, without having people staring at me because they leak too much? Are they comfortable enough for long usage (eg more than 4 hours)?
Cheers

I think you would like these very much for the use that you intend. These are much better than the the ES9 for sure which I have had. I have not had the ES7 so I have nothing for you with that one.

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #568 of 1,087
Quote:

Cheers

There is absolutely no leakage but they don't prevent you hearing the outside. Depending on your tolerance, you may be annoyed by the sounds surrounding you in the subway.

I can wear mines for quite long sessions 3-4 hours, i find them pretty comfortable. Anyway, it depends on your head/ears.

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #569 of 1,087
Quote:

Cheers

I only have ES7 A-B for a moment when I was looking at the store, at that time ESW9 seems to sound better for me. They do leak a bit, but no one seems to complained yet when I used it in office or subway. But these babies sound sweet as butter when it is quite
biggrin.gif
(the guitar..the deep punchy bass..
eek.gif
)

As for subway, it doesn't completely isolate all the noise that well. For me it seems that only the mids come through while the low and high were transparent. Turning up the volume helps though, but don't expect isolation like IEM.

For comfort, it's ok I guess when compared it to my DENON AH-D2000 pillow headphone
smily_headphones1.gif
. There is slight discomfort when you wear it, but gone after a while and leave you with this warm and fuzzy feeling (great for winter!)

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #570 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you would like these very much for the use that you intend. These are much better than the the ES9 for sure which I have had. I have not had the ES7 so I have nothing for you with that one.

I've to agree with that : it's exactly the way is use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back