Wood scratch treatments
Mar 24, 2007 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dimitris

Headphoneus Supremus
I have scratched my speaker stands as I was trying to put them together. They are wooden and their color is black. It seems that the scratches aren't very deep however the color has come off (around 1mm deep). Anyone has any suggestions on how to treat them. Is there a way to fill in the gap and paint them on top?

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have scratched my speaker stands as I was trying to put them together. They are wooden and their color is black. It seems that the scratches aren't very deep however the color has come off (around 1mm deep). Anyone has any suggestions on how to treat them. Is there a way to fill in the gap and paint them on top?

pic of the stands?

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 14
BTW, that's not wood, that's particle board or low grade MDF. Just go to a home repair store and get a small tube of wood filler. Because of the edge gash, you'll need to get a rigid wood filler (sometimes called plastic wood). Apply it to the gash, then let it dry, sand it down, then paint over it with matte touch up paint similar to the color of the black finish. However, if you want a perfect finish, you're going to have to completely refinish them.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 14
That looks like a plastic laminate over MDF. I'd fill in the gap with a very light layer of Bondo and sand it with 600+ grit paper to get it smooth. Then I'd carefully apply a light amount of touchup paint over it. It won't be perfect, but it'll be one of those repairs you won't notice unless you specifically look for it. That's OK on speaker stands since the eye will draw to the speakers, not the stands.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 14
yea it looks to just be a thin layer over some MDF.
I would suggest talking to the compny to get the best results.
Fial a claim with Fex Ex or whoever it is.
[im under the understanding that you just got them]

Mar 24, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Yeah! I just got them but I am the moron who scratched them.
frown.gif
It looks like a thin layer of color over the wooden MDF. I think I will follow your advise and try to fix it. Thanks!

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 14
My suggestion is to go to WalMart and buy a small box of Crayola crayons. Rub the Black crayon vigorously back and forth over the scratch (go across the scratch not lengthwise) until it's well filled in, then buff it with an old T-shirt to remove excess crayon. It won't be perfect, but it will work quite well, and be much less noticable. If you can't get it filled in all the way try melting the crayon into the chip with a lighter. After it hardens you can use a soft cloth and a bit of alcohol to level it.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
talk about page stretching, it's hard to find my way around those images. the crayola method sounds stupid but i think it would probably work pretty well if you're careful....

Actually the crayola works, the wood filler pencils provided by the major furniture stores are basically the same thing. I would probaly put a bit of clear on top of the crayola to protect it a bit.

Mar 25, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #14 of 14
I use flat black Rustoleum spray paint over wood and stone to make attractive bases for my African art pieces. Do it outdoors, light layers, to avoid drip marks.

If you want to fill and sand first, you can, but the paint just might obscure the defect from all but the closest inspection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back