Wood cups for D2000 or New headphones
Feb 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
I have had a d2000 and a d5000 at the same time. the d5000 has slightly deeper, warmer bass. thats it. the difference is actually very small.

for that matter, i have had a fischer fa-003 and fa-002w at the same time. the sound difference is also very minimal.

however, the denons and the fischers sound very different from each other :)

As I know, difference between Fischer FA-002 and FA-003 is only in cups - they have same drivers. But different cups give a little different sound. 
smile.gif
Wooden cups give a more difference in sound.
What difference in sound of Denons and Fischers for you?

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #17 of 22

Quote:

3/4 of the fun of this hobby (for me) is how easy it is to hear something else...  It takes some people a few dozen tries before they have a sound they like.

+1

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #18 of 22
I think it would make more sense to try modding what you have rather than dropping a bunch of money on wood cups. I would personally give something like the markl mod a try.

If I were to mod a pair of D2000s, here is how I would probably do it (unless you're going for the open-backed mod):

1. Remove the stock dampening from the D2000 cups.
2. Line the cups with Dynamat Xtreme (you can get two 12" x 12" sheets for around $20, which is more than enough).
3. Line the top of the Dynamat with Paxmate (newest/best version) or Silverstone acoustic foam (pretty cheap on Amazon for a whole bunch of it).
4. Place Dynamat on the back of the driver magnet/housing (like the markl mod). You may also want to consider covering this Dynamat with the acoustic foam as well. If you do, just make sure it isn't covering any
"breathing" holes on the back of the driver.
5. Line the front side of the driver baffle with Dynamat. There is a stencil floating around for this somewhere. I personally was never able to get this right...it's not easy!
6. Try the earpad stuffing as seen in the markl mod. Alternatively, Lawton Audio has their new angle pads for the Denon headphones. If they are anything like the J$ pads, they should provide more refinement to the sound overall.
7. (Optional) If you find them to be too bright or sibilant, try experimenting with various open foam material placed directly in front of the driver. I trimmed off the edges/flaps of my KSC75 earpads and placed that in front of my D2000 drivers.
8. (Optional) Recable them! The stock D2000 cable can be improved upon. Personally, I prefer the stock cable. My Mogami 2534 replacement cable made my D2000s more sibilant to my ears.

So, more or less, I'm recommending you try a slightly modified version of the markl mod. The main difference here is the acoustic foam you'd be applying on top of the Dynamat. This is primarily to prevent unwanted acoustic reflections, aid in sound absorption, and help dampen the cups just a tiny bit more. The Dynamat + Silverstone acoustic foam has been a very solid combo for me when modding headphones.

The stock dampening in the D2000 isn't that impressive. The Dynamat + Silverstone acoustic foam combo should be provide a more refined sound. If you check out the D2000 graphs on Innerfidelity, the J$ pads seem to help even out the sound signature overall. I think the LA angle pads + mods I've mentioned should keep the original sound signature intact while providing refinement all around.

Just a guess, though. I'd try these on my own D2000 if I hadn't turned them into open-backed headphones!

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
I think it would make more sense to try modding what you have rather than dropping a bunch of money on wood cups. I would personally give something like the markl mod a try.

If I were to mod a pair of D2000s, here is how I would probably do it (unless you're going for the open-backed mod):

1. Remove the stock dampening from the D2000 cups.
2. Line the cups with Dynamat Xtreme (you can get two 12" x 12" sheets for around $20, which is more than enough).
3. Line the top of the Dynamat with Paxmate (newest/best version) or Silverstone acoustic foam (pretty cheap on Amazon for a whole bunch of it).
4. Place Dynamat on the back of the driver magnet/housing (like the markl mod). You may also want to consider covering this Dynamat with the acoustic foam as well. If you do, just make sure it isn't covering any
"breathing" holes on the back of the driver.
5. Line the front side of the driver baffle with Dynamat. There is a stencil floating around for this somewhere. I personally was never able to get this right...it's not easy!
6. Try the earpad stuffing as seen in the markl mod. Alternatively, Lawton Audio has their new angle pads for the Denon headphones. If they are anything like the J$ pads, they should provide more refinement to the sound overall.
7. (Optional) If you find them to be too bright or sibilant, try experimenting with various open foam material placed directly in front of the driver. I trimmed off the edges/flaps of my KSC75 earpads and placed that in front of my D2000 drivers.
8. (Optional) Recable them! The stock D2000 cable can be improved upon. Personally, I prefer the stock cable. My Mogami 2534 replacement cable made my D2000s more sibilant to my ears.

So, more or less, I'm recommending you try a slightly modified version of the markl mod. The main difference here is the acoustic foam you'd be applying on top of the Dynamat. This is primarily to prevent unwanted acoustic reflections, aid in sound absorption, and help dampen the cups just a tiny bit more. The Dynamat + Silverstone acoustic foam has been a very solid combo for me when modding headphones.

The stock dampening in the D2000 isn't that impressive. The Dynamat + Silverstone acoustic foam combo should be provide a more refined sound. If you check out the D2000 graphs on Innerfidelity, the J$ pads seem to help even out the sound signature overall. I think the LA angle pads + mods I've mentioned should keep the original sound signature intact while providing refinement all around.

Just a guess, though. I'd try these on my own D2000 if I hadn't turned them into open-backed headphones!

Thanks for the suggestions.  It sounds like this mod is reversable if I don't like the sound.  I am assuming that with this being a lite version of the MarkL Mod that I would be able to find pics of how to do this on the MarkL mod thread? I will have to give this a try when I have some spare time. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions.  It sounds like this mod is reversable if I don't like the sound.  I am assuming that with this being a lite version of the MarkL Mod that I would be able to find pics of how to do this on the MarkL mod thread? I will have to give this a try when I have some spare time. 

Yeah, any pictures you need can be found with the markl mod threads. My suggestions are basically just the standard markl mods with a couple tweaks/additions.

It is technically reversible, but it is a huge PITA trying to remove Dynamat once you apply it to a surface. To put it bluntly, Dynamat is such a PITA to remove that it might as well be considered permanent. The Silverstone acoustic foam is also a PITA to remove, but not nearly as much as Dynamat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back