Wood cups for D2000 or New headphones
Feb 1, 2012 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Chadley

Head-Fier
I have had my Denon D2000 for a year now and I am looking at either getting wooden cups (probably from Lawton Audio) or new headphones.  I wanted to know if spending almost $300 on wooden cups makes that much of a difference in sound, or should I save my money and put it toward a different set of headphones.  I just can't wrap my head around how a set of wooden cups could make enough of a difference to justify the price over a new pair of $300 headphones.
For those that have swaped out the plastic cups for wooden cups do you feel it was worth it or do you wish you would have spent the money on other headphones. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 22
Why not switch to D5000? I'm kind of unusual, but I like my wood to have a minimum of pock-marks and pits in it. Nice and smooth like it was sculpted by the hands of a goddess. Like the wood on the R10, Denon-made woodies, or ATH headphones for example - you can't help but admire wood that nice. It is extremely rare for me to be impressed with DIY cups, but YMMV.

Now that thats out there, if your just not digging the D2000 anymore sell them. There is no shame in that. 3/4 of the fun of this hobby (for me) is how easy it is to hear something else...  It takes some people a few dozen tries before they have a sound they like.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 22
nikongod, have you heard both D2000 and D5000? If yes, is there a dramatic difference in their sound? I have D2000 and like them much. :)

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 22
I love my D2000 and don't think that I could part with them at this moment.  I love the smooth laid back sound they produce.  I am looking for something different right now but just don't know what.  Weather it be a more improved/refined d2000 sound or a completely different sound such as the sennheiser hd598, hd 600, akg 702 or something else.  I bought the grado 225i a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed the sound but couldn't stand the lack of comfort so I sent them back.  I'm curious how much of an improvement wooden cups actually make. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 22
May be try Fischer Audio Fa 002/003 with wooden cups? They new with wooden cups will be cost as wooden cups for D2000. :) And they sound different to D2000. Mmm?

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
I'll have to check out the fischer audio headphones.

^^ They are one of my headphones of interest. I saw some in Sell/Trade topic or you can purchase it from their site, and choose what cups you want.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
Why not just buy the stock D5000 wooden cups for $59?

This is much cheaper than $300 - Chadley says about such sum. I think this is good variant. Can you give a link? This is interesting and for me too.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 22
Wood's better than plastic for resonance issues. $300 for cups is ridiculous, plus I don't believe that you will hear the difference between dynamat wood cups and dynamat plastic cups. If you like yours Denon, stick to it, recable it and do the markl mod, change pads or something else.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
Wood's better than plastic for resonance issues. $300 for cups is ridiculous, plus I don't believe that you will hear the difference between dynamat wood cups and dynamat plastic cups. If you like yours Denon, stick to it, recable it and do the markl mod, change pads or something else.

I have been tempted to do the Markl mod but have read mixed reviews.  The last thing I want to do is do the markl mod and be in the hate group (but then again I could be in the love group).  I may just keep my denons as is since I do enjoy their sound already and look for a new pair of phones.  Are there any headphones that are like the denons in that they can handle most types of music you throw at it but at the same time has a very different sound then the denons.  I also wouldn't consider my self a bass head but I do like to be able to hear it when it is present.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
I was wondering of an e11 amp is a better purchase than wood cup?

I purchased the e10 amp a few weeks ago which made a favorable difference.  I am now just looking at what I can do to the headphones themself for improvement/change of sound.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
Quote:
Why not just buy the stock D5000 wooden cups for $59?

This is much cheaper than $300 - Chadley says about such sum. I think this is good variant. Can you give a link? This is interesting and for me too.

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page13.html

They get them in every so often, you may have to wait until their next batch. You will have to mod them a bit to get them to fit (they will not fit the D2000's stock), you can probably find a guide on how to do it on these forums.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 22
I have had a d2000 and a d5000 at the same time. the d5000 has slightly deeper, warmer bass. thats it. the difference is actually very small.

for that matter, i have had a fischer fa-003 and fa-002w at the same time. the sound difference is also very minimal.

however, the denons and the fischers sound very different from each other :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back