wood cone speaker update
May 12, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #16 of 40
A 4" speakers won't give you much punch in a large room, nor will it give you enough deep bass. What it will give is a super tight bass down to about 50Hz or so max. By adding even a cheap $200 sub you could end up with it all in one neat package, and for pretty cheap. If bass isn't a high priority you could make due without the sub until the finances came in, or you got used to the loss of low-end.

Having said that I was amazedat how good the little 4" Executive speakers did bass wise. It really made the other 5-6.5" speakers feel ashamed due to their inept bass punch and response. Even my wife was amazed at how good they were. The next step up were the Yamaha system speakers with 6.5" woofers.

Don't go expecting to get subwoofer or 8" woofer bass from the JVC unit, and then be prepared for a shock as to how good the bass it has sounds.

May 12, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #17 of 40
I went in a did a little listening to my trusty FS-2000 (the original cherry wood executive system I believe) This one actually has 3 inch speakers and sounds great... though I do have a tiny powered RCA subwoofer (4 inch) to add a little on the low end. But I was very happy even before I got the sub. This little charm was my main system in my college days. Now it resides in my bedroom and unfortunatly gets little use other than as a fancy alarm clock since my wife cannot get to sleep with even the smallest sound anywhere. I really do miss listening to the nice music it produced... I have been nothing but smiles ever since I bought it. I even considered getting the FS-SD9, the second generation that came out with the real cool full top that automatically raised to load your CD.

a link to a recent eBay auction for a FS-SD9 unit

I also went and tested the headphone output with my ATH-W1000's and HD-600's and was pretty dang happy with the results. No impedance problems with either, no glaring loss of fidelity, no thinning of the sound. I hope that they kept it pretty good on the newest generation.

Next to just get my hands on the EX-A1...

The anticipation is killing me!

May 12, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #18 of 40
I used to have an FS-SD7, and i liked it a lot, especially with a little (6") subwoofer to add a little extra grunt. That's a big reason why i'm so interested in this new unit, marketing hype and unique charm aside.

i found five places online selling this unit besides J&R, that's a significant increase from the two places i found it listed before yesterday
tongue.gif
Links to the five new places are:

http://www.electronicscity.com/produ...roducts_id=349

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sharperi...est/jv567.html

http://focuscamera.com/sc/froogle-le...&sid=160149174

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/ma...&sid=160149174

http://www.acephotodigital.com/sc/ma...ate=05_11_2004

and here's yet another photo, this one showing various driver possibilities considered for the EX-A1.
wooddev11.jpg

May 14, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #20 of 40
just got an "in stock alert" from J&R. I am going to check with electronics city first then if no luck, go with this...

May 19, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #22 of 40
I decided that a little patience is worth th $50 savings... Electronicscity.com is expecting there order in on monday or tuesday of next week. Amazon.com is selling them, via J&R, so no free shipping.

the wait is killing me!

Mahkook

May 25, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #25 of 40
Yippeee! Bought one in Hongkong for only $399 (HK$3,100 + you don't need to pay tax in HK :).

The sound I'd say is simply the best among mini-combos and most of the mid-range HiFi's. Imaging is nearly perfect, a bit weak in the bass though but I won't say it is not good - it is still shockingly amazing to see such a good bass performance on a small cone speaker - just that it is not up to those 12" super-woofer thing, but hey, you've got a sub-woofer output at the EX-A1 end, too, so use it if you like! At the moment, I am fine with those two little speakers.

One suggestion, the speaker cables come with the package sucks. Don't use them, never.

Dadman.

May 25, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #26 of 40
Intersting stuff. I have to ask a question about the durability though. Wouldn't wood with all of it's grains and imperfections make for a bad cone? I mean if one were to drive it hard, wouldn't it crack or something? It is wood after all. Just wondering...

May 25, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #27 of 40
The EX-A1 was already reviewed in the last (May 05/04) issue of Stereo, over here. All in all, the tenor was fairly favourable, especially of the dvd-receiver-part (they mentioned good quality via headphone out, too). They were also quite fond of the speakers, but recommend adding a subwoofer - frequency response looked a bit wobbly to me, but definitely not bad for a single small cone...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 25, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #28 of 40
AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I was going to get it last night from the Good Guys website and get that great deal, but was pulled away from the computer before I could do it. Now this morning, I get up and go to buy it, and GONE!!!!!

Please tell me someone that this was an accidental early offering on thier behalf and that they are waiting for stock to actually arrive. Not that they sold out and won't be offering this deal again....

May 25, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #29 of 40
I just called good guys and the salesman says that it was most likely a special offering and that they aren't going to get more in.

(%*&@#@#%!!!!!!!!)

May 25, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #30 of 40
Hold the phone.... I went back to the web page to get the Eugene store number and see if they were going to get any and Voila! It was back! I quickly ordered it and hopefully it will be on its way very soon. As I promised a review upon getting it will follow.

Anyone have a lead on an Antique Sound Lab UHC to try out on this? I am debating that route...

Breathing a sigh of relief.....
icon10.gif

Mahkook

Users who are viewing this thread

Back