wood cone speaker update
May 9, 2004 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40
This has been posted before, but with the pending us release of the EX-A1 and the pending Japanese release of the EX-A5 and SX-WD5 i thought i would bring it back up.

for those who missed the first thread and for the new info, here are a few links

JVC's American press release for the EX-A1

EX-A1 at J and R

Watch Impress article about the EX-A5 and SX-WD5

babelfish does ok with the last link and the article includes several links to more info and some good pictures. Unfortunately i haven't been able to find any reviews or info that doesn't come straight from the JVC marketing department, but i still think it's interesting.

here are a few pics:
others_jvc_woodcone.jpg

EX-A1

LG4305A7.jpg

rear view of speaker

LG4305A4.jpg

cutaway of same

victor02.jpg

SX-WD5

wooddev14.jpg

wood cone speaker line-up

trurl_pagecontent5.jpg

Rear of EX-A1

The SX-WD5 will be available seperately in Japan this summer with an MSRP of about four hundred dollars. I assume that they will probably be released in other countries eventually, but who knows?

I've been looking for a minisystem, and i may pick up an EX-A1 in a couple of months. I used to have a similar JVC micro system that i liked a lot, so this one is pretty high on my list at the moment. Admittedly i'm a sucker for unique and/or unusual toys, but i don't think that's too unusual around these parts.

May 10, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 40
It figured it would be a JVC. I enjoyed a tiny JVC system with a single driver made of aluminum or something. It's range was incredible, as was its bass. I hope one of these makes it to the states as I would love to hear one of these wooden speaker systems.

May 10, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
It figured it would be a JVC. I enjoyed a tiny JVC system with a single driver made of aluminum or something. It's range was incredible, as was its bass. I hope one of these makes it to the states as I would love to hear one of these wooden speaker systems.

The single driver system is supposed to be available this month in America. I've seen it for $450, i'm sure that prices will come down a bit once they've been out for a while. The single driver speakers won't be available separately though, only the 2-ways.

I was a little surprised by the wooden tweeter too, but hey if it works then why not?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 40
Wow, that's gorgeous even though I doubt the sound is top of the line. I would still buy it just as a conversation piece thing for work.

May 11, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 40
I HAVE GOT TO GET ONE OF THESE!!!!

I went out and purchased the first cherry version of an executive desktop system that JVC came out with and was amazed at the quality for something so small and affordable. The wooden cones are curious... but as a woodshop teacher, I find myself uncontrolably drawn to them. I will probably bite and be the first one here to grab one up. I promise to post a reveiw when I do.

I would love to find out the specs of that headphone out section... expecially with the nice DAC specs.

Or if I could read Japanese and see if one of those jacks is an out...

Tchau!
Mahkook

May 11, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 40
mahkook,

It has an optical digital out, but no analog out. The two minijacks in the back are AV Compulink ports for hooking the system up to other JVC components and the RCA jacks are an analog input. I haven't been able to find any sort of specs on the headphone out, but i plan on using it with a DAC and amp for headphones anyway (unless the headphone out turns out to be good
wink.gif
)

I like the construction of the EX-A1, the binding posts are a nice touch on such a small unit and the speakers look nice and solid.

A review would be very much appreciated, I'm awfully curious to find out how one of these sounds and if i can read about it before i end up actually buying one, then so much the better
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: here's the back of the unit in English
2004-4-5-102732m5gek4.jpg

May 11, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 40
well dang nabit on the line output thought... I have just emailed JVC asking about the headphone output. I asked for how it was driven, load design, and any other facts to know. I will post any reply I get... though the page said response within 5 days.

The email input window sucked.... it measured 1 inch by 3/4 inch to type in... makes it look like they really don't like to talk to customers.

Thanks for the pic! Maybe there would be some way of intercepting the line signal before it hits the amp section and tapping in a new output????

Mahkook

May 11, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 40
Man, I sure hope some local shop gets one of these in soon so I can at least take a listen. I won't buy one, much less need one, but to listen to one is now a goal I have.

May 11, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 40
I'll tell you this much, if it sounds even as good as the little executive system with a single ceramic driver I heard in 1999, it's a winner already. JVC did that single driver unit right, and the bass was outstanding for a 4" driver. It blew away everything else I had ever heard short of the Yamaha system I talked my dad into, which also ran twice the JVC's price tag.

May 12, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 40
I too received the email that they were now in stock and checked the webpage. It said the same as before... on order, but you can preorder now!

I called the company and they said that there must be a glitch in the system because they don't have any in stock, never have had any, and can't tell me when they will be on hand. Also called JVC about the unit and the lady couldn't tell me anything more than the JVC website said.... in fact that is the ONLY info she could find on it. She said they have no idea when it is coming out.

Bummer.

I guarantee you, I will get my hands on one and let you all know what I think. Anyone who gets any info on it or finds a US stock on hand, please let me know.

Tchau!
Mahkook

May 12, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 40
I am curious about these 4 inch cone speakers. How much bass can these things put out? In order to put out strong bass, these must function as near field monitors. It's physically impossible for a 4 inch cone to produce a decent amount of bass in a normal listening space. If this was possible, Bose would have done it long time ago (no, all those cute little acoustimass modules just don't cut it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back