wooaudio3+ vs darkvoice 336se
Aug 21, 2008 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shasty

100+ Head-Fier
which is better for ath-w5000, considering the price premium for the wooaudio?

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 10
Well, I know my DV336i was not very good with W5000 and had less bass than anyone would want, but my WA6 maxed was clearly better and still didn't have as much bass I would have liked with the W5000. I don't have a WA3+ to compare to the 336, but the main difference with the WA3+ and WA6 is the improved low impedance performance of the WA6.

Naamanf brought his W5000 over a while back to do a mini-meet while he was in town, and only his M^3 with bass contour knob (bass boost) could do a half-way decent job (it was his travel amp while visiting town). Don't know why, but he said they were very hard to drive and really needed a powerful amp and that he only has one amp that does them any real justice..

Neither of these amps lacks bass with most other headphone (except the CD-3000 and K701). They seem to sound great with 80% of the phones I have tried with them, except the ones listed above. As a matter of fact, I could not find any amp in my house to drive the W5000 properly. Yet, I just had my WA6 over at Blutarsky's house 2 days ago and it sounded very close to his Melos SHA Gold, with great bass bass and only a slightly smaller soundstage than the Melos (but not quite as good, so time to do tube Rolling).

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 10
Personally... I'd likely rather have the WA3+, because its supported by a great vendor, right here in the US (if you're located here).

Also - I prefer the tube selection of the WA3+.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 10
I think the WA3 is also the better choice, and I have owned both. Both amps are good, but the WA3 is a cut above in terms of sonic refinement IMO.

Neither of them will give the W5000 the bass it doesn't have, though, because the W5000 simply doesn't have any bass
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I know my DV336i was not very good with W5000 and had less bass than anyone would want, but my WA6 maxed was clearly better and still didn't have as much bass I would have liked with the W5000. I don't have a WA3+ to compare to the 336, but the main difference with the WA3+ and WA6 is the improved low impedance performance of the WA6.

Naamanf brought his W5000 over a while back to do a mini-meet while he was in town, and only his M^3 with bass contour knob (bass boost) could do a half-way decent job (it was his travel amp while visiting town). Don't know why, but he said they were very hard to drive and really needed a powerful amp and that he only has one amp that does them any real justice..

Neither of these amps lacks bass with most other headphone (except the CD-3000 and K701). They seem to sound great with 80% of the phones I have tried with them, except the ones listed above. As a matter of fact, I could not find any amp in my house to drive the W5000 properly. Yet, I just had my WA6 over at Blutarsky's house 2 days ago and it sounded very close to his Melos SHA Gold, with great bass bass and only a slightly smaller soundstage than the Melos (but not quite as good, so time to do tube Rolling).

suppose 336 se is an upgrade version of 336i.

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 10
The 336SE is a good amp. I enjoy mine. I still feel the WA3 was a little better, but in the end I kept the 336SE and sold the Woo, because I wanted a small amp that could use the 6SN7 tube, of which I have a small collection
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 336SE is a good amp. I enjoy mine. I still feel the WA3 was a little better, but in the end I kept the 336SE and sold the Woo, because I wanted a small amp that could use the 6SN7 tube, of which I have a small collection
wink.gif

My small collection of 336i tubes is worth about $400-500, hence the main reason I didn't sell it after I got the WA6 maxed. Plus, while the Woo is better with the majority of my headphones (including the borrowed W5000), the 336i has a nice synergy with my Edition 9 for some odd reason (as well as with my HD600) so I have kept it. I think about selling it every once in a while, then I listen to it and say Nah...

It seems like the OP needs to sell the W5000 and get some markl modded D5000, Edition 9, or Sony MDR10
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 10
noooo w5000 is too beautiful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back