WooAudio WA6 and ALO Aura Teflon iMod Dock
Feb 28, 2008 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17
I recently had Jack Wu of WooAudio build me a WA6 maxxed out and had him wire the whole thing up with ALO AuAg wire. Jack was more than accommodating in doing all my requests. I wanted a good tube headphone amp but because I wanted this unit for testing my builds I wanted it to fit in a certain work space. The WA6 being small it was a good choice for my needs. Sure I wanted a WA5 but it was too big for the space I needed it to live. Well after a few short weeks my WA6 arrived tonight and I could not be happier. Excellent work Mr. Wu!

I can not say enough good things about the build quality and sound from this wonderful amp. I am using a pair of 6EW7 big bottle tubes, as Mr. Wu informed me that this version of the WA6 can accommodate the fatter tubes now.

Also featured here is my first Aura Teflon iMod dock. Featuring the massive Aura Teflon CAPS. The enclosure is made of Paduke wood that my wood worker James Moore finished with loving care with many many layers of tung oil. Wow am I in heaven or what? Here are some photos of it with several modded headphones being tested.

test-equipments.jpg

Jacks testing gear giving my amp the final tests.

WA6clean-up.jpg

Jack with the final clean up of my amp.

WA6-AuAg.jpg

Jack wiring it up with the ALO Au/Ag wire.

WA6c.jpg

The set up, WA6, ALO Aura Teflon iMod dock JenaLabs Fugue interconnects, ALO AKG701s

Auradock.jpg

Auradock-back.jpg

ALO Aura Teflon Cap imod Dock

WA6780.jpg

Testing a new pair of ALO modded HFI780s

WA6Senn.jpg

Testing the ALO 18G JL Sennheiser cable on a HD600

WA6b.jpg

Inputs

OH THE JOY!!

More impressions after the burn in.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 28, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 17
Nice work with that new dock. The cabling on the HFI-780s looks real good. That is the Jena cable right? not the Vampire? With quarter plug?

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice work with that new dock. The cabling on the HFI-780s looks real good. That is the Jena cable right? not the Vampire? With quarter plug?

Hey Steve,

Thanks! No that is the Vampire wire, nice looking eh? its a mini but with a solid 1/4 adapter.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 17
LOVE this one! I am thinking about a Woo 6 at some point down the road.
smily_headphones1.gif

RIDE

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by RIDE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOVE this one! I am thinking about a Woo 6 at some point down the road.
smily_headphones1.gif

RIDE

My WA6 just keeps getting better and better, very open now. I have about 120 hours on it now and am super happy with it. bought a bunch of rectifier tubes for it, so far my NOS Mullard is the best, however oddly enough my inexpensive Sovtek sounds killer as well.

I am going to have a wood case for it made and will be lugging it with me to the Fla Head-fi meet this May.

kb

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 17
Wood case huh? Stellar!

Yeah...if a few of my new ventures take off, this is definitely on my list!

RIDE

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any comments on how the new Aura Teflon caps compare to your V-Caps?

Yeah I was just waiting for the caps in the WA6 and the dock it self to get some time on it. No doubt that the Aura Teflon dock is jaw dropping. I am going to be wiring up 2 Mundorf Gold Silver docks soon and wanted to get all 3 assessed. The Aura Teflon caps are pretty expensive but it does deliver on the money sound wise.

More soon.

Ken

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #12 of 17
Ken,

Please consider seriously a remote control for the dock. I tried to find a split male/female for the ipod out but couldn't find one slim snought to be fitted between the imod and dock. Without the remote we need longer interconnects so we can reach the dock (in a table at work, for example). Now also I understand the purpose of the large dock, as many times I find myself holding the imod and the dock when navigating. I was considering a device that could be used to hold the ipod and the dock in place thus alowing "single finger" operation, but I haven't tried anything yet.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 17
Here are some of the tubes I have been using with my WA6. These are all rectifier tubes. Oddly enough my favorite tube so far is the larger one on the right. I bought it off ebay for $5.99. The tube is a NOS 5C3S = 5U4G BLACK PLATE SVETLANA TUBE.

tubes.jpg

Ken

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

bought it off ebay for $5.99. The tube is a NOS 5C3S = 5U4G BLACK PLATE SVETLANA TUBE.

I got me one of those, I think. Yep, that's what mine is - my WA6 has the Sylvania 6DE7 and same Sovtek 5U4G as you in the photo.

My Amperex Bugle Boy shipped Friday, and my Maxxed WA6 got her Saturday. I just have to hook it up. I'll move the Dark Voice down to the home theater in the basement, since I think it might be too good to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back