WooAudio not popular??
Oct 29, 2006 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

nichifanlema

500+ Head-Fier
Just wondering....it has such a wonderful build quality, looks beautiful, with other points of excellence; but why is it not very popular here?

Is there a reason for this?

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 33
They used to be popular here, but I think other new amps surfaced and the whole FOTM took affect. There just isn't much discussion about them anymore, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are now not good all of a sudden...

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 33
I had a Woo3 for a while, my first tube amp. It was great. I only sold it to raise funds for an amp upgrade.

Another reason for the lack of popularity could be because Woo Audio doesn't seem to actively participate in Head-Fi meets like Headroom, RSA and Singlepower. I certainly don't recall any meet threads mentioning WA gear. Manufacturer presence at meets generates tremendous buzz on the boards.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 33
I had WA3 when I had several Senns. But I sold it because I moved to Grado/Alessandro camp and the synergy with Grado was less than stellar. Now...I am very curious about the new Woo6. It's suppose to be very synergistic with low impedance cans.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 33
Lots of competition in the sub $500. price point. Similar designs (tube OTL class A) offered @ 40% less outa Asia with perhaps less aestitics fit & finish, Q/C and some parts; With the competitions offering, perhaps sounding nearly as pleasing. This would be my best guess.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
Just wondering....it has such a wonderful build quality, looks beautiful, with other points of excellence; but why is it not very popular here?

Is there a reason for this?

It is popular - just do a few searches on: Woo, WA3, Woo 3, etc., and you'll find more than you can read. Several users report they sound as good, or better than the SP Slams.

As the others have said the WA3 is great with Senns and other high impedence phones, but less so with Grados and low impedence phones.

But, WooAudio also offers the WA2, WA4, and WA6 which are reportedly great with both - particularly the WA4 and WA6, which are transformer coupled amps which drive low impedence phones better than the WooAudio OTL amps.

It's just that there's currently a lot more discussion activity around a few other amps.

Oct 30, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 33
Greatly OT but...
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane

Ive noticed in your other pic you have the the audio going through the meier cross and then have the micros crossfeed on? Does the double dose of active and passive crossfeed work better together?
confused.gif

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 33
This is an interesting thread. I have been looking at WooAudio amps for a while now (ever since I started seeing the Woo3 on eBay).

Since he started putting the Electrostatic Amp into production, I have been very curious to hear them, or to see a review (I would like to upgrade from the 006t). But for some reason I have not been able to pull the trigger on buying one. Despite the build quality, and solid design, I don't seem to have the confidence in the end result.

Maybe it is a personal problem that I need to work on, but the premise of this thread makes me think that there is something going on. I agree with socrates63, that there is no buzz. He needs to get the amps to the shows, get some reviews going.

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
Greatly OT but...

Ive noticed in your other pic you have the the audio going through the meier cross and then have the micros crossfeed on? Does the double dose of active and passive crossfeed work better together?
confused.gif

The crossfeed on the Meier unit is switched off in that other picture.

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 33
"I agree with socrates63, that there is no buzz. He needs to get the amps to the shows, get some reviews going."

Brands like SinglePower, Ray Samuels Audio, Eddie Current and Headroom, as well as some others tend to get more attention because they actively participate with < Headfi >, and <Headfi > meets, etc.

Other brands like MapleTree, Woo, Heed and EAR HP, as well as some others, have had less direct involvement with us, so tend not to get as much press. This does not mean their products are not good, and shouldn't be considered.

I at one point I suggested to Dr. Lloyd (MapleTree) that he could increase his exposure, and sales if he were to come to some meets. But ultimately his just wasn't interested in doing so, and was content with how things are.

- augustwest

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 33
The Woo amp is very popular.

I know at least one person who had the Woo 3 and a Singlepower at the same time, then sold the singlepower to keep the Woo.

Now others prefer the Singlepower.

I enjoyed the Woo 3 - very smooth and pleasing sound with nice instrument timbre.

I prefer the Bada PH12 because of its 3-D imaging qualities but others would like the Woo 3.

Even the low priced ($200) Xian Sheng 708 B gives good sound for the bucks.

I dislike solid state (tone body too lean) but SS has some great qualities.

Much depends on personal preferences and fit into your system.

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
The crossfeed on the Meier unit is switched off in that other picture.

I feel Ownered.
Pardon me I was hungry and cold when reading this thread, and now that Im slightly less hungry and more cold, I do realized that the corda cross is for the woo..
All of you must be terrified..mortified...petrified......stupified by my morning posts.

Oct 30, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
I feel Ownered.
Pardon me I was hungry and cold when reading this thread, and now that Im slightly less hungry and more cold, I do realized that the corda cross is for the woo..
All of you must be terrified..mortified...petrified......stupified by my morning posts.

lol
tongue.gif
yes, I use the CC-1 only with the WA3. The Micro Amp is used with a direct analog feed from a CDP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
The crossfeed on the Meier unit is switched off in that other picture

Yes, good catch.It's hard to tell with those crappy,blurry pics(not really)...I need a better camera.

Oct 30, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 33
i had a woo3 and liked it alot for what it was, i sold it to upgrade and switch to solid state but i will probibly rebuy one eventually, it has very realistic soundstage and imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back