Woo3 Modified
Dec 23, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #151 of 249
redrich2000 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
I also requested that my amp be built with the preamp function and circuitry deleted, and when Woo built my amp without the preamp circuitry they automatically paralleled the input tubes for me./QUOTE]

Thanks, perfect answer!

Did they charge any extra for deleting the preamp function? I don't really need a preamp out either so might request that.

Nope, no extra charge. I would guess that Woo probably saves money by not having to take the time to wire the preamp section, so there really would be no need to charge extra for deleting it.

Dec 23, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #152 of 249
Can you characterize the change in sound when preamp is deleted?

I too don't need preamp, but wonder about balance between resale issues and sound quality.

Thanks for any opinions/experiences about this.

Dec 23, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #153 of 249
It looks like you have done some interesting work here, jamato8. A quick question: Did you note any problems with hum in the Woo 3's stock configuartion? I apologize in advance if you have already addressed this matter in one of the numerous posts in this thread.

Dec 23, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #154 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by jxb2
Can you characterize the change in sound when preamp is deleted?

I too don't need preamp, but wonder about balance between resale issues and sound quality.

Thanks for any opinions/experiences about this.

jamato8 would be the one to comment on sound quality differences between a paralleled/non paralleled WA3.

I personally would take sound quality over resale value any day, but having said that it's just possible that a paralleled input tube/non preamp equipped WA3 could in fact fetch a better price than one with a preamp.

Dec 23, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #155 of 249
I just dropped by and to my surprise this old thread was revived.

By paralleling the 6DJ8 you have double the current and drive capabilities and a better dynamic range for the 6080 (or whatever). I never had any hum problems with the Woo. They use AC on the filaments, which is the most dynamic and musical way to go, as long as you do not pick up hum, which I did not. I made suggestions to the manufacture a few times about changes but they never responded. That is too bad becuase I think others have found improvement in what I did. The Woo 3 has a beautiful cas and a nice simple internal layout. It is easy to mod because of the room and nice quality of point to point wiring. Circuit boards are horrible for modding after the first time (traces lift etc) and with point to point you do not have the problems of capacitance and dialetric that you have with a pcb.

The Woo 3 should giv e you some nice sound and it wouldn't hurt to ask for what you want in changes. I notice that they did stop putting in the blocking caps, which only degrade the signal and serve no purpose in the modern day of circuitry. Rolling tubes is very important to get the sound you really want but I would let a new amp burn in for about 200 hours before making changes or you will not know what is really changing, the amp or the tubes.

Have fun,

John

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #156 of 249
redrich2000 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
I also requested that my amp be built with the preamp function and circuitry deleted, and when Woo built my amp without the preamp circuitry they automatically paralleled the input tubes for me./QUOTE]

Thanks, perfect answer!

Did they charge any extra for deleting the preamp function? I don't really need a preamp out either so might request that.

Do you have a close up picture of the "mod"?

Dec 23, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #157 of 249
Hi John (jamato8),

Thank you very much for your commentary--it is very helpful. I should receive the Woo 3 soon, and I hope you would not mind if I should have some more questions?...

Best regards,
Glen

Dec 23, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #158 of 249
Capt. Z said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000

Do you have a close up picture of the "mod"?

If you're asking me no I don't have a picture of the mod, but I'll bet John does.

Dec 23, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #159 of 249
KZEE said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Z

If you're asking me no I don't have a picture of the mod, but I'll bet John does.

I remember John mentioning at the beginning of the thread that he has no digital camera.

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #160 of 249
I just got my shiny new Woo 3 in last weekend, and have about 40 hours or less on it so far. I've been doing some breaking in by watching movies, and letting it hum away with headphones plugged in and volume low.
Anyway, I can see why ppl want to do the mods - the Woo sounds pretty good right out of the box, but gives you enough of the sweet stuff (big stage, dynamics, lush smooth vocals, etc) to make you want more.

Question - does anyone have experience with the Electro Harmonix 6dj8 tubes? My local shop carries them, and they are much cheaper than any NOS tubes I've seen...Worth a shot?

If nobody's tried them, I'll give them a go and report back (hey they're only $17 apeice). Cheers...

Jan 14, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #161 of 249
The EH aren't bad and improvements are being made all the time. The only way to really know if you like them is to try them. I have used tubes others didn't like and was happy and opposite has been true also. So are so many variables. It is unfortunate that NOS has gotten so expsensive. Supply and demand and all that stuff, after all there is a finite supply, but there were millions and millions of tubes made and many more NOS tubes still in boxes and in huge supply. A good Amperex Orange globe or white label is good. I also like the 6BZ7 and they are very cheap, at the moment and there is a substantial supply of these everywhere. They preceded the 6DJ8 tubes and to me have a very clean and nice sound. I just drop them in and they work fine. They are also cheaper than the EH.

Jan 18, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #162 of 249
Some advice for new buyers - Give it time.
The first 50-80 hours left me somewhat underwhelmed, I'll admit, but everything is opening up. Seemingly all at once, but that is usually how these things go.

I was on the couch with my eyes closed listening to a vinyl copy of Sufjan Stevens' Illinois, and all at once, I was just 'there', all of the flaws that had troubled me were just gone, leaving spatial, detailed, but 'sweet' music.

I have some tube replacements on the way - Amperex Bugle Boys 6dj8, and Tung Sol 5998. I'll post reviews when they arrive. I also needed to purchase double the quantity I need (for both tubes), so my others may be for sale, if anyone is interested

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #163 of 249
All tube replacements finally arrived last week. I replaced the stock Phillips 6DJ8s with Amperex Bugle Boy 6922, made in Holland. The GE 6AS7, I swapped with Tung-Sol 5998. The Tung-Sols also say 'JAN-CTL' on them, not sure what that means.

The Amperex signal tubes made a small difference in terms of lushness and tonality. Not huge, but there. The biggest change was the 5998, which was really night and day from the GE. Major improvement in bass response, deeper and fuller. Everything just got bigger, swapping back to the GE sounded flat and 'grey'...Thanks for the suggestions, saved me alot of headaches...

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #164 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurumaya
All tube replacements finally arrived last week. I replaced the stock Phillips 6DJ8s with Amperex Bugle Boy 6922, made in Holland. The GE 6AS7, I swapped with Tung-Sol 5998. The Tung-Sols also say 'JAN-CTL' on them, not sure what that means.

The Amperex signal tubes made a small difference in terms of lushness and tonality. Not huge, but there. The biggest change was the 5998, which was really night and day from the GE. Major improvement in bass response, deeper and fuller. Everything just got bigger, swapping back to the GE sounded flat and 'grey'...Thanks for the suggestions, saved me alot of headaches...

jan = joint-army-navy i.e. military spec'ed tubes.
ctl = the manufacturer code for tung sol.

and well, naturally the 5998 would sound different from the 6as7 - it is a completely different tube! the 5998 has rather different operating parameters from the 6as7 and quite a bit more gain too; at least try matching the volume a tad and then tell us again what you think.
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #165 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
the 5998 has rather different operating parameters from the 6as7 and quite a bit more gain too; at least try matching the volume a tad and then tell us again what you think.
wink.gif

Thanks for the details on the tube. I hadn't considered that the GAIN might actually different - that explains my comments about the 'bigger' sound...I guess it was just louder
biggrin.gif

After reading your reply, I went back and did some more swapping, this time, compensation some on the volume. Funny, but the difference isn't as extreme as I thought. They're still there, but not as pronounced; guess I'll do some more research before i go shouting from the rooftops next time!

So, take everythign I sad and scale it back by about 50%. One thing I noticed last night though, is the stock GE power tube may actually have more extended bass than the Tung-Sol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back