Woo3 0r Woo2?
Jan 12, 2006 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jxb2

100+ Head-Fier
Have had several Woo3's, all excellent. Jack Wo is suggesting that Woo2 is significantly superior (and twice the price!) compared to Woo3.

At $900 plus, Woo2 is in price range with many outstanding products. Woo3 at $500 is in competitive price range also, but I know much of the competieion and clearly like Woo3 best. Unfortunately, I don't know the $1,000 range competion and don't have preferences in that range.

Any info on Woo2 and how it stacks up to $1,000 range competitors, as well as opinions on wherther it is worth twice the price of the already excellent Woo3?

Thanks for any help.

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #2 of 20
The WooAudio 2 is the only headphone product I am really interested in at this time. It would make things a lot easier to hit the buy it now button with a list of modifications I want if there was some kind of feedback.
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 20
I am also interested in the WooAudio 2 and would love to hear impressions anyone may have of this amp. And if anyone has listened to this amp with HD 650's and compared it to a Singlepower MPX3 with HD 650's, that would be even better.
580smile.gif
Thank you.

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 20
Where is the Woo4?

Apr 13, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Where is the Woo4?

I'll get it Saturday.

6 tubes and 6 transformers - 2 monoblocks with 3 tubes and three transformers on each monoblock.

Woo 3 has a really nice sound - smoth and sweet - but blurred tone edges characteristic of OTL (sounds are liquid and massed instead of holographic 3 D imaging where tones are pinpointed and isolated in space like my Bada PH12).

Apr 13, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
The WooAudio 2 is the only headphone product I am really interested in at this time. It would make things a lot easier to hit the buy it now button with a list of modifications I want if there was some kind of feedback.
frown.gif

It has very favorable reports from a highly respected (respected by me at least) reviewer. See the woo site and click on reviews.

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
It has very favorable reports from a highly respected (respected by me at least) reviewer. See the woo site and click on reviews.

woo2 review? i can only find the woo3 reviews....

Apr 14, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by $qwuzzy
woo2 review? i can only find the woo3 reviews....

Art: My mistake.

No reviews of the 2 or the 4.

Actually the reviews are of the 1.

Jack says the 2 is an improved 3 - still an OTL design though - great tone body and timbre but some deficits in holographic 3D tone focus and imaging.

I prefer the 4 because it is not an OTL design - will report on mine soon.

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 20
I wish the Woo 2 came in black also though. The old Woo 2 came in Silver or Black....but the new one only comes in silver. All my componants are black.
I want it..............but i wont buy it in silver. Some things look ok in silver,,but the Woo 2 looks too DIY to me in silver,and as i said...everything i have is in flat black. The Woo 3 comes in numerous colors. If it doesnt come in black by the time i save enough money.....ill get the AES Dennis Had DJH Signature Preamp from www.upscaleaudio.com

Dennis Had is the builder of Carey Audio Products.

I want the Woo because it has a headphone jack,and the AES doesnt.
But i can always get the Woo 3 for my headphones,and the AES for my stereo then.
Im not sure how many inputs the AES has though.

I wish i could hear the darn things to compare.

Apr 14, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #12 of 20
E-Mail Jack Woo? Yes i did. I e-mailed him when the New Woo 2 first came out and asked him if it came in black. Then like a week or two ago i e-mailed him again. He said it doesnt come in black. I dont know if it ever will either. He answers quickly when i e-mail him though. I hear great things about his products and service. I just dont want it silver. I know its silly,i mean....its the sound,isnt it? lol

If it doesnt come in black,then ill get a black Woo 3 for my headphone setup for my Grados, and an AES DJH Signature Preamp for my home speaker setup.
I really wasnt sure which i wanted anyway. It was the Woo's headphone jack that made the decision. I havent heard any of this stuff. Im going by reviews and looks. Theres really not much out there i want in my price range,and itll be driving my Bryston 3BST amp,and i figure itll be a nice match(in my mind).
I have a Rotel RCD975 CD Player. Im finding it hard to replace. I like the sound and im not sure if getting another unit would really be an upgrade. Also i want Anthony Gallo Nucleus reference 3 speakers and an SVS sub,and im thinking Harmonic Tech wires. Hope all this will be a match...lol.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jxb2
Any info on Woo2 and how it stacks up to $1,000 range competitors, as well as opinions on wherther it is worth twice the price of the already excellent Woo3?

I've owned or auditioned four tubed headamps in the $600 to $1200 price range and I'd take my tube rolled Woo 3 over any of them. If the Woo 2 sounds anywhere near as good as the Woo 3 then it should compete quite nicely with other headamps in the $1000 range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Woo 3 has a really nice sound - smoth and sweet - but blurred tone edges characteristic of OTL (sounds are liquid and massed instead of holographic 3 D imaging where tones are pinpointed and isolated in space like my Bada PH12).

Read the reviews of some of the better OTL amps that are available and you'll quickly learn that blurred tone edges are not an inherent characteristic of OTL designs. And if you'll roll some quality NOS tubes into your WA3 you won't be complaining about blurred tone edges anymore and you'll have all the holographic and pinpoint imaging that you can handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back