Woo WA6 and Grado sr325is
Apr 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

schuh

New Head-Fier
I have been lurking here for over a year and have learned a great deal, more than I could have imagined.  Thanks to all who share their knowledge.  I would like to humbly make my first post.

For the past year or so I have been debating how well my Woo WA6 and my AKG K702 headphones play together.  There's been a lot of discussion on this forum about this pairing, most of it favorable.  I think both pieces are excellent, but I have always felt that the WA6 struggles to drive the K702s.  With some sources, they sound wonderful together, especially various types of "chamber" music--classical, jazz combos, acoustic rock.  However with more powerful music, especially rock, I find the WA6 to be weak, especially when driving bass heavy music.  I have been rolling top quality tubes in this combo, including a Mullard 5r4 and Sylvania fat bottle 6fd7s, and I have always been troubled by this.  When I listen to rock on my phones, I like to be blown away.

So, I went and picked up a pair of Grado sr325is phones.  I can only say that the Woo and the Grados are a wonderful, engaging combo.  Any WA6 owner who feels that the amp has trouble driving their cans should really look into some Grados, especially the 325is.  These two pieces go very well together and play off each other's strengths.  The Woo drives the Grados without straining on all types of music, and the slight tube sound of the Woo tames the high end of the 325s nicely.  There's ample, detailed bass, and very fine mids.  Even though the Grados are a tad bit uncomfortable--we'll see how they feel after more break-in--I have never been so involved in the music before.  I would also say that with a high quality amp you will notice the difference between the 325is and its cheaper family members.  In comparison to the 225i, I found the 325s to have better seperation, more refined detail and a better soundstage.  I also feel that they are worth the extra cash for their looks and build quality.  The chrome looks fantastic.

I'm slacking off at work, writing this, but I can't wait to get back to my Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back