Woo WA5-LE - ordered!
Feb 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #92 of 116
Hey all...a few answers: -

1. Its the LE model so no speaker terminals or K1K socket. I dont like the K1K anyway so im not bothered!

2. Turntable is a Raven AC with Ikeda arm and Graham Phantom - both good for very diff reasons.

3. Rob (got your PM - will reply later) - vinyl - about 5000 albums, CD around 3000 or so.

Plenty !

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #93 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Brindley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
about 5000 albums, CD around 3000 or so.

that should keep you busy.
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #96 of 116
good job lee.... enjoy.

Team WA5...

Cheers,

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #97 of 116
Lee, I notice you have the Einstein phono stage. Very nice. I sold one to a customer a few years back and went to his place to set it up and I can safely say it is the best phono stage I've ever heard, and I've listened to the top-of-the-line Boulder one.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #98 of 116
Quote:

Landed - got to now face the collection from a very frozen airport and a large import VAT/duty bill - ahh well !

Lee, being "10 miles North of London" (kind of) I'd be v. interested to hear your delivery/collection/customs experience as well, of course, as more impressions of that beautiful silver amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

James

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #100 of 116
Hello - sorry not been back to post for a while now.

Kane-Dk - yes the speakers are Peak Consult Princess (signature floorstanders) on Finite Elemete Cerapucs (which do sharpen things up and deflect less bass through the floor - im top floor in an appt block) - and in front of Accoustica Applicata DAAD - 'bass traps' - essential for the room i have my hifi in. I am really happy with them - they are very high quality, small footprint, very high WAF, and give a very detailed, open and transparent sound. They suit me 100% and if i ever did change them it would be to go higher up the range - but this is highly unlikely for the forseeable.

Gazza - re the Einstein. I have to concur - it is the best phono stage i have ever used. Ironically, the only thing that would get me out of this would be a Boulder - and you know the cost of that - so its unlikely to ever happen. I tend to use the Einstein with my Koetsu's - its a brilliant match. On the flip side my other phono set up is a Don Garber Fi, which is in build - its a tube MM stage and ill use the Allnic step up with that. The Einstein though remains a flagship product and remains a 'keeper'.

Mikey - you were so right about the WA5 - it is amazing. See below!

Jamescodway - easy really on the shipping. The WA5 comes in 2 massive crates. Tracked the shipping - which was bloody expensive. Paid the VAT and customs charges - which was also bloody expensive - and then finally got my amp...which was,er....bloody expensive. Not a cheap deal when all added up.

Rob N (and everyone else) - so what does it sound like?

Well - I have never had a Woo product before, so have no comparison - neither do I have access to a stock WA5. Mine had the premium parts upgrade as there's no way id be shipping this back for any updates at a later stage !!! I am still using the stock tubes supplied - later in the year i may get in some EML's to play around.

My listening is done with 3 sets of cans. Denon D5000 with the markl mods and Jena 22 re-cable, plus AKG K702 & Grado GS1000 both black dragoned. It became clear to me that the best match by a mile was the Denon - and in the Low setting on the WA5. I have since sold the Grado's and the AKG's will go too. The Denons will remain and I get my HD800 in about 6 weeks - here's hoping that combo - WA5/HD800 will be my absolute reference?

Along the way i have had various cans - open/closed back, stats, in -ear, etc etc - tried and owned em all. Equally, amp wise - SS/tube - portable/twin chassis - again, ive paid my dues and tried most.

The WA5 seems to have the rare ability to combine the best of both worlds. Eeerily transparent midrange aka Stax - yet massive slam and a tautness associated with top notch HR amps. I am struggling to find any faults with it - and every single piece of music i play is an absolute joy.

You just dont realise how good it is until you go back to a different amp. Im not going to name names and run down a competitor, BUT, its a no-brainer. I think for the first time ever, i can now use all those cliches we all read and reviewers write - about how it doesnt feel like HP listening - you 'feel' music all around, get a proper image way beyond your head and have detail like you simply cant get through speakers.

The WA5 is ruthlessly revealing though and seems very demanding of source equipment and cables. Give it the best and it will perform as such. For example - fed with some lousy (lossy) digital media through the 702's it is a league away from the Denons - from my CDP or TT. You cant make a bad sound good!

That aside - it has redefined for me what you can get from HP listening. But use the best stuff and cans with it! I am now off the upgrade ladder (finally) and the HD800 represents the final piece of the jigsaw.... i hope.

Hope my ramblings help. I found Jeff Torgays review on toneaudio of the WA5 expressed far better than I what the WA5 is all about. Having bought and lived with one for a few mths now - i can only nod my head in agreement.

Cheers - Lee

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #101 of 116
So Grado's are not a good match with the WA5? Were the GS1000's quiet when feed by the WA5?

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #102 of 116
Hi Rob,
I wouldnt say they weren't a good match - just not my preference! They were quiet as a mouse yes. I guess i just find the modded Denon D5k the best all round headphone ive had - AND - it gels really well with the WA5.

Its all subjective though and i may find the new Grados a good fit if i ever get to listen to them!

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #103 of 116
What a coincidence, I was following this thread because of the WA5, but now I realised that I also contacted you on *bay regarding the K702s!

Please keep sharing with us your impressions about the WA5, I am very interested....

Cheers

Carlos

PS: I got my K702s recently, and already thinking about upgrading the cable, one day I'll try the Black Dragon

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #105 of 116
Quote:

Glad you got some 702's Carlos!

Happy to sell you the cable i have if you are interested?

PM me!

Rgds
lee

Wish I could now! But as I told you, it was either the headphones or the cable, but not both at the same time!! For the moment, i'll go with siome cheap Mogami & DIY....

But in the future.....
wink.gif

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back