Woo Wa22 balanced vs unbalanced input
Sep 11, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #46 of 55
New WA22's have a phase splitter so you get full use of the amp for unbalanced input. I was just looking inside my WA22 and saw two boxes labeled "phase splitter" so I can personally confirm this.

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #47 of 55
New WA22's have a phase splitter so you get full use of the amp for unbalanced input. I was just looking inside my WA22 and saw two boxes labeled "phase splitter" so I can personally confirm this.

That's great news (and about time...) Any knowledge of when they started this new practice?

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #48 of 55
That's great news (and about time...) Any knowledge of when they started this new practice?

I heard sometime this year. Email Woo, they could certainly tell you based on serial number.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #49 of 55
Jack Woo confirmed this to me several months ago.  $250 to convert your "older"  WA22 to new RCA input phase splitter operation.  Of course, need to send back to factory for this mod.

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #50 of 55
  After researching and reading several reviews of the WA22 by "respected" audio professionals it is interesting to read how they state the balanced HP output connectors impart a significantly higher quality signal.  So, given the WA22 balanced connectors are purely for "convenience" and, in fact, are NOT truly balanced, how do they  rationalize their statements?  Seems to support my long held suspicions...that many in the  audio press are no more SQ knowledgeable than the rest of us.

Haha, shuttt! Don't tell them, it's like homeopathy, as long as you believe that there is any effects, it might actually works.

Personally I use Digiflex Touring Series cable, they are professional cable, but expensive (well cheap in this audiophile world). (Maybe $15-20 for a 3 feet XLR cable).

I'm looking into buying the WA22, how it compare to a non-balanced amp like the WA6?

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #51 of 55
I have both the WA-22 and the WA6SE and you cannot make a bad choice.  Tube rolling will produce the most significant sound differences.  Of course, your choice of source/DAC/HP will also influence greatly.  Bottom line, go for the cheaper WA6SE and spend the extra bucks on a nice tube selection.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #52 of 55
  I have both the WA-22 and the WA6SE and you cannot make a bad choice.  Tube rolling will produce the most significant sound differences.  Of course, your choice of source/DAC/HP will also influence greatly.  Bottom line, go for the cheaper WA6SE and spend the extra bucks on a nice tube selection.

Ok, thanks, I was referring to the WA6 not the SE, I'm unsure if it will be powerful enough for my LCD-3.

The WA22 seems to have more power.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #53 of 55

Ok, thanks, I was referring to the WA6 not the SE, I'm unsure if it will be powerful enough for my LCD-3.

The WA22 seems to have more power.

The WA6SE is the sweet spot in my opinion...plenty of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back