Woo Stand + K701
Oct 12, 2007 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
has anyone used this

wa_stand_top_slv.jpg

with one of these

AKG7012_side.jpg

do they match well or not because of the K701 headband.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 12
I hang my K701 on it. It works great, and looks good.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 12
i love the look of the Woo stands as well. i wasn't sure the K701 would work as well as other headphones because of the soft headband. but i guess it will okay then.

thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 12
The stand is really small, do not get fooled by the aparent size, it is 10 and half inches high, and the base is really small, around 4 inches, square foot print, IMO it has not much stability, and it tends to flip...I'm using the Editions with it, that are not big at all, and I preffer the one I made out of glass, feel more secure, and is a lot more heavy and tends to flip less...I did not like it, to the point that problably this one will be for sale soon...not they look nice and are very well done...

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 12
hmm. that is good to know. they look small but high enough. i kind of like that. i never considered their stability. that's important.

thanks for the info.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 12
ah. i see it. bottom left-hand corner. it looks good with the K701. not very thick or heavy looking. i can see how it could knock over easily.

i also see an HP1, HP2, PS1, and L3000. not bad.
biggrin.gif

edit: just glanced at fkclo's profile. he is ALL business.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm. that is good to know. they look small but high enough. i kind of like that. i never considered their stability. that's important.

thanks for the info.

Well indeed they are big enough for any heapdhone, but the first time I saw them in pictures they gave me the impression of being a lot bigger. That why I posted the impression I had, they look in the picture at least 2 to 3 inches higher of what they actually are to me, also I would like the base to be a little bigger, to give it more stability, making it just one inch wider will add a lot more weight and stability. Not a big deal you can clamp them to a wooden bigger base, but that is an extra work...but they indeed look very nice, IMO the best looking ones I have seen, commercially...That was why I got them, I love the way they look...

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 12
Woo's headphone stand is good for all AKGs and Grados. It is marginal for ATH cans because of the special head band design of ATH the overall length is a tad too long for the stand, but still one can use it with stock cables.

The stand is o.k. for HD650 with stock cables but a tad too short for HD650 with third party cables ( the cable entry for third part cables - Zu, SAA, RAL.. are much stiffer). The STAX stand is better for the HD650 but in my opinion, the Senn clamp is perfect for most headphones.

The stand itself is compact, but it does have a full metal base which I would say is stable enough for most situations. The fact that two columns are higher than the top bar would present a risk of toppling if one accidentally pull the headphone and the stand would fall because the extended part of the column can act like a hook trying to keep the head band in place. On the other hand, for normal use, this offers the advantage of preventing the headphone for falling over.

For US$25 I would say the Woo's stand is a great value.

F. Lo

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 12
yeah the woo's base is pretty solid and heavy enough for me

the wood stand would have issues with audio technicas and it is *just* tall enough for my stax sr-404, but the cable still pushes against the bottom, so i just flip my drivers outwards and that makes the cable point upwards and has no pressure on them! looks funny but works nicely

also the champagne coloured stand looks beaut with the brown sr-404s

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 12
Actually I have written to Jack Woo about the height issues for some headphones and Jack indicated he will have a new design to cater for this issue. But given the growing demand of his amps I won't hold my breath for the new stand.

F. Lo

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 12
photos! (click to enlarge)

first: SR-404 with ghetto tape roll mod, it's so that the semi-padded headband on the Stax doesn't flatten where it makes contact with the bar on the Woo stand, puts pressure more evenly over a larger surface.

Beyerdynamic DT531, black on black + silver =) 2003 DT880 looks good too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back