Woo Hoo! Just ordered a new integrated!
Oct 9, 2007 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

VicAjax

Headphoneus Supremus
i've got me a PS Audio C-100 integrated amp coming soon... i'm so excited!!

this puppy looks like a little giant, pushing 100 Class D watts in a dual mono setup. only 3 inputs, but that's all i need right now. and once i save up for their Digital Link DAC, it will completely solve any possible input shortage.

h681TRiC100-f_MTFr.jpeg

h681TRiC100-b_MTBa.jpeg

anyone currently using PS Audio amplification want to report on their experiences?

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 19
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday VicAjax, Happy Birthday to you!
3000smile.gif
580smile.gif
600smile.gif
280smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Nice birthday gift for you Vic. Please post some thoughts on the little giant and let us know how it sounds. Are the "aux outs" line level or pre-outs? Given the way it is laid out, I would assume the latter, but just curious. Enjoy!

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday VicAjax, Happy Birthday to you!
3000smile.gif
580smile.gif
600smile.gif
280smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Nice birthday gift for you Vic. Please post some thoughts on the little giant and let us know how it sounds. Are the "aux outs" line level or pre-outs? Given the way it is laid out, I would assume the latter, but just curious. Enjoy!

HILARIOUS that you picked up that it's my b-day present to myself...
etysmile.gif

the aux outs are described in the manual as line level, but i've seen other websites call them pre-outs. basically, i was told that they can be used as subwoofer outs, for bi-amping or to use the C100 as a pre-amp.

i'm assuming that because of the pre-amp stage's unique topology (Gain Cell), it can be used as either? then again, i'm most definitely talking out of school.

it's supposed to ship some time next week... i'll definitely report my findings.

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 19
Looks like a nice amplifier.
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like a nice amplifier.
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

thanks sir!

it's essentially the little brother of the stereophile class a rated GCC-100. the only differences i can tell are lack of balanced in/out, only 3 inputs, no HT bypass, no user-definable names for inputs and a smaller chassis.

the amp and pre-amp technology are identical, so the sound should be very very close.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the aux outs are described in the manual as line level, but i've seen other websites call them pre-outs. basically, i was told that they can be used as subwoofer outs, for bi-amping or to use the C100 as a pre-amp.

line level == preamp in (or preamp out as in this case).

Congratulations on your birthday and present. I hope that it's everything you are hoping for.
340smile.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy
line level == preamp in (or preamp out as in this case).

I'm not sure I follow guzziguy's comment because I think of line-level output to be a fixed, relatively low level to go to another component. The output of a CDP is line level unless it has some form of built-in attenuator on it. In an integrated amp situation, I would think the line-level output would allow you to take the signal out to a headphone amp, for example, which has its own volume control. The line-level output would not go through the volume control. My EMM Labs dac/preamp has two sets of outputs -- line-out and pre-out -- and the latter is volume controlled while the former is not. That is how I understand these terms.

The PS Audio manual for the C-100 further confuses me because it calls the output "line level" but then mentions it can be used to feed a subwoofer or to bi-amp into a plain power amplifier (i.e. no volume control):

"The C-100 Control amplifier has a line level output that can be used to feed another power amplifier like the Trio A-100 for bi-amping."

To me, that implies that the aux out is volume controlled. There is a guy selling a PS AUDIO GCC-100 who describes the aux out on that unit as volume controlled: "Fully balanced, 100W/ch with remote. 4 RCA, 1 XLR input. Volume controlled aux(sub) out." Maybe that seals it.

Sorry for the long tangent here, but I was trying to figure out if the C-100 can pass along the signal or basically do double duty as a preamp, and the latter seems correct. Cool little unit.

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much do those run cost wise?

retail is around $1600.

it's going to be powering my Rega R5 speakers. originally, i had thought i'd be getting the Rega Mira integrated, because of natural synergy. but when i went to audition the combo, i couldn't get past that it sounded a little thick around the middle to me.

Class D has intrigued me since i got my father-in-law a panny SA-XR55... surprisingly good.

then i thought about the Onkyo A-9555. finally, i just decided to go with a company that has been doing Class D a long time, and doing it well.

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #10 of 19
I'm not sure I follow guzziguy's comment because I think of line-level output to be a fixed, relatively low level to go to another component.
The PS Audio manual for the C-100 further confuses me because it calls the output "line level" but then mentions it can be used to feed a subwoofer or to bi-amp into a plain power amplifier (i.e. no volume control):

These outs can be used with virtually all self-amped subs, if that's what you want.

"The C-100 Control amplifier has a line level output that can be used to feed another power amplifier like the Trio A-100 for bi-amping' To me, that implies that the aux out is volume controlled.

Probably not. A poweramp needs a line level input.
Sorry for the long tangent here, but I was trying to figure out if the C-100 can pass along the signal or basically do double duty as a preamp, and the latter seems correct. Cool little unit.[/QUOTE]

Oct 10, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 19
another thing i like about this amp is that (i'm pretty sure) it's made domestically.

i'm not much of a flag-waver, but what with the weak-and-sinking dollar, it's hard to get your money's worth on imported goods these days, so i know i'm getting a good value... not to mention customer support and warranty work stays stateside.

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow... Those are some sweet-looking binding posts. Nice RCAs, too. PS Audio's gear always looks so clean.

yeah... it's never been the most showy stuff in the world, but it always looks like they use top notch parts and great build quality.

so much of the other integrateds i looked at in this price range had cheap nickel connectors and plasticky binding posts.

it's a little crazy that i'm buying it unheard, but i do love the sound of the GCC-100 and the Bel Canto kit i've heard, so i'm expecting to get close to that.

whadya know, 3,000 posts.
plainface.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 19
I think you'll be impressed. I got to hear it very briefly about a month ago, sounded smooth and musical.

The only other thing I would have suggested was to look at SweetBen's GCC-100 he was selling here and Audiogon. A nice deal, wish I could afford it.

Though I DO like the smaller form-factor of the Trio series.....
confused.gif

Oh, well. Enjoy it immensely, and please report back after you get a good sense of the sound.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you'll be impressed. I got to hear it very briefly about a month ago, sounded smooth and musical.

The only other thing I would have suggested was to look at SweetBen's GCC-100 he was selling here and Audiogon. A nice deal, wish I could afford it.

Though I DO like the smaller form-factor of the Trio series.....
confused.gif

Oh, well. Enjoy it immensely, and please report back after you get a good sense of the sound.

oh man. i wish i'd seen that GCC-100... bummer.
frown.gif

well, on the bright side, i'll have a full 3-year warranty and a nice matching system when i get the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back