Woo Audio WES - Love at first sight!
Nov 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #46 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shields installed, 6C8G's rolled

1003415.jpg

Absolute beauty. that shield looks nice also.

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #47 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolute beauty. that shield looks nice also.

At first, I didn't like the shields. But now they're growing on me. And yes, the amp is a real beauty. It probably sounds even better than it looks
normal_smile .gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At first, I didn't like the shields. But now they're growing on me. And yes, the amp is a real beauty. It probably sounds even better than it looks
normal_smile .gif

Those shields are really thick and cool looking. What are they made of? According to Woo Audio's website the WES amp utilizes:

biggrin.gif
Four EL34 power tubes;
tongue.gif
Four 6SL7 drive tubes;
wink.gif
Two 5AR4 rectifier tube, direct sub: 5U4GB, and;
redface.gif
One 12AU7.

Visually I can identify all but that lone 12AU7. I would fathom that it is tucked away securely internally. So please solve the mystery for me and expose that tube's hiding place by posting photos of the WES's internals.
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks!

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #50 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those shields are really thick and cool looking. What are they made of? According to Woo Audio's website the WES amp utilizes:

biggrin.gif
Four EL34 power tubes;
tongue.gif
Four 6SL7 drive tubes;
wink.gif
Two 5AR4 rectifier tube, direct sub: 5U4GB, and;
redface.gif
One 12AU7.

Visually I can identify all but that lone 12AU7. I would fathom that it is tucked away securely internally. So please solve the mystery for me and expose that tube's hiding place by posting photos of the WES's internals.
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks!

there are actually two 12AU7's used for the phase splitting. they stick out of the back of the amp, protected by two extremely heavy-duty tube protectors that screw over them.

as I do not use the single-ended input, I do not have these tubes installed

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #51 of 70
Nov 2, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #53 of 70
Nice internals as well. Truly a beauty. I might actually end up this route myself..

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #56 of 70
Wow, I thought my newly completed Mini-Max looked cool with its LED lit tubes. I'm extremely jealous. That Woo is gorgeous and I'm sure it sounds better than it looks.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #58 of 70
Congrats. Look impressive.

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #59 of 70
Thx to the feedback here on the forum, received my maxxed WES and unpacked it today (amazing packaging btw!).  Out of the box sounds absolutely fantastic and look forward to hearing it as it and the Stax O2's break in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back