Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Mar 15, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #708 of 904
I just acquired a WA8 today and it is really phenomenal. I really wished I could have bought this earlier...

Mine should be arriving tomorrow. I am looking forward to it.

Any impressions to share?

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #709 of 904
My WA8 has arrived. I will wait to give any real impressions but what I can say is I know that I have no regrets. It is exactly what I wanted.

Sounds amazing. The build quality is phenomenal, truly brilliant. Definitely a tube amplifier, the cymbals sounds so good.

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #711 of 904
Too pretty

D6D1E26D-CDD5-488C-A117-76F377214E3C.jpeg

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #712 of 904
I've had mine since it was released. In my 60+ years of "audiophile nervosa", I never been more pleased with an audio device and I've had some very expensive, highly regarded stuff (mostly sold). Yes, it is a bit soft and bloomy but that rich HOLOGRAPHIC sound is absolutely mesmerizing. No dry, overly detailed, flat/bland (yes, "balanced") sound for me...just that deep 3 DIMENTIONAL tube magic, in spades! And the DAC is more than adequate and perfectly matched. I can't listen to my other desktop Woo's with the Benchmark, Sony, Chord, Marantz, etc. without returning to the WA8 and wondering why not get rid of the others! Of course, YMMV...

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #714 of 904
Have you changed the vacuum tube? I'm going to change to the Mullard vacuum tube. I wonder how the sound changes.
I changed to the Mullard.

Is it a dramatic improvement? No. To be honest, I've always gravitated toward British made tubes. My feeling is that they present a more realistic, holographic sound. That's just my feeling.

The driver tubes are doing most of the work. Turn off the gain tube by going in to 2 tube mode. If you can hear a substantial difference with and without the gain tube, then you may hear a difference with a new gain tube. I notice heavier, deeper bass with 3 tube mode vs 2 tube mode.

It's too much of a hassle to swap gain tubes and have any reasonable, accurate memory of the previous tube sound.

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #715 of 904

Is it a dramatic improvement? No. To be honest, I've always gravitated toward British made tubes. My feeling is that they present a more realistic, holographic sound. That's just my feeling.

The driver tubes are doing most of the work. Turn off the gain tube by going in to 2 tube mode. If you can hear a substantial difference with and without the gain tube, then you may hear a difference with a new gain tube. I notice heavier, deeper bass with 3 tube mode vs 2 tube mode.

It's too much of a hassle to swap gain tubes and have any reasonable, accurate memory of the previous tube sound.
I see. Thank you for your reply.

May 3, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #716 of 904
Couldn't resist. Pulled the trigger on a WA8. I'm primarily going to be using it with the Sennheiser HD800S. My concern is the pop sound. I can leave the headphones plugged in but as long as the volume is on 0 before turning it on or off, it should be fine? Do you still hear the pop at 0 volume?

May 3, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #717 of 904
Couldn't resist. Pulled the trigger on a WA8. I'm primarily going to be using it with the Sennheiser HD800S. My concern is the pop sound. I can leave the headphones plugged in but as long as the volume is on 0 before turning it on or off, it should be fine? Do you still hear the pop at 0 volume?
No you don't. And it's really not that loud.

May 3, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #718 of 904

I just ordered the Mullard as well... was struggling btw that and the Syl, but well, more expensive is better right? Lol~

And ordered the leather case as well. Taking advantage of the free shipping offered right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back