Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Jul 10, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #722 of 896
it is really the portable dac/amp that I'm searching, I couldn't afford it back when it was released, but now, I must admit, I'm looking again, especially since I have 1 hour TGV train journey per day. Issue is they are uber rare in Europe! but a goal is a goal! and most of the comments here tells me I'm not making a mistake:)

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #725 of 896
Currently testing with Audeze LCD GX, since my TH900 is with 4.4mm input. But so far, I'm stunned. The details are rich, the voices and background music on my song test (kalandra, the Borders) are rich, smooth, and the decay is perfect, the notes are fading perfectly. It's indeed a hot amplifier, i'll have to be extra carrefull when traveling with it, but it is worth the trouble:)

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #726 of 896
Currently testing with Audeze LCD GX, since my TH900 is with 4.4mm input. But so far, I'm stunned. The details are rich, the voices and background music on my song test (kalandra, the Borders) are rich, smooth, and the decay is perfect, the notes are fading perfectly. It's indeed a hot amplifier, i'll have to be extra carrefull when traveling with it, but it is worth the trouble:)
Oh yeah, it gets plenty toasty.

Listening on my back patio with temps in the low 80s and it gets almost too hot to touch. To be fair, all SET tube gear gets pretty hot, and I’m sure the WA8 is well within safety standards. I agree completely that this minor inconvenience is worth it.

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #727 of 896
Oh yeah, it gets plenty toasty.

Listening on my back patio with temps in the low 80s and it gets almost too hot to touch. To be fair, all SET tube gear gets pretty hot, and I’m sure the WA8 is well within safety standards. I agree completely that this minor inconvenience is worth it.
:wink:
I'll try to find a case that would protect the WA8 while transporting it, the leather case is not suited for using the WA8, I wonder if there is a case with grill to let the hot ait move away..

Jul 22, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #728 of 896
:wink:
I'll try to find a case that would protect the WA8 while transporting it, the leather case is not suited for using the WA8, I wonder if there is a case with grill to let the hot ait move away..
I imagine it will be tricky to find a case that will protect the WA8 on the go. Maybe a custom made leather case that leaves the window clear and the vents?
Like this:

4BEF900A-AD45-4FE2-B81F-AF8CA06DE3DE.jpeg

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #729 of 896
I imagine it will be tricky to find a case that will protect the WA8 on the go. Maybe a custom made leather case that leaves the window clear and the vents?
Like this:

4BEF900A-AD45-4FE2-B81F-AF8CA06DE3DE.jpeg
Aye, something like this would be great, although my primary need would be to protect it in the train, I won't use it while walking in a big city:) thanks a lot this is appealing:)

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #730 of 896
The WA8 is now 6 years old? I'm hoping for an update/refresh version... preferably just pure amp without the DAC at a smaller footprint and longer battery life...
Balanced output/connector would be a plus.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #731 of 896
The WA8 is now 6 years old? I'm hoping for an update/refresh version... preferably just pure amp without the DAC at a smaller footprint and longer battery life...
Sure it is old, if we compare it to how fast modern tech last, and as much as I would want to Connect my 4.4mm balanced fostex, when I listen to how this dac sound, I fail to see its age. I mean , I have a ifi audio iDSD pro signature that is really new (released early this year) , so I did get through comparing the sound of those two, and wa8 is really … close is not the correct word, but can’t find a better one :)
I’m not sure such product are meant to be updated, they are really a niche in a niche .
I do transport mine (I’m in à hôtel near Orange right now), but it require a bag large enough, something not on par with modern standar of rushing maybe ?

Aug 3, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #732 of 896
I would be surprised given diminishing stock of pencil tubes that Woo would bother a redesign.
I also don’t see upgrading ESS DAC given the extra SNR of the modern offerings will be lost on the tubes.

Who knows

Incidentally, the recent Nutibe offerings in DAPs give great tube flavor with modern technology.

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #733 of 896
Incidentally, the recent Nutibe offerings in DAPs give great tube flavor with modern technology.
Actually I find NuTubes too sterile and SS sounding in comparison with WA8 / desktop tube amps.

Much prefer WA8 as a portable tube amp solution. My only issue is the lack of balanced ports (I don't need balanced output from tubes, I just need to be able to plug in my 4.4mm cables!). Been using 4.4 to 3.5 / 6.5 adaptors but those don't work well - I always detect some channel imbalance.

Sep 7, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #734 of 896
I managed to get one of these by doing a trade with a fellow head fier. Wow it sounds amazing. I’ve tried it with the vc and the hd650. It turns the hd650 in to an amazing headphone. Really impressed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back