Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #301 of 1,117
Bad news is the GE5814 didn't go with the HD800 either , strangely it was too bright this time
Good news is the WA7 clearly reacts to different rectifier tubes so , rolling is definitely on
Out with the GE in with a pair of AWV 12au7 made in Australia and more bad news , white flash on power up
Yes the reaper is coming for my tubes , I let them warm up and had a quick listen they sounded great
Not being a natural risk taker I shut everything down after a few minutes as I believe that the momentary arc will at some point possibly become a full short
I will go back to the stock tubes this evening as I know they are good , just to make sure the problem was with the new tube

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #303 of 1,117
  Bad news is the GE5814 didn't go with the HD800 either , strangely it was too bright this time
Good news is the WA7 clearly reacts to different rectifier tubes so , rolling is definitely on
Out with the GE in with a pair of AWV 12au7 made in Australia and more bad news , white flash on power up
Yes the reaper is coming for my tubes , I let them warm up and had a quick listen they sounded great
Not being a natural risk taker I shut everything down after a few minutes as I believe that the momentary arc will at some point possibly become a full short
I will go back to the stock tubes this evening as I know they are good , just to make sure the problem was with the new tube

Bummer!  I ordered a set of Sylvania JAN 5814A in anticipation of getting my WA7Tp.  Hopefully it wasn't a waste.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #304 of 1,117
I have a pair of Sylvania 5814 and I suspect they will behave differently to the GE tubes I will try them next
The GE I have were the cheapest grey plate two mica type so the GE black plate triple mica may be better
I need to go back to the stock tubes for tonight's session to make sure the arc was not a fault with the TP

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #305 of 1,117
  I have a pair of Sylvania 5814 and I suspect they will behave differently to the GE tubes I will try them next
The GE I have were the cheapest grey plate two mica type so the GE black plate triple mica may be better
I need to go back to the stock tubes for tonight's session to make sure the arc was not a fault with the TP

Hopefully it's not the TP!  Seems like too many issues reported so far.
But I'm definitely interested to hear about how the Sylvania's work for you if the TP's still working.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #306 of 1,117
Fingers crossed , but I am 90% it is one of the tubes 
An arc like that is quite common in a tube rectifier it could work normally for ages or it could short out and melt down next time I switch on
Safest just to pull the tubes and start again
I don't think it has been too bad for a new product release
There were the early cosmetic issues and the fuse thing both of which seem to have been addressed
Only a couple of people have been unfortunate enough to need a return

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #307 of 1,117
I've been listening to the Sylvania JAN's since getting my WA7tp 2 months ago and I love the sound I'm getting. I never even tried the stock tubes...I put the JAN's in straight away. Really warm bass and creamy mids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #308 of 1,117
I've been listening to the Sylvania JAN's since getting my WA7tp 2 months ago and I love the sound I'm getting. I never even tried the stock tubes...I put the JAN's in straight away. Really warm bass and creamy mids.

That sounds good - thanks for the feedback!  I'll probably try the stock tubes first if only for comparison sake.

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #309 of 1,117
All is well, stock tubes in no sign of arcing
I think this may be a common problem with rollers as I suspect the offending tube would still test good
Anyway, on to Sylvania this evening see if I can replicate the positive results

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #310 of 1,117
3 hours in on the Sylvania 5814a and I am sold it's all true strong clean bass classic tube mid-range sparkly treble
I was a little concerned as I have the domestic version with yellow Sylvania logo not the JAN version
Construction looked identical to the military type from pictures and they were a very strong closely matched pair
Definitely a must have for all WA7tp owners a clear upgrade over the stock tubes  

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #311 of 1,117

That sounds good - thanks for the feedback!  I'll probably try the stock tubes first if only for comparison sake.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a complete noob to this whole tube thing. I still don't understand how rectifier tubes can affect audio signature at all. I'm still in the "it's all snake oil to me". But I had the Sylvania JAN's and I put them in and I loved how it all sounds so I'm done with trying to find something else. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe technically it didn't make a sniff of a difference, but I'm happy with what I have.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #312 of 1,117
Finally received the WA7/WA7tp. Wasn't able to listen to it that long since I got it at work right before the long holiday weekend.

Quick impressions over my Schitt Asgard 1/Bifrost is that the bass is much deeper and the soundstage opened up a bit.

I'll try to give further impressions when I get more time with it next week

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #313 of 1,117
Finally had a chance to set up my WA7tp using stock 12AU7 tubes.  Like the poster above, my immediate impression (using HD800) is that the sound stage has opened and there's greater separation.  However, this seems to come at the expense (to me) of a brighter sound and less bass.  I have a set of Sylvania JAN 5814A that I want to eventually try out but for now I want to see what changes occur, if any, with burn-in.  It amazes me though that a change in the PSU could result in such a noticeable change in the sound.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #314 of 1,117
I also received my wa7tp and after hooking it all up, it appears it might be DOA. Nothing happens at all.. I'm assuming all you have to do is click the button in. Very depressing :frowning2: 

EDIT - tried it with old psu and that is working fine.. :frowning2:
Second edit - Im an idiot lol, didnt have the actual unit turned on! All good!, sorry woo audio for blaming you guys! 

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #315 of 1,117
I got mine today. Sounds great with the Sylvania 5814A. What an addition to the wa7! If I had to make a critic, I would have harden the feedback of the on/off button and prevented rotation.

Overall great job Woo for this fantastic PSU for the wa7.

Edit: The 1' cord is a great add.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back