Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #286 of 1,117
  Switched on this evening paying close attention to the fuse area and no flash or light
Sounds like you have a momentary arc Bevo make sure the clips holding the fuse are clean and tight
Something I discovered this evening while playing with my ir thermometer, although the body of the TP is hotter the tops of the tubes measured 43c compared to 77c on the amp

Same... The tp tubes themselves stay actually very cool relative to the amp tubes but the base is easily twice as hot.  Ordered a fluke laser temp probe to take some measurements.

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #287 of 1,117
We ran into some production delays recently, but the good news is we’re back online at full speed.  It was difficult for us to hold shipping on so many orders, but we felt that it was the right thing to do.  Everything we make has to meet or exceed out strict quality control before it goes out to you, the customer.  Please accept our sincere apology for the delay.

Our QC team had to double down on the Red Bull in their coffee to stay sharp.  

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #288 of 1,117
That is what happens when a great product hits the market. I think that we as wa7 owners are fortunate, we already have the base, we are just waiting for the sweet addition. And I agree, I don't mind the wait for getting the best quality build. As an Australian, I just hope the fuse thingy will be cared for.

P.S.: Go easy on the Red bull and the coffee, Mike, make sure they also have some regular sleep too. I tried doing precision work at 2:00 am, vision blurry, coffee would not work, no matter the quantity ... not good, bad memories.

Cheers,

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #289 of 1,117
too bad they didn't double down on their red bull before shipping mine out... it cost me an extra 150 and a month of shipping back and forth to finally get a set that looks ok side by side.  in my opinion woo should have picked up the shipping tab on that process.  i am just glad so far they have not had the fuse issues some of the others have had.  i am guessing that has to do with the higher voltage 220 mode.

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #290 of 1,117

Are the mains voltage in Australia happen to be 220V? If it is, I would assume WA7tp does not work quite as efficiently as if it were under 110V. I used mine for about 30 hours and and no single listening session exceeded two hours because it got alarmingly hot. Next day the fuse blew up. I haven't used it since because I could not find a 200mA fuse.

I'm thinking of selling it but it's hard to let go of something so beautiful.

Yeah Australia use 230v mains. I don't think i could part with the pair though becasue they sit so nicely on my desk (even though the glass is mismatched)! Hopefully replacing the fuse will solve this problem once and for all. I also leave my wa7 power switch on at all times and just press the TP's power button to turn the system off. Hope that doesnt cause any issues.

I've also noticed that turning the TP on will result in a bright flash coming from somewhere on the back of the power supply, possibly from the fuse. Does anyone else experience this?

Overall, i found that the soundstage and clarity of my HD800's has improved noticeably so money well spent i guess. Can't wait to roll some tubes to possibly bring out the bottom end a bit more.

Just want to let everyone know that we have identified the cause of the blown fuse issue.  It turned out to be a bad batch of fuses (110v models NOT effected).  We do have replacement fuse for effected customers at no charge.  If you purchased a replacement fuse on your own, we will reimburse you the cost of the fuse (with receipt).  Please send email to info@wooaudio.com for replacement fuse or reimbursement.  We apologize for the inconvenience.  

The positive side to this (if there is one) is that the circuit protection system we implemented in the amplifier is working as designed.  It blew the fuse and not the amp.  :)

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #291 of 1,117
Received my WA7tp + WA7d combo well over a week ago, but didn't have time to set them up until this past weekend. Unpacking the two proved to be a nerve-wracking experience based on some of the reports I've read regarding build issues (groovyd's harrowing tale in particular).

Thankfully, the units look beautiful, and for once I'm spared the pain of endlessly exchanging countless units of the same item (unlike my unfortunate iMac debacle of 2013)! Of course, I ordered the WA7d rather than dealing with a probable mismatch in silver finish between my original WA7 and the WA7tp. Hopefully, the optical input will come in handy one day (I'm looking at you, white PS4)

And it's pretty minor, but I was bummed to see that the gold lion tubes didn't come in their original packaging, and came instead in a couple of woo-branded boxes.

Anyhow, if anyone's on the fence about ordering these to avoid "revision A" issues, I'd say it's safe to go ahead now! :)

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #292 of 1,117
Buying the 'd' together at the same time as the 'tp' was a good decision.  Very little mismatch risk anymore I would say especially since they are on the guard about these issues after having to deal with my situation.  I took one for the team on this one that's for sure... 
wink.gif

Got my Fluke 62 MAX+ and now I just need to figure out how to use it to accurately measure temperature.  Something I was unaware of is you need to set an 'emissivity' depending on the material being measured but as I see in Fluke's emissivity table there is a huge range of values for aluminum and even a value for surfaces painted metallic which i am guessing this is since both units have different finishes.  Anyone care to point out the correct emissivity to use for these measurements?

http://www.frigidn.com/resources/EmissivityTable.pdf

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #295 of 1,117
Added a small step down transformer , felt the voltage was a little hot at 247v now measures 227v
Can't detect any change in sq and the pair are running cooler amp 30c tps 33c
Swapped back to HE500 what it losses in sound stage to the HD800 it makes up in midrange timbre
Think I might roll in a pair of GE 5814 see if they give similar improvement to Sylvania 5814 as reported

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #296 of 1,117
So the flash coming from my TP is actually from one of the tubes. The 2nd fuse i have used has also blown as well. I've spoken to Mike and Jack and they've decided to get me to send the unit back to the US for repairs. Very frustrating

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #297 of 1,117
Rolled in the GE 5814a last night
Quite a big change from the stock tubes, bass is boosted will need more time to comment on quality
Mid range seems more euphonic but less forward , probably a side effect of the boosted bass again more time
Treble like the mid range less forward
Not sure I like the GE it gives the WA7 quite a dark character with the HE500
I will try the HD800 this evening and see if it suits better
Temperature wise the amp is unchanged and the TP is around 2 degrees warmer so not really a significant change

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #298 of 1,117
I got my WA7tp about 2 weeks ago and it is working fine without any of the negative issues highlighted by others previously. I am not really that good at describing what has improved in terms of sound but to put simply, everything seems more defined now. I would really hate to think that this is just a placebo or halo effect, but I am really liking more of what I am hearing recently (Honestly I was a little skeptical about what a different power source could do in the first place, despite taking the plunge.).

For reference sake, I listen mainly through my T1 (and also my recently acquired LCD-3 Fazor Revision) from either AIFF files or direct from CDs through my Macbook Pro/Musical Fidelity M1CDT/Musical Fidelity M1SDAC combination hooked up to the WA7. I tend to bypass the DAC function of the WA7 using mainly the M1SDAC for the conversion, as a preference.

If this was a conspiracy by Woo Audio to milk the WA7's popularity, I am happily buying into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back