Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #271 of 1,117
Yikes!  
eek.gif
  I love these guys and their products.  I have order several items in the past.  Got to admit though, Take the money 1st and wait 6 week+ is quite a lot.  I like the idea of building 1st then taking the $$$s.  It certainly will get a home if someones cancels after ordering.  Once again, great guys, Jacks the best, but maybe a few more guys building would get us customers a little more happy.  
k701smile.gif

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #272 of 1,117
  Just got my TP today. Listened to it for about 15 mintes before having to leave. Came back after watching the footy, turned it on again and the fuse blows... Not happy

Are the mains voltage in Australia happen to be 220V? If it is, I would assume WA7tp does not work quite as efficiently as if it were under 110V. I used mine for about 30 hours and and no single listening session exceeded two hours because it got alarmingly hot. Next day the fuse blew up. I haven't used it since because I could not find a 200mA fuse.

I'm thinking of selling it but it's hard to let go of something so beautiful.

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #273 of 1,117
Yea.. I sent an email at the end of May and they said it was shipping middle of June. Just sent an email yesterday but no response yet. I did ask to cancel and get a refund at this point but we will see...

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #275 of 1,117
I ordered April 22, delivery June 16 it is worth waiting for
Running on 250v measured at the wall no problem so far
TP is running around 5C above amp temp after 3 hours stock tubes
HD800 sound is perfect

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #278 of 1,117
I have a low ambient as it is approaching winter down here
Measured with IR thermometer ambient 18c WA7 31c TP 36c
I would expect temps considerably higher as ambient rises but the difference between amp and ps should remain around 15%
My LaFigaro has been running around 60-80c for three years without problems
Most caps are rated to 85c so high temp alone should not cause failures
All those with fuse issues have my sympathy, hope it doesn't turn into an epidemic

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #279 of 1,117
Are the mains voltage in Australia happen to be 220V? If it is, I would assume WA7tp does not work quite as efficiently as if it were under 110V. I used mine for about 30 hours and and no single listening session exceeded two hours because it got alarmingly hot. Next day the fuse blew up. I haven't used it since because I could not find a 200mA fuse.

I'm thinking of selling it but it's hard to let go of something so beautiful.

Yeah Australia use 230v mains. I don't think i could part with the pair though becasue they sit so nicely on my desk (even though the glass is mismatched)! Hopefully replacing the fuse will solve this problem once and for all. I also leave my wa7 power switch on at all times and just press the TP's power button to turn the system off. Hope that doesnt cause any issues.

I've also noticed that turning the TP on will result in a bright flash coming from somewhere on the back of the power supply, possibly from the fuse. Does anyone else experience this?

Overall, i found that the soundstage and clarity of my HD800's has improved noticeably so money well spent i guess. Can't wait to roll some tubes to possibly bring out the bottom end a bit more.

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #280 of 1,117
Switched on this evening paying close attention to the fuse area and no flash or light
Sounds like you have a momentary arc Bevo make sure the clips holding the fuse are clean and tight
Something I discovered this evening while playing with my ir thermometer, although the body of the TP is hotter the tops of the tubes measured 43c compared to 77c on the amp

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #281 of 1,117
I still haven't received mine and I ordered at the beginning of May...

Placed my order on May 3rd.  Just sent an e-mail requesting an update. 

On another note: you guys that have blown fuses, are you using the new short cord or the original one from the amp?

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #283 of 1,117

Placed my order on May 3rd.  Just sent an e-mail requesting an update. 

On another note: you guys that have blown fuses, are you using the new short cord or the original one from the amp?

Long one. I got my TP in the middle of May, about 2 weeks before the short cord came out.

I'm sorry that you still did not receive yours. I placed and paid my order on April 2 and the unit got delivered on May 22. 

Maybe they are doing more quality checks and tweaks based on the early bird feedbacks.

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #284 of 1,117
Long one. I got my TP in the middle of May, about 2 weeks before the short cord came out.

I'm sorry that you still did not receive yours. I placed and paid my order on April 2 and the unit got delivered on May 22. 

Maybe they are doing more quality checks and tweaks based on the early bird feedbacks.

Well I just got a reply from Mike Liang. Said they had some production delays so you might be right. Should ship within 10 days :)

Anyone blow a fuse with the short cord. Looking for a pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back