Woo Audio WA7 vs. Schiit LYR
Jan 29, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #16 of 29
I have both amps and listen with the HE-500 and the LCD-3. While I do like the Lyr (I bought it first) I definitely enjoy the WA7 more. The soundstage is wider and much more articulate - by comparison the Lyr sounds like I'm listening in a much smaller room with a somewhat muffled sound.

And the Lyr sounds a bit edgy and rough whereas the WA7 seems effortless and smooth in comparison. Like the ride difference between an Audi S4 and a Porsche 911, with the S4 being the WA7 and the Lyr being the 911. I'm only saying this in terms of ride mind you, not driving performance. The 911 ride is harsh and you feel the road more while the S4 is smooth and less hard on your butt during prolonged driving. For performance differences I'd say the Lyr is like an Audi A4 while the WA7 is like an S4. Both are nice cars but I prefer the S4's performance edge.

Bass performance in my opinion is better with the WA7 - I find ithe WA7 bass very impressive in fact. The WA7 midrange is very good also but the two amps are not that far apart, though I'd have to give the edge to the WA7. Female vocals - Roberta Flack and Carly Simon are good examples - seem to be reproduced with more transparency than the Lyr. And I give better marks to the WA7 for treble, with the Lyr being a bit grainy by comparison.

Incidentally, I'm running the WA7 with the ElectroHarmonix tubes, not the stock ones.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Lyr is a gret sounding amp. But I do feel the WA7 is a definite step up in sound quality, which the pricepoint would suggest. But the Lyr plus a decent DAC wouldn't be that much less in price than a WA7, which has a very good DAC built in.

My recommendation is to go with the WA7. Good luck in your decision.

I also have a Burson Soloist SL rated at 2W and a WA7 rated at 1W. On paper the Burson is more powerful (and in reality it does have the edge when it comes to sound pressure level), but when I put my LCD2 on the head, there SIMPLY IS NO WAY that the Burson will sound more powerful, articulate, with better soundstage and detailed as the WA7. The WA7 is simply in another league. It makes me hear much more things I wouldn't hear before and the pairing with LCD2 is phenomenal.
Also, Woo Audio sells direct from they're website, so no sharing profits with resellers and better components for you.

Just my 2 cents.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 29
Hello. I am in the process of buying the wa7d with the wa7tp vs the Burson sl 9018 DAC. And customer service is more exceptional with Burson than Woo Audio. Woo Audio does not like to work with customers when they have problems with their sales team. I am in a dispute with them now.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #18 of 29
Hello. I am in the process of buying the wa7d with the wa7tp vs the Burson sl 9018 DAC. And customer service is more exceptional with Burson than Woo Audio. Woo Audio does not like to work with customers when they have problems with their sales team. I am in a dispute with them now.

Go PM HiFiGuy528 and I'm sure he will help you out.

He has been more than helpful for me, far better than the customer service I received from Schiit.

dL

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #19 of 29
That is the person I spoke with and he will not take responsibility for the mislead information on his dealer's website. There are only 2 dealers woo audio have in the entire United states. I beg the different on their customer service and also the CEO did not care the problem. That alone proves that they do not care about customer relationships. Woo Audio is all about gaining money from customers. They careless what their dealer website says or provide, Woo audio says its their problem.
That is why we support big corporation because customer service is more exceptional than small businesses. That is why all of our jobs are going over seas.
If I do not hear back from the Woo Audio's CEO, I will go with Burson SL amp/DAC.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:
That is the person I spoke with and he will not take responsibility for the mislead information on his dealer's website. There are only 2 dealers woo audio have in the entire United states. I beg the different on their customer service and also the CEO did not care the problem. That alone proves that they do not care about customer relationships. Woo Audio is all about gaining money from customers. They careless what their dealer website says or provide, Woo audio says its their problem.
That is why we support big corporation because customer service is more exceptional than small businesses. That is why all of our jobs are going over seas.
If I do not hear back from the Woo Audio's CEO, I will go with Burson SL amp/DAC.

Oh HELL no!

Did you really just take one of the most respected, highly professional, customer focused companies in the audio world and say they don't CARE about their customers??

You sure you spoke to Woo Audio? Cause I sure as hell did, and that phone call lasted a god damned hour, and let me tell you why! It's because Mike Liang (HiFiGuy528) took his sweet ass time to recommend the best tube combination for my WA7.

In the end, with all the sound preferences I gave him, He suggested I move onto the Electro Harmonix Tubes, and by god was he right about how good they sounded compared to the stock tubes (which by the way, felt like I was being punched by a Mid-range fist).

(excuse any mistakes in my structuring of this message, I'm on a **** ton of meds including anti-seizure drugs that cause some serious mental fog)

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Oh HELL no!

Did you really just take one of the most respected, highly professional, customer focused companies in the audio world and say they don't CARE about their customers??

You sure you spoke to Woo Audio? Cause I sure as hell did, and that phone call lasted a god damned hour, and let me tell you why! It's because Mike Liang (HiFiGuy528) took his sweet ass time to recommend the best tube combination for my WA7.

In the end, with all the sound preferences I gave him, He suggested I move onto the Electro Harmonix Tubes, and by god was he right about how good they sounded compared to the stock tubes (which by the way, felt like I was being punched by a Mid-range fist).

(excuse any mistakes in my structuring of this message, I'm on a **** ton of meds including anti-seizure drugs that cause some serious mental fog)

lol. i emailed woo audio with questions & never received a reply. im not rly that impressed by their cs. ymmv.

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #25 of 29
lol. i emailed woo audio with questions & never received a reply. im not rly that impressed by their cs. ymmv.

._.

No idea how that went down, could your emails have somehow ended up in their junk/spam folder?

It's happened with me before... Hoping that was the case with you.

A phone call wouldn't hurt :B (don't hurt me)

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #26 of 29

@money4me247 We try to respond to email inquires within a few hours during business hours, 24 hrs. max.  Please resubmit your inquiries to info@wooaudio.com or direct to me at mike@wooaudio.com or phone 1 (872) 222-9667.

Look forward to connecting with you.  
beerchug.gif

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #27 of 29
@money4me247
 We try to respond to email inquires within a few hours during business hours, 24 hrs. max.  Please resubmit your inquiries to info@wooaudio.com or direct to me at mike@wooaudio.com or phone 1 (872) 222-9667.

Look forward to connecting with you.  :beerchug:  

Thank you for your help! Will do.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #28 of 29
I have extremely high expectations in almost everything in life and I have to say that I've received some of the best customer service ever from Mike (HiFiGuy528) and the team at Woo Audio. Contrast to the other company mentioned on this thread title that provides "legendary service" with one word answers, and I'll just leave it by saying YMMV before the Head-Fi cult will eat me alive.

dL

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #29 of 29
  I have extremely high expectations in almost everything in life and I have to say that I've received some of the best customer service ever from Mike (HiFiGuy528) and the team at Woo Audio. Contrast to the other company mentioned on this thread title that provides "legendary service" with one word answers, and I'll just leave it by saying YMMV before the Head-Fi cult will eat me alive.

dL

+1
Woo takes care of their customers very well answered all my emails within hours..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back