Woo Audio "WA6" vs. RSA "Raptor"
May 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

dvb-projekt

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks,

nice to be here for the first time!
smily_headphones1.gif

My question to all of you: is there any review or comparsion between the WA6 and the Raptor in the i-net?

I would like to buy in a few weeks a Grado RS-1 or GS-1000. Because i am living in Germany, it is quite difficult to hear one of them. Any experiences from you?

Greetings

dvb-projekt

May 29, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 26
Welcome to Head-fi. Wow, here is my first "sorry about your wallet". I am actually in the same boat. I have had the stock WA6 since Saturday. It's got about 90 hours, and man does it sound good. The first 35-40 was a bit rough, but at about 50-55, it really has opened up. Much more detail at the top and the bass, which was slightly muddy, has really cleared up. I know it takes a good 300-400 to really burn in, but at almost 100 it's pretty darn good.

I am getting my Raptor from RSA today. Ray has already burned it in for 100 hours. I will be doing some heavy listening to both over the next few days, and alas I will have to decide on one. If I do go with the WA6, I will be sending it back to Jack to have it Maxxed.

I will post my impressions after a few days of comparison. One thing I can tell you is that both Ray and Jack have been beyond great to deal with. Both made it easy and quick to get an amp to do the comparison. I can easily see now why both are held in such high regard!

May 29, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 26
Hi wharfrat1,

that sounds good! Great that Ray and Jack do this, but if i want to test it the same way, there were a bit too much shipping cost
biggrin.gif
I look forward to your expereance.

Cheers

May 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 26
I can not comment on the Raptor but I'm sure it's great. I have a stock WA6 and all I can say is I've never been happier with any piece of equipment I've owned since I started out in hi-fi in 1968. The sound is very clean, detailed and full sounding with my HD650's. It plays much louder than I need. It's built like a tank and it's 100% tube circuitry with a nice glowing rectifier. Plus that fact that it is half the price of the Raptor
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can not comment on the Raptor but I'm sure it's great. I have a stock WA6 and all I can say is I've never been happier with any piece of equipment I've owned since I started out in hi-fi in 1968. The sound is very clean, detailed and full sounding with my HD650's. It plays much louder than I need. It's built like a tank and it's 100% tube circuitry with a nice glowing rectifier. Plus that fact that it is half the price of the Raptor
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats´s right. On the other hand, if you would like to invest about $ 1.000,-, you could order the WA6 with Parts & Rectifier tube upgrades
smily_headphones1.gif
The question is, how many enhancement you got ???
Perhaps there ist somebody, who could tell us about the upgrades from the WA6.

May 29, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 26
welcome dvb-projekt, you'll find that there's a wealth of knowledge
here at headfi to get you started on spending a lot of money...

personally, i haven't had any experience with the raptor but the
woo-6 is a fine entry level tube amp and it matches well with the
grado headphones, even the gs1000... if you decide to try the
wa-6 i would highly recommend that you have jack woo modify
the powersupply to a "psuedo-dual" powersupply. i think this is
more important to the overall sound quality than the blackgate
upgrade options. however, the stage coupling caps should be
changed to something better than the stock caps in the wa-6...
i think this is a good starting point.

good luck in your decisions.

May 29, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
welcome dvb-projekt, you'll find that there's a wealth of knowledge
here at headfi to get you started on spending a lot of money...

personally, i haven't had any experience with the raptor but the
woo-6 is a fine entry level tube amp and it matches well with the
grado headphones, even the gs1000... if you decide to try the
wa-6 i would highly recommend that you have jack woo modify
the powersupply to a "psuedo-dual" powersupply. i think this is
more important to the overall sound quality than the blackgate
upgrade options. however, the stage coupling caps should be
changed to something better than the stock caps in the wa-6...
i think this is a good starting point.

good luck in your decisions.

So you think i have to look to the new WA6-SE?
I saw a photo from the CanJam´08 where you can read that the WA6-SE have a "psuedo-dual" powersupply!
BTW what ist the advantage of the pseudo-dual powersupply?

May 29, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvb-projekt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you think i have to look to the new WA6-SE?
I saw a photo from the CanJam´08 where you can read that the WA6-SE have a "psuedo-dual" powersupply!
BTW what ist the advantage of the pseudo-dual powersupply?

no, not necessarily.

the stock wa-6 can be modified by woo audio to have the "psuedo-dual"
power supply. they will charge you extra but i'm sure it will be less than
the blackgate upgrades... you can email jack of woo audio to find out
exactly how much. it's not listed on their website but if you ask nicely i'm
sure he will accomodate you on getting the modification done cheaply.

the advantage is a more transparent, more dynamic, more expansive/open
sound... it's a more important modification than any blackgate upgrade in my
opinion...

ps: i thought i should let you know that woo audio is selling the wa-6 SE, the
two chassis model, at an introductory price right now. you should contact
woo audio and ask if they are still available at $950. i don't know how much
more it will cost later on.

good luck with the decision.

May 29, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvb-projekt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats´s right. On the other hand, if you would like to invest about $ 1.000,-, you could order the WA6 with Parts & Rectifier tube upgrades
smily_headphones1.gif
The question is, how many enhancement you got ???
Perhaps there ist somebody, who could tell us about the upgrades from the WA6.

I do not have any upgrades other than a pair of Sylvania 6EW7 fat tubes. It came with a Electro Harmonix 5U4GB Rectifier which I didn't even try. I'm using a Svetlana coke bottle 5U4G instead. I also have some RCA 6DE7's I haven't tried yet. Since mine is totally stock, and it sounds as good as it does, I can imagine how it would sound with upgrades. Maybe I'll do some in the future.

May 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, not necessarily.

the stock wa-6 can be modified by woo audio to have the "psuedo-dual"
power supply. they will charge you extra but i'm sure it will be less than
the blackgate upgrades... you can email jack of woo audio to find out
exactly how much. it's not listed on their website but if you ask nicely i'm
sure he will accomodate you on getting the modification done cheaply.

the advantage is a more transparent, more dynamic, more expansive/open
sound... it's a more important modification than any blackgate upgrade in my
opinion...

ps: i thought i should let you know that woo audio is selling the wa-6 SE, the
two chassis model, at an introductory price right now. you should contact
woo audio and ask if they are still available at $950. i don't know how much
more it will cost later on.

good luck with the decision.

Because i don´t want to have 2 units, i prefer to get the "psuedo-dual"
power supply in the WA6! (If i buy it and not the RSA Raptor).
Let´s wait to the review from wharfrat1 or someone else
redface.gif

May 30, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 26
fwiw I have listened to a Raptor for ~5 hours and owned a WA6. I certainly preferred the Raptor. The WA6 is good, but the Raptor seems far more detailed from what I heard. But I would say that Jack and Ray are two of the best people to work with in the industry.

May 30, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fwiw I have listened to a Raptor for ~5 hours and owned a WA6. I certainly preferred the Raptor. The WA6 is good, but the Raptor seems far more detailed from what I heard. But I would say that Jack and Ray are two of the best people to work with in the industry.

Is your WA6 in stock conditions or do you have any upgrades?

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 26
Well, I've spent quite a bit of time the last two days a/b ing different songs on the Raptor and the WA6. So here goes my first review. I'm still very new to the whole audiophile thing, so I am not going to be able to get too detailed, but hopefully my points will get across.

First and foremost, Ray and Jack have both been great to deal with. Both made it very easy to get amps to demo, and they have been very responsive in answering my questions.

My source is an NAD C542. I used both my HD 650's and DT 880's. I am not going to name all of the different songs and artists I listened to. What I will say is it was quite a few 15-16, from multiple genres of music. My comparisons were done with the stock WA6 that Jack sent me. My comparisons will be of each amp in general. Now down to business.

Looks:
Only subject where I cover both amps together. I know this is all about that sound, but both of these amps are lookers. The are both rock solid in their build quality. I have always thought that RSA makes some of the prettiest amps, and I was not disappointed in person. The WA6 is an absolute tank. It looks great with that big coke bottle rectifier.

More importantly, sound:

The Raptor

Ray told me that the Raptor would deliver impactful, immediate music. If there is a word to describe the Raptor, it is impactful. Everything in the music hits full force. The mids and highs are right up front, in your face, and the bass, is tight, deep, and focused. It really has some slam to it. This is probably the most transparent amp I have heard. You hear everything on the recording. I am big fan of the Grateful Dead, and I own tons of their live recordings. Granted most are very good, when your dealing with old reel to reel recordings, there are bound to be some hiccups. The Raptor is so precise, you can hear every flaw in the recording. This is the first amp where I have really been able to dig in and hear some of the issues with the 7.5 ips master recordings. Mind you, these recordings have been meticulously mastered, but if there is something there, you will hear it with the Raptor. I am listening to Miles Davis, In a Silent Way right now, and everything is absolutely crystal clear. From Tony Williams brilliant cymbal work, ot John McLauglin's great guitar fills, etc. I think a lot of people put the Raptor down since it doesn't have that lush, warm tube sound. If that is what you want, than this is not for you. If you want an amp that brings all of the life out of your music and delivers it with a big punch to your cans, this is for you. I absolutely love this amp!
icon10.gif

WA6

This amp is nearly the complete opposite of the Raptor. For those wanting that rich, lush, warm, sweet sound, this has it in spades. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of detail there, but it is not in the same league as the Raptor when it comes to detail. I can imagine that an upgraded WA6 would be more in line with the Raptor in this area. What the WA6 does have is a wonderfully organic sound througout the entire spectrum. The bass doesn't slam like the Raptor, but it still extends nicely, can get deep, and just seems to cradle you in it's embrace. After listening to the WA6, I finally got what a nice, lush midrange sounds like. I am a big fan of the Hammond B3, which sits right in the heart of the mid-range when used as a rhythm instrument. Listening to Song from the Wind, from Santana's Caravanserai, wow, that organ just wraps itself around the other instruments. It sounds as sweet as good maple syrup tastes. I also loved listening to the Band's Acadian Driftwood. The Bands organic sound is right in this amps wheelhouse. There was still plenty of tranparency and detail in the highs, but with lots of that tube warmth, it doesn't punch you in the face like the Raptor does. For a stock model, it sounds incredible. I absolutely love this amp!
icon10.gif

Unfortunatly dvb-projekt, I can't give you an outright recommendation. It really depends what you are after. If you want tremendous detail and transparency coming at you with "impact", go for the Raptor. If you want the more traditional, liquidy, warm, lush tube sound, but still with great detail, go with a WA6 (I would get it Maxxed). What I can tell you, is you cannot go wrong with either one, they are both great products, made by great vendors.

For me, I came in with a budget for 1 of the 2. I was going to keep my LD MKIII and the winner as my two tube amps. Now after listening to both, and loving both, too hell with the budget, I am buying both! My LD MKIII will be for sale shortly. Damn this hobby. Sorry about your wallet is an understatment.

Another big thanks to Jack and Ray for acutally giving me a chance to listen to the differences instead of just having to read about them.

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #15 of 26
It is nice to have the choice of variety. Thank you for the comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back