Woo Audio WA3 or Schiit Valhalla?
Apr 15, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #19 of 26
Well, I don't think you'll find someone who has owned both at the same time and has the credibility to tell you accurately if it fits what you want sound wise. Well, that was the case for me. I tried myself to find that person when I shopped for an amp, and after a few months of reading tons of different opinions and non-sense, I realized I needed to base my decision on things I could evaluate without hearing the said amp.

So here are the questions I came up with:

Does it have enough power for my cans?
Is the topology adapted for the type of cans I have?
Does it fit where I want it to fits on my desk?
Does it look good?
Does it have the features I want (I/O) ?
Does it fit my budget? **** (Notice the two amps you're considering are NOT in the same price bracket)
(In the case of tube amps): Are the tubes cheap and available?

Just with these types of questions, you should be able to narrow down your decision. After that, take the plunge.

Hope that helps.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #20 of 26
I've had the two next to each other last year. Back then I thought they were very similar. In my opinion both will do for especially high impedance headphones but the Woo has the edge as you can roll tubes in countless variations. That has to be the biggest advantage over the Valhalla.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #21 of 26
  I've had the two next to each other last year. Back then I thought they were very similar. In my opinion both will do for especially high impedance headphones but the Woo has the edge as you can roll tubes in countless variations. That has to be the biggest advantage over the Valhalla.

Thanks...that is exactly what I was looking for....  Peace OOK

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #22 of 26
Welcome ofcourse. To help you in your decision making I find it important to add that I am not the most experienced guy around so it's wise to take my impressions with a grain of salt. That does not change what I wrote about them. Had I listened to the amps now, a year later, I could have had a different opinion. Let me also say that Woo has the definite lead in build quality. Valhalla isn't shabby at all, very nice actually but Woo is so sturdy and solid it's in the next league in my opinion

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #23 of 26
  Welcome of course. To help you in your decision making I find it important to add that I am not the most experienced guy around so it's wise to take my impressions with a grain of salt. That does not change what I wrote about them. Had I listened to the amps now, a year later, I could have had a different opinion. Let me also say that Woo has the definite lead in build quality. Valhalla isn't shabby at all, very nice actually but Woo is so sturdy and solid it's in the next league in my opinion

Being a concert taper and investing is quality gear for that hobby (20K and counting over the years)  I am very aware of the variables that come into play in terms of sound.  Doing all my editing in Soundforge 10 pro with a pair of KRK monitors and listening on the various systems I have had throughout the house, I get it. 

But I appreciate the post.  I knew there was at least one person out there who has heard both and could give me some form of opinion on the two.  I had the luxury of hearing the WA3 at the recent NY meet and loved it.  I unfortunately didn't get to hear a Valhalla.  It seems they are very comparable to everything I have read. Everyone seems to sway one way or another, but there is no definite winner. 

I am disappointed in the recent bump in price to the Woo Audio products...  making them almost twice the price of the schiit amp.  Twice the price doesn't always mean twice as good.  I also learned a long time ago that measurements are great but they don't tell you everything, trust your ears more.  If it sounds good to you, then it sounds good.  But everyone hears differently.  While looks are important... they aren't everything, to me both amps are absolutely stunning in looks. 

I am in no rush to purchase and I think I will remain patient and wait till I can hear a Valhalla for myself.  Hopefully there will be another meet close to NEPA by the end of the year where I can try both.  But I am still interested in what people have to say...

Peace OOK

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #24 of 26
I am looking at the same 2 amps for some Sen hd 600s. Starting lean toward the Woo based on build quality and overall stronger review support from owners and those that have listened (just my take on it). I hope you search pays off! Keep us updated.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #25 of 26
I have also been looking at these two Headphone Amp/Preamps.

What I've gathered so far is that the Valhala is more neutral & not tubey like the Lyr,
[size=x-small]and it can accept a wide variety of Headphone [/size]impedances[size=x-small].(a 2- position attenuator switch, according to their site)[/size]

The Woo is tubier,louder,(10w but some tubes can push more)
slightly noisier, and is point-to-point wired which is a plus for Me.
& if an amp accepts a Bendix tube, it is a major plus,
as the Bendix were designed for rockets and are generally crazy tough & very quiet.

The Woo accepts the vase-shaped g-type or g-type tubes, & I have little experience with the old G bottles,
& when I see western Electric tubes are on ebay, I start to sweat slightly. 
smile.gif

The newest compatibility chart for Woo amps can be found here

Eventually I will get both,The Schiit, as it is less colored - perfect for my recording & mixing
with my AKG's & my Yamaha NS-10 Reference Chain.

- but right after I finish this post I am going to buy a used Woo WA3 with the pre for 350.00 bucks.

Because I love tubes, & have a number of these variants already.
(and the amp is almost broken in, according to the manual's advice, anyway)

I sure appreciate all of everyone's valuable input and I look forward
to bombarding You with the tube rolling impressions that shall ensue.

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #26 of 26
I'm very interested on one of these for my HD650 too.
Which one of the two did you guys pick after all?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back