Woo Audio WA3 Impressions and Tube-Rolling
Sep 17, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #16 of 267
I haven’t gotten them yet. Suppose to be here this weekend. Makes me a bit nervous to try them seeing your results.

This is what mine look like for comparison, I purchased a set of NOS Amperex PQ Holland And they are lovely with my 6080 Chatham. Tonight will try them with 7236 Tung Sol, they were not cheap but a definite upgrade to the Westinghouse that came with the amp. It’s so damn odd, I am unable to find any information on them, they are a 6DJ8 and say Made in Germany. Google has not been helpful.
BF9373DA-741B-4180-8C41-254302423315.jpeg

Sep 17, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #18 of 267
They look nearly identical to my pair, if you take the chance on them you will know right away if there is something wrong as it sounds like a feedback sound. I used an old pair of headphones to test as I would be worried to use my nice headphones on any new to me tubes. Learned my lesson after a disaster with a 6080 Chatham that blew right away. I honestly think there is something wrong with my WA3, as I had an issue with that power tube and then the Voshkod. Hope you have another amp to use them in if you run into the same issue I did.

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 267
I asked on a tube forum on FB if these were indeed the same as the 6922 and they assured me they are the same. My wa3 has no pre-outs if that makes any difference. I'll give them a try and see. I have some older headphones I can use. If I have an issue I'll send them back. I'll report back

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 267
They look nearly identical to my pair, if you take the chance on them you will know right away if there is something wrong as it sounds like a feedback sound. I used an old pair of headphones to test as I would be worried to use my nice headphones on any new to me tubes. Learned my lesson after a disaster with a 6080 Chatham that blew right away. I honestly think there is something wrong with my WA3, as I had an issue with that power tube and then the Voshkod. Hope you have another amp to use them in if you run into the same issue I did.

Is the amp running fine now? Doesn’t sound right that a power tube and drivers would go bad right away.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #21 of 267
Is the amp running fine now? Doesn’t sound right that two power tubes would go bad right away.
Yeah, so far so good. The seller who sold me the 6080 sent me another one as he felt bad, and once I switched out the Voshkod for other drive tubes it works with no issue. My WA3 does not have the pre-output either, at this point I am enjoying it with no further issues. In a few more months I will have my upgrade tube amp, so this little guy is part something to hold me over, and part third room system when the time comes. I think it is a great value and it drives my 300 ohm headphones quite well with the right tube combos.

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #26 of 267
Tubes came in today, put them in right away and I am happy to report they work fine. Just had them running long enough to warm up and test for noise. Did some brief music listening, not enough for an opinion yet. Turned the amp up to 2 o'clock and dead quite.

Attachments

• 3CC670FC-75B6-4BBC-A1B7-7D41D0056B8C.jpeg
    3CC670FC-75B6-4BBC-A1B7-7D41D0056B8C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 19, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #28 of 267
Tubes came in today, put them in right away and I am happy to report they work fine. Just had them running long enough to warm up and test for noise. Did some brief music listening, not enough for an opinion yet. Turned the amp up to 2 o'clock and dead quite.

Phew, congrats on the success. There is definitely something wrong with my WA3, will swap out again maybe today and tomorrow and see what happens. It is a pain, because they are currently in my hybrid amp and have to take it apart to get into the tube section.

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #29 of 267
I hope to give them a better listen tonight.

Here is the power tube I running right now
I asked around about it and here was the response I got.

“Svetlana factory. Special quality control number 54, I don't know what industry it is for, but usually a number in the diamond means for military use. Also, according to a rectangular stamp, they are aged, i.e. manufactured, tested, then kept on shelves then retested. Such procedure was used for critical applications, when tubes were supposed to be replaced by the schedule in the field.”

Attachments

• A1B56790-872A-4C68-8902-77D99219C8C3.jpeg
    A1B56790-872A-4C68-8902-77D99219C8C3.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 5FEE239E-D574-4B2D-9513-C28409E2A3BF.jpeg
    5FEE239E-D574-4B2D-9513-C28409E2A3BF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 267
I hope to give them a better listen tonight.

Here is the power tube I running right now
I asked around about it and here was the response I got.

“Svetlana factory. Special quality control number 54, I don't know what industry it is for, but usually a number in the diamond means for military use. Also, according to a rectangular stamp, they are aged, i.e. manufactured, tested, then kept on shelves then retested. Such procedure was used for critical applications, when tubes were supposed to be replaced by the schedule in the field.”
My friend has that tube, if I recall that it is the same tube known as Winged C? He has a DarkVoice and it is vastly different, but that tube does make it sound a hell of a lot better.

I decide to do the swap now, am very curious as to what went wrong the first time so trying a different power tube this time, and being more careful by allowing more warm up time of 30 min.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back