Woo Audio WA23.....
Feb 22, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #496 of 516
E5C5B771-68F1-4CD5-83CF-04C15FBEF544.JPG

I had the opportunity recently to test out a pair of Takatuski 2A3 tubes with the 274b rectifier tube, all courtesy of @HONEYBOY (thanks again man!).

Here are my findings.

In short, the Takatsuki 274b definitely adds some heft in the bass to the sound versus the stock rectifier tube. But, it does something where it overshadows the midrange when the Takatuski 2A3s are in with it. The Takatsuki 2A3s add more spaciousness, more awesomely precise and lifelike imaging (more detailed is another way of putting this) and an even bigger soundstage versus my Psvane 2A3 tubes. This is regardless of what rectifier tube was in.

The longer version:

I put the Takatsuki 2A3s and 274b in after listening to my WA-23 with the Psvane (upgraded tubes I bought it with at CanJam SoCal 2022) and all other stock tubes for the last year or so. It was immediately obvious to me that something had been enhanced in the bass and that the soundstage had opened up. I wanted to listen for a couple of weeks for the sound to integrate so that’s what I did. I enjoyed listening during this time and got used to what I was hearing so I could start to pinpoint more nuanced sounds. Everything sounded bigger - the bass, the soundstage, the imaging. Even better and more high-fi than the Psvane/stock tube configuration.

I then switched back to the Psvane 2A3s and stock tubes to start a more active, less passive-listening comparison. It was obvious listening back on the Psvanes that they were more present in the midrange than the Takatsukis. But, less resolving, less big soundstage and not quite as powerful of a bass punch. Although they were great in all those areas, just not as good as the Takatsukis. I missed the big-ness of the Takatsuki’s, but I wanted the midrange of the Psvanes. I found it, but in an interesting way that I’ll get to.

I then put the Takastuki 2A3s and 274b in. My impressions were the same as when I had first put them in: bigger soundstage, more precise, lifelike and impressive imaging and a more robust, big bass punch. But, something was missing. Voices sounded more distant. After listening to all of the same tracks on these tubes that I had on the Psvane/stock configuration, I was left pretty emotionally unmoved. The bigness of the sound was impressive at first, but it just didn’t engage me in that emotional way. I thought maybe they’d need more time to warm-up (I was giving each tube configuration at least 20 minutes to warm up, per Woo’s recommendation), so I left them a bit and then came back. Same conclusion, although the bass sounded a tad more focused. But it could’ve been me imagining it.

I texted @HONEYBOY a bit though this whole thing, which was fun, and he recommended switching out the rectifiers. I told him I was already on it!

And, what I did next was my favorite out of all configurations: Takatsuki 2A3s with all other being stock tubes, so no Takatsuki 274B. This was the magic for me. The midrange returned but all the other positive attributes of the Takatsuki 2A3s stayed (that soundstage, and lifelike imaging). I was the most engaged and kept wanting to listen long after I had told my wife I was going to stop. I decided to buy the Takatsuki 2A3s and not get the rectifier. The bass is still big and punchy on the stock rectifier and sounds more balanced to me versus the Tak 274b.

The next day, I tried the Psvane 2A3s with the Takatsuki 274b. This was great too. The nice midrange stayed and the bass was improved. But, I still preferred the Tak 2A3/stock tube configuration the most. I did that one again and did one more A/B test between Psvane 2A3 and Tak 2A3 and still preferred the Tak 2A3/stock tube combo over everything. Psvanes are great though and, if you liked a really focused, beautiful midrange, they do that the best out of these options. Takatsuki midrange sounds beautiful too, but it sounds slightly less focused and intimate sounding on vocals comparatively to the Psvanes. Perhaps because there’s more happening in the Tak 2A3’s sound and that bigger soundstage, more high-fi imaging, takes a little bit away from the vocals.

I did these tests on 4 different headphones: ZMF Caldera, Atrium Closed, Atrium and HiFiMan Susvara and used my iFi Pro iDSD Signature throughout. Caldera and Atrium Closed are what I listen to most on these days, and the Susvara was there because it gives the best microscope.

Side note on comparing with the Feliks Envy: I own both amps and I prefer the WA-23. The Takatsuki 2A3/Takatuski 274b/stock tube configuration kind of sounds more like the Envy: huge bass, huge soundstage, but more hollow and distant, overshadowed mids (this is with stock performance edition tubes). Ultimately, less engaging to me personally. I get bored with that sound quickly. The Envy also sounds more left to right in the soundstage, like reallllly wide, and the WA-23 has much more depth. This is another reason I prefer the WA-23: it sounds more like you’re in the space and hearing all these great layers in front of you, where the Envy sounds more unnaturally wide and less cohesive comparatively.

Hope this was helpful to anyone considering getting Takatsuki or Psvanes! One thing to note - I talked to @HONEYBOY about these findings and he said that his findings matched mine, but, he left his WA-23 on for 24 hours with the Takatsuki 2A3/Takatsuki 274b/stock tube configuration and it sounded unbelievably good when he listened at that point. So maybe that 274b just needs a ton of warm up time. But, hopefully it wouldn’t always be 24 hours!
I'm still deciding between this and the Envy, so your observations are helpful. Especially since you might be the only one posting that owns both. If you ever decide to roll the 300b's on the Envy (Elrogs or WE) and have more thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #497 of 516
I'm still deciding between this and the Envy, so your observations are helpful. Especially since you might be the only one posting that owns both. If you ever decide to roll the 300b's on the Envy (Elrogs or WE) and have more thoughts, I'd love to hear them!
Definitely will! Zach from ZMF is lending me WE300Bs next month and I can't wait. I really hope it changes the amp for me.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #498 of 516
the WE300b with the envy takes it from good to great IMHO

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #499 of 516
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #500 of 516
Mar 2, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #501 of 516
E5C5B771-68F1-4CD5-83CF-04C15FBEF544.JPG

I had the opportunity recently to test out a pair of Takatuski 2A3 tubes with the 274b rectifier tube, all courtesy of @HONEYBOY (thanks again man!).
You're welcome man, and really loved reading about all your various explorations and moment of eureka! That was really insightful.

I absolutely love the WA23. Interestingly, there was a readjustment period listening to the Taks again. They are so lovely and refined. Stock or with upgraded tubes this amp just makes me enjoy my music the most. See ya soon man.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #502 of 516
Wow. Fantastic review. I couldn't add anything to what you captured. Really digging the Omnific btw!

Thank you, sir! I appreciate the kind words!

One of the best thing about these forums is discovering new music. The Omnific was a discovery here, I don’t remember where, but they are certainly a whole lot of fun to listen to! I really like their style.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #503 of 516
Stock or with upgraded tubes this amp just makes me enjoy my music the most.

I haven’t even dabbled in tube-rolling with this amp yet, but my goodness isn’t that statement the truth!

I’m also waiting on the Zahl HM1, like you have, to arrive in a few months, but I even keep slightly wondering just how much I will enjoy it or need it at this point.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #504 of 516
I haven’t even dabbled in tube-rolling with this amp yet, but my goodness isn’t that statement the truth!

I’m also waiting on the Zahl HM1, like you have, to arrive in a few months, but I even keep slightly wondering just how much I will enjoy it or need it at this point.
Well you can always sell it for most of what you bought it for. But HM1 and Wa23 is a great combo. You get that neutral with amazing technicals amp in HM1. Plus the warm and lush tube amp. Plus you can preamp Wa23 into HM1 if you want a tube SS sound hybrid.

I enjoyed your review. Although I am honestly glad they kept Wa23 single ended. The balanced output of Wa33 is part of the reason it sounds more solid state since it removes some of the second harmonic distortion. I prefer my tube amps to be more on the warm and lush side aka "tubey" for lack of a better term. Since if I want the more neutral SS sound I would just use a SS. But the extra power of balanced would be nice for really hard to drive stuff like the Tungsten.

But the Wa23 sounds great with Tungsten anyways and gets it plenty loud.

Mar 3, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #505 of 516
Well you can always sell it for most of what you bought it for. But HM1 and Wa23 is a great combo. You get that neutral with amazing technicals amp in HM1. Plus the warm and lush tube amp. Plus you can preamp Wa23 into HM1 if you want a tube SS sound hybrid.

I enjoyed your review. Although I am honestly glad they kept Wa23 single ended. The balanced output of Wa33 is part of the reason it sounds more solid state since it removes some of the second harmonic distortion. I prefer my tube amps to be more on the warm and lush side aka "tubey" for lack of a better term. Since if I want the more neutral SS sound I would just use a SS. But the extra power of balanced would be nice for really hard to drive stuff like the Tungsten.

But the Wa23 sounds great with Tungsten anyways and gets it plenty loud.

Thank you! Exactly 100%. I am right there with you on the preference for the choice to stay single-ended. I didn’t want a solid state sounding tube, which I kept hearing about both the WA33 and the Feliks Envy. The 2nd order harmonics is exactly what I was looking for. The reason for going with the HM1 was to pair it, and alternate it out, depending on the flavor I am going for.

It’s true, if, by chance, I find that I don’t want the Zahl, I can recuperate most of the cost anyway. However, it’s also the tone controls that I am really also wanting. Even if I were to use the HM1 as a pre to the WA23, that is just another flexible option.

That’s exactly what I heard about the Tungsten and that’ll be coming eventually, too. Looking forward to the pairing!

I appreciate the insight! :)

Mar 3, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #506 of 516
Hey guys! Just because I am having so much fun with the WA23, I wrote a review for it here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/woo-audio-wa23-luna-headphone-amplifier.26995/reviews#review-33155
Your review is a very enjoyable read; the way you described every single element of your discoveries in your listening sessions with the Luna was really nice. I've had my unit for 15 days now. I'm not completely sure if it's because my WA23 is still within the burn-in period, but currently, I need about 45 minutes of warm-up to get into the point where the amp reaches its full potential.

It was my plan to burn in the Luna with the stock tubes, but that wasn't an option since one of my included Sovtek 6C45 tubes was bad. It sounded so wrong that at first, I thought my WA23 was defective. I turned it off and tested all the tubes before any other attempt at playing music; eventually, the culprit showed up. Luckily, I had ordered a matched pair of GEC CV3789 with adapters when I purchased the Luna, allowing me to continue my journey and to confirm that the amp was in perfect shape.

Since then, I've been blown away by the sonics of this elegant powerhouse. I wouldn't attempt to share my impressions, which are almost identical to your findings, as you've described them better than I could possibly do.

Despite all the interesting topics and overall discussion on this thread, I haven't seen much general enthusiasm about tube rolling. Even when there are excellent new production 2A3s, I think it's really cool that there are still great 2A3 NOS tubes at reasonable prices, a luxury that is no longer an option in the 300B world. At the suggestion of @pippen99, I delved into the realm of RCAs, acquiring a few of their variants alongside NOS pairs from different brands. The outcome was striking—a significant improvement over the stock 2A3s, also one particular pair of RCAs exhibited a very nice fluorescence effect, adding a cool look in low-light conditions. All the tubes tested OK in the E-tracer, but the real tube rolling will start after some more burn in and when getting the respective socket savers purchased to Deyan.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #507 of 516
Your review is a very enjoyable read; the way you described every single element of your discoveries in your listening sessions with the Luna was really nice. I've had my unit for 15 days now. I'm not completely sure if it's because my WA23 is still within the burn-in period, but currently, I need about 45 minutes of warm-up to get into the point where the amp reaches its full potential.

It was my plan to burn in the Luna with the stock tubes, but that wasn't an option since one of my included Sovtek 6C45 tubes was bad. It sounded so wrong that at first, I thought my WA23 was defective. I turned it off and tested all the tubes before any other attempt at playing music; eventually, the culprit showed up. Luckily, I had ordered a matched pair of GEC CV3789 with adapters when I purchased the Luna, allowing me to continue my journey and to confirm that the amp was in perfect shape.

Since then, I've been blown away by the sonics of this elegant powerhouse. I wouldn't attempt to share my impressions, which are almost identical to your findings, as you've described them better than I could possibly do.

Despite all the interesting topics and overall discussion on this thread, I haven't seen much general enthusiasm about tube rolling. Even when there are excellent new production 2A3s, I think it's really cool that there are still great 2A3 NOS tubes at reasonable prices, a luxury that is no longer an option in the 300B world. At the suggestion of @pippen99, I delved into the realm of RCAs, acquiring a few of their variants alongside NOS pairs from different brands. The outcome was striking—a significant improvement over the stock 2A3s, also one particular pair of RCAs exhibited a very nice fluorescence effect, adding a cool look in low-light conditions. All the tubes tested OK in the E-tracer, but the real tube rolling will start after some more burn in and when getting the respective socket savers purchased to Deyan.

1709449872817.jpeg
The colors look cool. I like listening with the lights off. Do you know in advance what colors, if any, a tube will emit? In other words, are colors a spec?

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #508 of 516
The colors look cool. I like listening with the lights off. Do you know in advance what colors, if any, a tube will emit? In other words, are colors a spec?
Yeah it looks really cool indeed!

The blue glow is produced by electrons hitting the glass of the tube. There are some tube types, brands, and particular batches that are more prone to produce it. Certainly, some 2A3 RCAs are among them. However, there are other kinds of tube glowing that may be a sign of a problem.

Here is more information about it:

http://www.jacmusic.com/techcorner/ARTICLES/English/blueglow/blueglow.html

https://www.thetubestore.com/blue-glow

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #509 of 516
IMG_6343.jpgIMG_6347.jpg

So far, WA23 is essentially almost everything I wanted it to be over my Ferrum stack-more euphonic tone, more analogue, deeper hitting bass, stronger macro and micro dynamics, more detail, more staging and instrument separation. I am quite simply excited to listen to music again, and my open-back sound leakage hours have increased (along with my partner's insanity due to the noise). WA23 does fall a bit short on treble extension (or energy) to my ears with a darker signature, as well as black background to the Ferrum OOR/Hypsos which really speaks to how impressive of a stack it is on its' own.

That being said, I got the Tubulus Concentus (cable non-believers, *LOOK AWAY*) i2s for craps and giggles to compare to my Pink Faun, and was surprised to note a noticeable difference between the two:

Pink Faun is definitely more analogue, with a longer, heftier decay on the bass (amazing bass) with more weight to all the notes across bass and mids. Mids are more lush and timbre overall feels a bit more euphonic. More organic overall.

Concentus clears out some of the WA23 darker treble/signature through an overall leaner and snappier sound. Bass is fast and tight but not as authoritative or rumbly as the PF. Concentus has a bit of a blacker background, or perhaps its the thinner notes that add to that perception, but it has a slight edge in leading edge note attack with a shorter decay, and slightly more detail. This adds to more of a crisper texture to guitars relative to PF.

IMG_6117 2.jpgIMG_6348.jpg

Both i2s cables are excellent and very complementary to one another. I will continue to play around upgrading a few of the stock black power cords, and maybe even tube roll (Takatsuki 2A3s, WE drivers) based off impressions from some trusted members in this thread. Anyways, really enjoying the amplifier and how much more it has itching to get back home after work or the gym to sit down and just get lost in the music. :)

IMG_6153 2.jpgIMG_6345.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6343.jpg
    IMG_6343.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6345.jpg
    IMG_6345.jpg
    701.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 31, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #510 of 516
IMG_6343.jpgIMG_6347.jpg

So far, WA23 is essentially almost everything I wanted it to be over my Ferrum stack-more euphonic tone, more analogue, deeper hitting bass, stronger macro and micro dynamics, more detail, more staging and instrument separation. I am quite simply excited to listen to music again, and my open-back sound leakage hours have increased (along with my partner's insanity due to the noise). WA23 does fall a bit short on treble extension (or energy) to my ears with a darker signature, as well as black background to the Ferrum OOR/Hypsos which really speaks to how impressive of a stack it is on its' own.

That being said, I got the Tubulus Concentus (cable non-believers, *LOOK AWAY*) i2s for craps and giggles to compare to my Pink Faun, and was surprised to note a noticeable difference between the two:

Pink Faun is definitely more analogue, with a longer, heftier decay on the bass (amazing bass) with more weight to all the notes across bass and mids. Mids are more lush and timbre overall feels a bit more euphonic. More organic overall.

Concentus clears out some of the WA23 darker treble/signature through an overall leaner and snappier sound. Bass is fast and tight but not as authoritative or rumbly as the PF. Concentus has a bit of a blacker background, or perhaps its the thinner notes that add to that perception, but it has a slight edge in leading edge note attack with a shorter decay, and slightly more detail. This adds to more of a crisper texture to guitars relative to PF.

IMG_6117 2.jpgIMG_6348.jpg

Both i2s cables are excellent and very complementary to one another. I will continue to play around upgrading a few of the stock black power cords, and maybe even tube roll (Takatsuki 2A3s, WE drivers) based off impressions from some trusted members in this thread. Anyways, really enjoying the amplifier and how much more it has itching to get back home after work or the gym to sit down and just get lost in the music. :)

IMG_6153 2.jpgIMG_6345.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back