Woo Audio WA23.....
Mar 5, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #16 of 519
Could it possibly be an OTL configuration?

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #17 of 519
No this amp is a mini WA33 Elite with being single ended not balanced. Price is high because it uses all custom parts. Amp will be available in few months. Idea was to form it to use on a desk and have 33 sound but not as powerful The price is $9500 for wa23. Wonder if it will have power switch like the WA5 to use with super low sensitivity headphones?

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #18 of 519
thumbnail_IMG_2508.jpg

On the latest YouTube video they showed what is "the baby wa33 elite edition".

If there are any threads already on this, I apologize.

What do you guys think?
It is my favorite woo product with thunderous bass and classical warm lush tuby sound. It has the amazing synergy with Susvara via XLR with enough power surpringly

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #21 of 519
I heard this amp at the show today and was really impressed. On my Utopias, I prefer it to the WA33. I have a WA5-LE at home with maxed out tubes, and I think I prefer it to that as well, but didn't get a fair A/B to be completely confident in that (different chains, etc). In any case, it's worth consideration, for sure.
Did you notice the bass and slam of Wa23? What is your thoughts on that?

I know what I heard but so many different voices claiming 2A3 tubes don't have good bass or the wattage out is limited to generate great low extension and slam.

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #22 of 519

I know what I heard but so many different voices claiming 2A3 tubes don't have good bass or the wattage out is limited to generate great low extension and slam.
I saw you talking about the lack of bass on your wa33 in another thread. Try putting it in high gain (it improved the bass impact on my TCs). Some people don’t like the treble on high gain, but I think the bass increase is worth it.

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #23 of 519
I saw you talking about the lack of bass on your wa33 in another thread. Try putting it in high gain (it improved the bass impact on my TCs). Some people don’t like the treble on high gain, but I think the bass increase is worth it.
My question is How do you feel about the low extension and bass of wa23 Luna for those who actually demoed it.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #24 of 519
My question is How do you feel about the low extension and bass of wa23 Luna for those who actually demoed it.
I haven’t heard it, but I’d guess it’s not as good. I have the WA33 EE JPS and the 3ES Elite, and pay attention to posts on both. I saw you talking about the WA33 and not liking the bass, so I just thought I’d make a suggestion.

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #26 of 519

Adding western electric 417a's with adapters to WA33 increases the bass quite a bit over stock tubes.

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #27 of 519

It's been too long at this point for me to speak to the WA23's slam with confidence. I'll just say I didn't immediately notice a lack of it, or I would have not liked it much. I actually just transitioned from a 300B amp (Woo WA5-LE) to a 2A3 amp (DNA Stellaris), and while the Stellaris doesn't hit quite as hard, I also don't feel like it's weak, and the openness, clarity, and extension, for me, is a worthwhile tradeoff.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #28 of 519
I also had a chance to try this out at CanJam and couldn't leave the room without biting the bullet on it, despite trying very hard not to. Specifically, I tried it with my DCA Stealth and Expanse, but then a kind stranger lent me a pair of ZMF Atrium. It's this last combo that really melted my brain. I thought it sounded awesome with the DCAs, but with the Atrium, for me, it was euphoric.

I definitely felt like it had a boost in the sub/lower bass region, which is something I really look for since I tend to listen at very low volumes which often causes the bass to kind of disappear. Even at lower volumes it also seemed to have really good speed and slam. Granted, it's very hard to really tell in a show environment, but I tried to keep it as similar as possible to the volume I listen at home. From my experience, the slam on this was pretty similar to that of the Warwick Bravura and Aperio.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #29 of 519
Anyone know the power specs of this amp? Not listed on woo's site.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #30 of 519
I also had a chance to try this out at CanJam and couldn't leave the room without biting the bullet on it, despite trying very hard not to. Specifically, I tried it with my DCA Stealth and Expanse, but then a kind stranger lent me a pair of ZMF Atrium. It's this last combo that really melted my brain. I thought it sounded awesome with the DCAs, but with the Atrium, for me, it was euphoric.

I definitely felt like it had a boost in the sub/lower bass region, which is something I really look for since I tend to listen at very low volumes which often causes the bass to kind of disappear. Even at lower volumes it also seemed to have really good speed and slam. Granted, it's very hard to really tell in a show environment, but I tried to keep it as similar as possible to the volume I listen at home. From my experience, the slam on this was pretty similar to that of the Warwick Bravura and Aperio.
HifiXman's TEC Theory:
(the Two Ends of the Continuum)

When you have enough empirical listening experience and observations of gears, it is natural to grow some personal philosophy and subjective generalization.

My theory is in many cases, if not all, the imaging (microdetails) and sound stage (macro-details) are, more often than not, sitting in the two opposite ends of the continuum, especially on entry, mid and mid-high fi level.

I found my theory could apply to two very popular products Woo Wa33 and W23. Jack Woo is also very open and precise regarding the sonic difference these two models that is WA33 has bigger stage and soft sound, while WA23 has more solid imaging and bottom end. Yet I'm sure wa234 Mark II, the pioneer monologue headphone amp design, is likely to be an exception to my generalization with both top notch imaging and sound stage. One fellow audiophile friend has pairs of pre-war 300B antique tube which cost the same as the amp 234. I wish I could demo it soon.

To be noted, the woo amps at the show have installed the beautiful crystal sounding pasvon tubes which sound totally different than the fuller and hard hitting stock tubes. The presentation is dramatically different to my ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back