Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Dec 23, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #2,327 of 2,714
You can not use WA22 as a pre amp to MZ3 or the other way. Pre amp on WA22 is balanced and pre amp on MZ3 is SE, unless you use adapters but adapters will degrade the sound.
I didn’t know the LTA didn’t have balanced inputs. Yeah. You actually right about that. I experimented with adapters and the degradation is present. I agree with you. I tried running my WA22 preamp’ed into my burson soloist SL (single ended) and it was “okay” at best. Now that I have the Pathos Aurium I run the WA22 fully balanced as intended and it is better…much better actually.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #2,328 of 2,714
So I've been casually hunting for a WA22. I emailed Woo Audio to see if they've gotten any trade-ins, but they have not. They did offer me a discount on a new one, which would be $2430 delivered. I see that used ones (Gen 2, of course) are all selling between $1600- $2K in 2023. What do you guys think? Hold out for a used one and save $500+ or get a shiny new one, fully warrantied, etc.?

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #2,329 of 2,714
So I've been casually hunting for a WA22. I emailed Woo Audio to see if they've gotten any trade-ins, but they have not. They did offer me a discount on a new one, which would be $2430 delivered. I see that used ones (Gen 2, of course) are all selling between $1600- $2K in 2023. What do you guys think? Hold out for a used one and save $500+ or get a shiny new one, fully warrantied, etc.?

I think that if you find used at a good price is the same, I suggest you to find a v1 because it has a better construction but better output transformer. Remember that you have to spend some money for the right tubes

Attachments

• IMG_7355.jpeg
    IMG_7355.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #2,330 of 2,714
I think that if you find used at a good price is the same, I suggest you to find a v1 because it has a better construction but better output transformer. Remember that you have to spend some money for the right tubes
Buy the new one from Woo.

Support the company, get the warranty, and have it in a week or two. Your time and enjoyment is worth more than 2-3 days worth of wages.

Dec 29, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #2,331 of 2,714
Better output trafos on Gen 1? Do you know the specs of the two amps? How did you reach this conclusion? What was your test setup/methods?

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #2,332 of 2,714
Buy the new one from Woo.

Support the company, get the warranty, and have it in a week or two. Your time and enjoyment is worth more than 2-3 days worth of wages.
Well said. Good advice for that man. I agree with you, Sir. 🧠

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #2,334 of 2,714
Question for the WA22 owners about using the balanced inputs/outputs:

I'm reading a lot and realizing that unless you have a good amount of interference (radio waves, studio environment with need for long cables), the difference with balanced vs. single ended is almost negligible.

My proposed set up, if I bought the WA22, would be RME ADI2 DAC -> WA22 -> 300 Ohm cans (ZMF & Sennheiser).

I realize balanced may be more power (+6db; don't think I need it) and perhaps less common-mode noise (don't think it's an issue in my environment).

That being said, I could have a great sounding amp and put my stash of NOS 6080, 5998, and 6as7g tubes to work. I could save money with the WA2 and not require the use of the balanced connections and still use my NOS tubes. I also know that WA2 is OTL and WA22 is transformer-coupled.

What do you guys think?

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #2,335 of 2,714
Question for the WA22 owners about using the balanced inputs/outputs:

I'm reading a lot and realizing that unless you have a good amount of interference (radio waves, studio environment with need for long cables), the difference with balanced vs. single ended is almost negligible.

My proposed set up, if I bought the WA22, would be RME ADI2 DAC -> WA22 -> 300 Ohm cans (ZMF & Sennheiser).

I realize balanced may be more power (+6db; don't think I need it) and perhaps less common-mode noise (don't think it's an issue in my environment).

That being said, I could have a great sounding amp and put my stash of NOS 6080, 5998, and 6as7g tubes to work. I could save money with the WA2 and not require the use of the balanced connections and still use my NOS tubes. I also know that WA2 is OTL and WA22 is transformer-coupled.

What do you guys think?
I know this is a long and quite drawn out question “balanced v.s single ended.” ?

Listen my friend. It depends on your source gear. For example if you have a DAC, streamer or CD player/transport that utilizes balanced outputs absolutely use that into the WA22. It is a no brain’er. Now on the other side of things say if you have a DAC that is single ended use the single ended input on the WA22.
I have a chord Qutest. It is a single ended DAC. Do you think it sounds better if I use RCA adapters to hook it up to the WA22 balanced inputs or straight out of the single ended RCA inputs? 🙃
100% you use the single ended inputs. Going balanced degrades the single path. The DAC is not designed for that application.
Another fun example. I have a pathos Aurium amplifier and it has a balanced “Tape out” connection. What if I use the balanced input of the WA22 connected to the balanced Tape out of the Aurium to connect to the Single ended Qutest? Is that better even though tape out has a neutral impedance output as opposed again going straight single ended out of the WA22 with the Qutest?
No! 😂.
Again. You are lengthening the signal path going the tape out route just to utilize a balanced connection It is not better! Again. Straight single ended out of the WA22 is the best because that is what said(Qutest) is designed for.

I hope that makes sense. Use the WA22 connections for the intended purposes of your source gear. Don’t get caught up in the whole dilemma of balanced v.s single ended.
✌️

Dec 30, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #2,336 of 2,714
Most excellent. WA22 and 800S work together magically. I just ordered ZMF Atrium, so you and I will be completely in sync.

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #2,337 of 2,714
Most excellent. WA22 and 800S work together magically. I just ordered ZMF Atrium, so you and I will be completely in sync.
Thanks, this is very encouraging. For a few days, I've been struggling with the idea of making the purchase. You know, shelling out more cash for more gear, when the gear I've already got is great. I'm kind of justifying by saying I don't own a transformer-coupled amp nor a balanced amp. I think it will be different enough from what I currently use, so I'm likely going to pull the trigger.

I've also been reading on the differences in sound signature between the WA22 and WA2. I am realizing that the WA22 has more precision, accuracy, and detail, which is right up my alley.

Dec 30, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #2,338 of 2,714
For a few days, I've been struggling with the idea of making the purchase. You know, shelling out more cash for more gear, when the gear I've already got is great.
Huh? What do you think everyone on HeadFi is doing? :)

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #2,339 of 2,714
:darthsmile: @BillinSF, telling others that they should try this or that $20K streamer or fancy CNC machine milled powered box thing that will simply blow your mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back