Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Jan 4, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #2,356 of 2,729
Hey friend. Sorry to hear that. Certainly that situation can be frustrating and a bit alarming. Obviously buying on E-Bay is a buy at your own risk ⚠️ scenario. It is too bad cause those Svetlana power tubes are in fact quite awesome. If you like, https://valvesnmore.com/
This is an excellent tube resource. Jim and Charles are first rate people and I’ve personally bought quite a few tubes from them and never once have I got a bum tube. Yes. Price wise they are a bit more expensive but you are guaranteed to get awesome tubes. Also I believe Jim and Charles have that 6AS7 (6H13C, 6H8C) Russian equivalents in stock. 😊
Enjoy man. Also was the lighting found in your tube a purple color? Kind of like this?
Thanks so much for the reply! I have ordered tubes for my main stereo from a whole bunch of spots online, but I hadn’t run across Valves ‘N More. I definitely am up for paying a bit of a premium to take the guesswork out of the tubes. I will check them out this evening for sure.

The color was similar to that in your pictures, but a little more blue and higher up, in the middle of the bottle.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #2,357 of 2,729
Thanks so much for the reply! I have ordered tubes for my main stereo from a whole bunch of spots online, but I hadn’t run across Valves ‘N More. I definitely am up for paying a bit of a premium to take the guesswork out of the tubes. I will check them out this evening for sure.

The color was similar to that in your pictures, but a little more blue and higher up, in the middle of the bottle.
Yeah no problem. So you’ve got an air leak in the tube.

https://www.thetubestore.com/blue-glow

I wouldn’t use those tubes anymore.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #2,358 of 2,729

Disagree. If the blue glow is on the glass (regardless of height) they're most likely fine with a good seal. The time to be concerned is when the blue (or more common pink/violet) is on the filaments and plates thselves. That's a sign of a leaky tube.

For reference:

http://www.jacmusic.com/techcorner/ARTICLES/English/blueglow/blueglow.html

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #2,359 of 2,729
Disagree. If the blue glow is on the glass (regardless of height) they're most likely fine with a good seal. The time to be concerned is when the blue (or more common pink/violet) is on the filaments and plates thselves. That's a sign of a leaky tube.

For reference:

Umm? You may be right. I jumped to conclusions too quick. I should’ve asked him if any of the getter blast gas is white as well. Thanks for following up here and correcting me. 🤝😌

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #2,360 of 2,729
Umm? You may be right. I jumped to conclusions too quick. I should’ve asked him if any of the getter blast gas is white as well. Thanks for following up here and correcting me. 🤝😌
No worries. We all learn from our mistakes.

Even Batman.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #2,361 of 2,729

That is extremely helpful, and yeah, sounds like it is a gas leak from that description. Not interested in blowing out other tubes or components messing around with this tube - it is unfortunately going to be retired immediately. Luckily I have another source to try now for the winged C‘s :)

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #2,362 of 2,729

For reference:

It’s on the plates, wrapping around one particular section - looks kind of like a string around the plate, but glowing and moving slightly. I only looked at it for a few seconds, but it definitely wasn’t on the glass. It also has quite a bit of non-subtle anomalous noise that I haven’t heard with any other tubes in this amp or with any tubes in my other amp, so I would say that lends a bit of weight to the hypothesis that this is a sign of a real problem and not just a benign glow.

I’ve seen a white getter only one time on a blown out Psvane KT-88 - it only lived about 3 months, pity that their QC has deteriorated, because those tubes sound awesome in my main stereo amp. I will say the LinLai KT-88 sounds as good or better though. I’m just now getting to try out the 6SN7s from them (pictured above), they are a little too wide for my main line stage and power amps, but they fit just fine in this bad boy, and they sound fantastic!

Thanks for weighing in on this, and nice name! My wife and I just started my third trip through Battlestar Galactica last week :)

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #2,363 of 2,729
Hi guys !
I'm new in audio. I apologize in advance for the stupid question.
I have WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen). I'm thinking about buying WA22 (2nd gen).
Are there any differences between them? How much better is the WA22 (2nd gen) and how much will it add to the sound quality.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #2,364 of 2,729
Hi guys !
Are there any differences between them? How much better is the WA22 (2nd gen) and how much will it add to the sound quality.
Noticed your posts in the various Cayin threads as I have been considering adding one of them to my Woo collection. Have not listened to the most recent generation of the WA7 but I have auditioned earlier ones in making my earlier purchase decisions. WA6 owner since 2015, WA22 since 2016. In my opinion the WA22 will give you the finest tube amp performance for the dollars invested. Add in huge tube rolling capabilities, if you want to explore the hobby, and you will be a happy listener. Subject only to having a suitable source to feed the 22. Comparing the two models is an apples/oranges deal. They are very different and, I think, aimed at different parts of the market. Think a small office/work setup vs a decent fairly serious home based one. All the questions you have posted are totally valid and reasonable. Hope someone chimes in to give you a better answer. Maybe add some information on what kit you plan to mate with your future amp? I think you found a good thread... Another fun, and high performing amp, is the McIntosh MHA200... an in-between size and presentation.

(missed your kit in the signature line 😯)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #2,365 of 2,729
Maybe add some information on what kit you plan to mate with your future amp? I think you found a good thread...

(missed your kit in the signature line 😯)
ZMF CALDERA , ZMF ATRIUM CLOSED , ABYSS DIANA MR , FOSTEX 900 MK2

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #2,366 of 2,729
ZMF CALDERA , ZMF ATRIUM CLOSED , ABYSS DIANA MR , FOSTEX 900 MK2
Some very nice kit there. Sadly none I have tried with my Woo gear (or Chord, McIntosh, SPL...) I am in the world of Utopia, Stellia, Elear, HD800, HD820, MDR-Z7... Good luck with your decisions. Hope you post with the decision and results.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #2,367 of 2,729
Hi guys !
I liked the WA7 when I test drove it. It's a nice, convenient, attractive, desktop type set up. I see it as a product for college dorms or quiet home office set ups. It does the job nicely and is a nice introduction to tube headphone amps. The WA22 is a totally different level. My initial and simplistic summary explanation might be like going from a Honda Civic to a V12 Jaguar. I'm talking a ton more horsepower and a lot more range of everything.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #2,368 of 2,729
Hi guys !
Take this with a massive grain of salt please, as I have limited experience with tube amps as well, but I have a couple of thoughts for you:

1) I have generally found that I really prefer the sound of tubes that are more oversized for their application (12AU7 vs 6SN7). I think the 6SN7 drivers are beastly compared to smaller tubes in the small number of implementations I have heard, and to be clear I have not heard the WA7. They might confer a bit less distortion and ”tube sound” than other tubes, but I think the 6SN7 leads to a very clear overall presentation with a subtle tube sound that is good at taking the edge off of harshness but still sounding full-bodied and clear. I appreciate the light touch of this effect, as I don’t want the music to sound totally different than intended, I just want to add a little euphonic “magic.” The best analogy I have for this difference is like the small signature of a very high end turntable - it very rarely sounds scratchy or compressed, versus tubes being intentionally pushed hard to get “tube sound” being more like recordings like Leon Bridges “Coming Home” adding artificial vinyl distortion and artifacts (static, pops, dynamic range compression) - in my opinion this adds what makes vinyl nostalgic, but misses the point of what makes vinyl sound magical. I think some small tube implementations can run that risk, but I don’t doubt that there are very good ones, and considering the praise for the WA7 and the quality I have seen from Woo Audio in the WA22, the WA7 may very well be a great implementation.

2) I think you’ll notice a significant difference due to the other tube elements in this amp as opposed to the firefly. If I’m not mistaken, the WA7 uses the tubes in the preamp stage but has a solid state power amplification. This can have advantages for power and compatibility, but with a very powerful (and output transformer–coupled) all-tube design like the WA22, you don’t wind up having to make compromises (except for the price :ksc75smile:). I think there are qualitative differences to the sound when you have a power amplification stage that also operates on tubes, and especially in a design like this where the coloration of the power tubes will also have an impact on what you hear. It is more than just the harmonic distortion characteristics - it’s how power tubes handle dynamic swings up and down in output, I think it’s more elegant than solid state. This also applies to tube rectification which creates more of a gradual response to massive changes in output versus solid state.

Reason 1 is more of a “quantitative” difference - harmonic distortion, frequency response, etc. being different between different tubes, but generally the same idea. Reason 2 is more qualitative, and I think it’s something you have to experience for yourself to see if you like it. Being reductionist, I could sum it up by saying that you will give up a bit of precision and technicality (not much with this very well-crafted model, but some) relative to pieces with solid-state stages, but you will get an 2 additional qualitative levels (power amplification and rectification) of tube magic.

I warn you that if you do like it, it becomes pretty addictive (but I’m sure you already know that as an audiophile). I should also warn you that preamp stage tubes (small signal tubes that run at relatively low power like the 12AU7 in the WA7 or the 6SN7 in the WA22) are much more reliable than power tubes and even some rectifiers in my experience. I think that modern implementations of hybrid solid-state / tube amps can give the impression that tubes are really reliable and easy to deal with. When you add the other tube types into the mix, you wind up with more points of failure that have higher rates of failure. It is totally manageable, but it is good to be warned going into it that more complications are to be expected with all-tube designs (see my recent experience with the possibly leaky power tube above for just such an example). Luckily there are awesome communities like this one for sharing knowledge about these things, and as you get a feel for dealing with these, it’s not bad at all, just not as “plug and play” as we might be used to with more modern devices. There’s a reason they keep making these high end all-tube designs and picky listeners like me and the others you see on this thread put up with their fiddly nature - when it all comes together, it is just an experience that you cannot replicate any other way. Hope this is helpful, and I hope you enjoy whatever you end up listening to!

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #2,369 of 2,729
Some very nice kit there. Sadly none I have tried with my Woo gear (or Chord, McIntosh, SPL...) I am in the world of Utopia, Stellia, Elear, HD800, HD820, MDR-Z7... Good luck with your decisions. Hope you post with the decision and results.
Hi man. How do you like the Z7 with the WA22? I know that headphone to be a bit quirky. Personally I EQ mine, but regardless I’d like to know your thoughts. 🤝😁

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #2,370 of 2,729
Hi man. How do you like the Z7 with the WA22? I know that headphone to be a bit quirky. Personally I EQ mine, but regardless I’d like to know your thoughts. 🤝😁
Short answer is no longer so much. Longer answer:
I am no longer one to EQ except with the built in functions on my MOJO 2, and even then not much. Figure good source and chain and there isn't a need. I used to EQ rather heavily but that was prior to getting into tubed amps a decade ago. The Z7 were my go to phones when I mainly used Sony kit and then a WA6. Solid, decent performance and built tank tough. They really stand up to use and abuse. As I grew into the WA22 I had also added a HD800 and Elear. Still enjoyed the Z7 but then I started to roll more tubes in the WA22 and found many an improvement... which lead to seeking out more tube variations and with each improvement the Z7 became muddier and bloated... The Elears didn't fair so well either. The HD800 loved the upgrades. Added the HD820 whose low end clarity kills the Z7. Enter playing around with pre-amping the WA22 and a whole new level was found. Closely thereafter a Naim Unity Core Server was added and the chain has proven pretty much fatal to the Z7s. Utopia and Stellia joined the stable. The Z7 were a good value in their day but for me, did not stand the test of time. More honestly, the improving chain simply revealed their limits and weak points. Big problem is having heard their weaknesses I can't unhear them. I still roll them into play on a regular basis just because they are old friends and I won't part with them. Best current use is on the WA6 fed by a Woo WDS-1 DAC. The WA22, on the other hand, is a beast. Every day it competes against several other quality amps on my listening desk without breaking a sweat. It has scaled up and brought bigger smiles with every effort to improve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back