Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Jul 13, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,171 of 2,692
Jul 13, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,172 of 2,692
Is it possible?
Many do it on the Feliks Euforia which also uses 6SN7 and 6080.

KT88 need less current than 6080 at the same voltage.
You need an adapter with correct pin out and will Lose the warranty though.

However from my limited understanding it should work and I wanted to inquire if anyone ever tried it in here.

Maybe it doesn't play well with the output transformer and that's why it works on Euforia and nobody does it here.

I learned about this two days ago as well.

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,173 of 2,692
Many do it on the Feliks Euforia which also uses 6SN7 and 6080.

KT88 need less current than 6080 at the same voltage.
You need an adapter with correct pin out and will Lose the warranty though.

However from my limited understanding it should work and I wanted to inquire if anyone ever tried it in here.

Maybe it doesn't play well with the output transformer and that's why it works on Euforia and nobody does it here.

I learned about this two days ago as well.

Tube amps are such a pain, if Woo does not give me the OK I would not risk it even if the math adds up

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,174 of 2,692
Tube amps are such a pain, if Woo does not give me the OK I would not risk it even if the math adds up
Woo most certainly won't give the ok on this.
I simply wanted to ask for experiences of those that tried it

Even Feliks doesn't give the ok but many used that setup for years without issues.
Learned about this in their thread and that spiked my interest, therefore I came asking here as well.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,175 of 2,692
Man. Have upgraded to a pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGT tubes (pre-owned) and the sound went to another level with deeper bass and a more pleasing balanced sound. Love it!

But I get the occasional static on one side of my phones with one tube but once I pull it out and put it back in, it's fine. Maybe the tube will die on me... hopefully not.

:L3000: :L3000:

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,176 of 2,692
Man. Have upgraded to a pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGT tubes (pre-owned) and the sound went to another level with deeper bass and a more pleasing balanced sound. Love it!

But I get the occasional static on one side of my phones with one tube but once I pull it out and put it back in, it's fine. Maybe the tube will die on me... hopefully not.

:L3000: :L3000:
Had the same with the same tubes. Only one of tubes were bad with a little bit of static. Bad luck that happens. But awesome tubes!!

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,177 of 2,692
I have been using some NOS Sylvania Brown Base driver tubes, which definitely sounded a lot better than the generic ones that came from Woo. Yesterday my pair of Black Treasures arrived and they sound fantastic. In many ways better than the Brown Base even. Certainly a different flavor than the Sylvania.

I have a Mullard rectifier (NOS) coming later in the week. Currently using a NOS JAN Phillips which was a nice improvement from the generic that Woo sent. Hoping for a similar difference as what I had comparing the Sylvania to the Black Treasures driver tubes!

So far the only power tubes I have are two pair of NOS JAN Phillips. I want to try a different power tube but I am not going to the expense of some of those out there at this time :).

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,178 of 2,692
I have been using some NOS Sylvania Brown Base driver tubes, which definitely sounded a lot better than the generic ones that came from Woo. Yesterday my pair of Black Treasures arrived and they sound fantastic. In many ways better than the Brown Base even. Certainly a different flavor than the Sylvania.

I have a Mullard rectifier (NOS) coming later in the week. Currently using a NOS JAN Phillips which was a nice improvement from the generic that Woo sent. Hoping for a similar difference as what I had comparing the Sylvania to the Black Treasures driver tubes!

So far the only power tubes I have are two pair of NOS JAN Phillips. I want to try a different power tube but I am not going to the expense of some of those out there at this time :).
You may find that the Mullard rectifier tube has the most dramatic effect on the sound quality emanating from the WA22. When I put in an IEC/Mullard GZ34 to replace a brown base RCA 5R4UG in my WA6 first generation, the improvements were dramatic. I guess that everything begins with the purity/quality of the dc flowing through the circuitry...

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,179 of 2,692
You may find that the Mullard rectifier tube has the most dramatic effect on the sound quality emanating from the WA22. When I put in an IEC/Mullard GZ34 to replace a brown base RCA 5R4UG in my WA6 first generation, the improvements were dramatic. I guess that everything begins with the purity/quality of the dc flowing through the circuitry...
Looking forward to trying it. I do know that going from the no name rectifier tube that Woo provided to the JAN Phillips was a nice improvement.

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,180 of 2,692
Looking forward to trying it. I do know that going from the no name rectifier tube that Woo provided to the JAN Phillips was a nice improvement.
Hmmm, I was told the rectifier tube has the least effect on the sound, that is in comparison to the other tubes on the WA22.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,181 of 2,692
@attmci "Keep your eyes on ECC35 and USAF-596 (need adaptor) which are still available at reasonable price". Where you seeing reasonable as the ECC35 RU1 and RU2 with brown base from the 50's and 60's current market range is $250.00 to $500.00 per single, unless you're referring to ECC35 RU4 with yellow lettering from 70's. Also the USAF-596 current market range is $225.00 to $300.00. Maybe reasonable equals something different for others :darthsmile:

IMG_4717.jpg
IMG_4908.jpg
IMG_4727.jpg

Threw in the Brimar CV1985 KB/ FB 1955 for good measure ...

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #1,182 of 2,692
@attmci "Keep your eyes on ECC35 and USAF-596 (need adaptor) which are still available at reasonable price". Where you seeing reasonable as the ECC35 RU1 and RU2 with brown base from the 50's and 60's current market range is $250.00 to $500.00 per single, unless you're referring to ECC35 RU4 with yellow lettering from 70's. Also the USAF-596 current market range is $225.00 to $300.00. Maybe reasonable equals something different for others :darthsmile:

IMG_4717.jpgIMG_4908.jpg IMG_4727.jpg

Threw in the Brimar CV1985 KB/ FB 1955 for good measure ...

Yeah I gave up on them, the prices are BS. You could get USAF for 120 ish USD a few years ago

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #1,184 of 2,692
Jul 14, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #1,185 of 2,692
Well I just recently purchased my WA22 (2nd Gen) and have purchased two different NOS tube sets for the drivers, two NOS set for the power tubes, and two different NOS rectifiers, not counting the tubes that came with the amp... that is a decent amount of tubes purchased in about a month. I think this is certainly enough to get started :).

As I get into the Woo more I might end up picking up some more "special" tubes... from previous experience with other amplifiers I do believe the Black Treasures are definitely a great value for a really good sounding tube!

The only other tube device I currently use is my Hattor pre-amplifier and I rotate four different sets of tubes in it :).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back