Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Jun 20, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,141 of 2,700
There are a lot of posts here on the thread regarding hum. It seems that either the amp design is flawed or some hum is expected or both.

Some people actually managed to achieve pitch black background here afaik, it all came down to tube combo.

I am in that journey myself right now. Instead of being frustrated I‘m enjoying this part of the adventure. I get immensely annoyed by hum as well and a completely silent background is my goal. I am enjoying the sound of the amp too much to give up. Also, I’m stubborn.

Here’s my personal experience so far:

1. It wasn’t ground loop for me (I’ve created a ground loop on purpose and then there was ground hum on top the amp hum just to test lol).

2. Power? I’ve tested the amp with different cables in different outlets in different parts of homes in literally two different continents (no joking, it was a pain to take the amp as my carry-on luggage). Nothing changed (props to Woo for making an amp with a 110-240v switch though. WHY CAN’T MORE PEOPLE DO THAT?)

3. All about the tubes. The stock ones were garbage. Not only they had hum but some also had RF interference.

4. You can sometimes pinpoint which tube is the cause of the hum. The hum is stronger on one side? Switch power tubes sides and see if the stronger hum migrates to the other channel. Do the same with the driver tubes. I can tell even in matched pair some tubes are noisier than others. But then again, I’m still refusing to buy the overpriced tubes from the Woo website and I’m getting mine from eBay, the classifieds here and such. I’ve read here that really strong tubes with good matching may impact on the hum. I’m too much of a fan of cold, analytical solid state amps to let myself spend that much on NOS tubes.

5. Some tubes may sound noisy from the box but will get quieter as they settle down after some hours of use. Do not buy, test for a few minutes, conclude it’s noisy AF and then flip them on head-fi. Give them a week or two. My U52 rectifier got considerably quieter.

I’ve just put a pair of GE 6AS7GA in the place of my matched quad GE 6BL7GTA yesterday. Sounds like a Mr. Coffee machine, but I’ll keep the amp running with headphones plugged in for a couple hours every day and then check it out just to be sure.

I’m also tired of going this vintage NOS tube way and I’m trying brand new psvane tubes next. Just out of curiosity and because I’m enjoying this quest. Before an audio gear enthusiast I was a guitar player so I can tell ya: every tube amp has its own cross to carry. Not a defect, a feature lol :k701smile: can be super frustrating if you don’t enjoy the ride. Godspeed and keep sharing your experiences!
So I had this hum issue as well on my WA22 (2nd gen.) and after trying out all sorts of things and determining that it was not ground loop or power cables, etc., I found that it was the pair of 6080 stock tubes that was supplying the hum. After replacing them, the hum disappeared. Problem solved. Although a bad tube may not solve everyone's hum issues, so FWIW.

As for the 'overpriced' upgrade tubes from Woo Audio, I think their prices are fair because you are paying for NOS from a reputable dealer and the ability to return if there are issues. As for buying tubes on eBay, there are many bad products, IMHO, so you're taking a gamble on the quality. Again, my opinion.

I'm using the upgraded Tung Sol 5998 power tubes (from a tube dealer) and upgraded rectifer USAF 596 tube (from Woo Audio): the sound is drop dead gorgeous in combo with Diana Phi headphones, XI Sagra DAC, and ROON.

:L3000: :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #1,142 of 2,700
I recently purchased my WA22 (2nd Gen) and love the amp. I do not have any noise issues at all with the stock tubes, but I am also upgrading to try some better tubes. Anyone have any recommendations for 6080 (or replacements) power tubes?

Thanks for any suggesitons!

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #1,143 of 2,700
I recently purchased my WA22 (2nd Gen) and love the amp. I do not have any noise issues at all with the stock tubes, but I am also upgrading to try some better tubes. Anyone have any recommendations for 6080 (or replacements) power tubes?

The first that comes to mind is the Tung-Sol 5998 - they are pricey. The GE 5998A gives you a high % of the TS 5998 - search for review by @Ripper2860: very favourable and expertly done.

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #1,144 of 2,700
Thank you for the suggestion.

I researched a couple minutes... So I see what you mean about the Tung-Sol 5998 being pricy... :)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #1,145 of 2,700
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #1,146 of 2,700
Jun 21, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #1,147 of 2,700

Are you starting your rolling with the power?
Might i suggest starting the gain? The should be the largest impact.
There are some really nice 6SN7 options.

You should enjoy the CBS Hytron 5692. Upscale has them and they aren't to much. (and they are a seller you can trust. They do test.)

(stay away from all this scary foot talk too... )

UPDATE:
Wait a sec, the 6sn7 in the wa22 is the driver. hrmm.. then what is the big impact then?
In my primaluna the gain tubes are the one with the largest impact. (gain > power > driver). Schiit freya+ gain> driver.

So what is the big impact for the wa22? ie, the big $$ impact? power > driver > rectifier ? (that would be my guess then.)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #1,148 of 2,700
oh.. any thoughts on the USAF vs the Sophia?
I ended up getting the Sohia because it looks cooler. (i have the tubes.. but i'm waiting on my wa22 still.. black takes a long time)
I'm using the CBS 5962, Sophia and Tung Sol 5998 NOS.

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #1,149 of 2,700
Are you starting your rolling with the power?
Might i suggest starting the gain? The should be the largest impact.
There are some really nice 6SN7 options.

You should enjoy the CBS Hytron 5692. Upscale has them and they aren't to much. (and they are a seller you can trust. They do test.)

(stay away from all this scary foot talk too... )

UPDATE:
Wait a sec, the 6sn7 in the wa22 is the driver. hrmm.. then what is the big impact then?
In my primaluna the gain tubes are the one with the largest impact. (gain > power > driver). Schiit freya+ gain> driver.

So what is the big impact for the wa22? ie, the big $$ impact? power > driver > rectifier ? (that would be my guess then.)
For the sonic impact, I would think the rectifier: the first departure point for the dc just converted from ac…

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,150 of 2,700
my vote is Sophia 274B rectifier tube. It is what I'm using.

note: changing the power tube would change the specifications and noise-floor of the amplifier. If you're using highly efficient headphones like Focal, HD800, Grado, etc. you may hear noise if the new tubes are not tested to be "low noise".

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #1,152 of 2,700
I've been eyeing the WA22.. but went with the WA33.. then changed my mind.. cause $$$$$
So i'm getting the WA22.

With the money i "saved" (clearly not saved as is then spent it!?) i ordered the hifiman susvara.
Here is the "can i run this" headphone question :wink:

Clearly the wa22 can run the susvara.. but run it well?
Tubes i'm going to use:
Tung Sol 5998 (NOS)
274B Sophia
CBS/Hytron 5692 (NOS)

If it won't run well.. i don't think i'd want to give up on the TS 5998. Rectifier have any impact? I did pick the Sophia because it looks cool...
the Takatsuki TA-274B and the 274B-HP KR tubes are $$$$ and seem to be made (or at least priced at) a more fancy unit. (also one of the reason i passed on the WA33. That is a lot more tubes i'd need to buy.)

Advice? (yes yes.. WA33 is better.. i know.. but $2500 + tubes vs $8k-$17 + tubes.. ouch. Also the WA33 was to big for my desk. I also like 6sn7 tubes.)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #1,153 of 2,700
I've been eyeing the WA22.. but went with the WA33.. then changed my mind.. cause $$$$$
So i'm getting the WA22.

With the money i "saved" (clearly not saved as is then spent it!?) i ordered the hifiman susvara.
Here is the "can i run this" headphone question :wink:

Clearly the wa22 can run the susvara.. but run it well?
Tubes i'm going to use:
Tung Sol 5998 (NOS)
274B Sophia
CBS/Hytron 5692 (NOS)

If it won't run well.. i don't think i'd want to give up on the TS 5998. Rectifier have any impact? I did pick the Sophia because it looks cool...
the Takatsuki TA-274B and the 274B-HP KR tubes are $$$$ and seem to be made (or at least priced at) a more fancy unit. (also one of the reason i passed on the WA33. That is a lot more tubes i'd need to buy.)

Advice? (yes yes.. WA33 is better.. i know.. but $2500 + tubes vs $8k-$17 + tubes.. ouch. Also the WA33 was to big for my desk. I also like 6sn7 tubes.)
This is a crazy hobby and the law of diminishing returns applies well here...

I'm sure the WA33 sounds crazy good and if I had the $$$, I would probably buy it. But the WA22 with the tubes you mentioned (I have the 5998s, 596 USAF rectifier, and Sylvania 6SN7Ws) sound insane with my Diana Phi.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,154 of 2,700
doesn't the Diana Phi have great sensitivity and easy to drive?

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #1,155 of 2,700
doesn't the Diana Phi have great sensitivity and easy to drive?
Yeah, they're pretty easy to drive being 32 ohms and 91 sensitivity. Much easier on my head too than the 1266s...
:gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back