Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Oct 18, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #947 of 2,692
Just find some blue LEDs, mount them beneath the tube sockets, and link them to some power sources internal or external.

But I guess it works best for these miniature glass tubes. Tubes with bakelite bases will block the LED light.

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #949 of 2,692
Rectifier tubes is another deep pit for your money, some of them can be very expensive.

I still hold the belief (thou many would disagree) that we should go SS rectification in tube amps and not to waste money on rectifier tubes. I know rectifier tubes also have a significant impact on the tube amp sound, but the thing is the rectifier tube is not in the signal path, it only converts AC to DC in the amp. The sound difference from rectifier tubes is not caused by changing the audio signal directly, but rather possibly by changing the operating points of driver/power tubes in the circuit. If we can have an excellent SS rectification that ensures perfect operating points on the driver/power tubes, then the amp should sound as good.
I will leave it to @Dubstep Girl. LOL

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #951 of 2,692
The Sophia is a pretty decent rectifier. For the next step up, without spending a crazy amount, I find the EML 5u4g and Psvane 1:1 we274b replica are better sounding tubes.

For warmer drivers, I quite like the RCA smoke glass 6sn7gt/vt231.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #952 of 2,692
422. 421 is similar to the 5988 which is a power tube.

Right, i meant 422.

The Sophia is a pretty decent rectifier. For the next step up, without spending a crazy amount, I find the EML 5u4g and Psvane 1:1 we274b replica are better sounding tubes.

For warmer drivers, I quite like the RCA smoke glass 6sn7gt/vt231.

Thanks, I am waiting for rca 6sn7 to be delivered. Will see.

How are EML/Psvane as compared to Sophia? The link above says EML is warmer. I have not found much info on Psvane, but had no time to go through the whole thread.

Wa 22 surprised me with a bit bright sound as opposed to my previous OTL amp. Maybe this is subjective, but i am looking for warmer/darker sound. My lcd3f are not

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #953 of 2,692
Right, i meant 422.

How are EML/Psvane as compared to Sophia? The link above says EML is warmer. I have not found much info on Psvane, but had no time to go through the whole thread.

Wa 22 surprised me with a bit bright sound as opposed to my previous OTL amp. Maybe this is subjective, but i am looking for warmer/darker sound. My lcd3f are not

I actually found the Sophia a bit harsher on top than the eml/psvane. Psvane is in the warmer side, and sounds overall more balanced than EML.

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #954 of 2,692
Right, i meant 422.

Have you tried your GEC 6as7g with the amp? Do you have a Sittard GZ34? You may want to stick with these tubes and then try different driver tubes. Everyone has their own preference.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #955 of 2,692
Have you tried your GEC 6as7g with the amp? Do you have a Sittard GZ34? You may want to stick with these tubes and then try different driver tubes. Everyone has their own preference.

GE 6astga did not impressed me. I put RCA 6as7g, which seems to sound better. I do not have Sittard GZ34. Unfortunately i am still waiting for 6sn7 types to roll (it takes ages to ship from US to Europe sometimes), i only have GE for now. I hope rca 6sn7 or rca 6f8g will bring more more colour.

Generally i am quite surprised than my previous otl amp was much more colorful than wa22 with my lcd3f, although wa22 is obviously technically superior.

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #956 of 2,692
GE 6astga did not impressed me. I put RCA 6as7g, which seems to sound better. I do not have Sittard GZ34. Unfortunately i am still waiting for 6sn7 types to roll (it takes ages to ship from US to Europe sometimes), i only have GE for now. I hope rca 6sn7 or rca 6f8g will bring more more colour.

Generally i am quite surprised than my previous otl amp was much more colorful than wa22 with my lcd3f, although wa22 is obviously technically superior.
GEC is not a GE. GZ34 can save you some $$. :) Oh, not those reissued ones.

Without top tubes, the wa22 sounds pretty much as you discribed.

There is a 422 appeared in eBay today and sold for 400 plus shipping within seconds. I have to stop recommending tubes here. Otherwise the rich ppl will grab all those nice tubes. :)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #957 of 2,692
GEC is not a GE. GZ34 can save you some $$. :) Oh, not those reissued ones.

Without top tubes, the wa22 sounds pretty much as you discribed.

There is a 422 appeared in eBay today and sold for 400 plus shipping within seconds. I have to stop recommending tubes here. Otherwise the rich ppl will grab all those nice tubes. :)

I was a bit disappointed at the beginning, but need to hold on for a while. I changed tubes into Sophia Princess/tung sol 6as7/RCA 6sn7gt black plates. It is much better, but i need to give tubes the time to burn in. I guess it is quite good setup and hope it will finally sound good with my lcd3f.

I will get Shuguang Treasure cv181z tomorrow and will also check.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #958 of 2,692
My wa22 is burning in and the sound is improving significantly. Just started to wonder which version i have. It has preamp option in front, however the preamp out at the back is not availabe (only plug instead of out). Can anybody tell which version (1st or 2nd) it is? Not really important for me, but started to wonder.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #959 of 2,692
My wa22 is burning in and the sound is improving significantly. Just started to wonder which version i have. It has preamp option in front, however the preamp out at the back is not availabe (only plug instead of out). Can anybody tell which version (1st or 2nd) it is? Not really important for me, but started to wonder.
Can you please explain a little more what you mean here “(only plug instead of out).” Or if you don’t mind can you take a picture of it.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #960 of 2,692
If it's 2nd gen, it will say 2nd gen on the back of the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back