Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Nov 21, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #16 of 2,699
Using the WA22 with Mullard 6080s, Brimar and Sophia 274b, and Sylvania 6SN7S. Feeding it from a Sony HAPZ1es in balanced mode, and a highly modded Squeezebox with an outboard power supply streaming Tidal through a Musical Fidelity TriVista DAC, and VPI Prime with an EAR834p phono stage.

The amp loves the HD650 but does ok with the LCD3. I have a WA5 on the way that may outclass this amp, but it does so well with Sennheisers it is worth keeping. Really hoping to find the right tubes to tame glare.

I use the LCD3. Try power tubes such as Tung Sol 5998 or 4 * 6BL7's. Also try a higher gain driver such as the ECC35. I get great results. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #17 of 2,699

How are the b65?

Perhaps my favorite tubes. Too rare and expensive to use though. They are now safely in storage and will be sold at a later date or plundered in case emergency funds are ever required.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #18 of 2,699
  I also prefer a Vibb Eaters Mini like this always sitting on the WA22 power transformer, that seems turning WA22 into a more clear, peace & consistent sonic (vs temperamental?).

Maybe the Vibb Eaters Mini stops vibrations from the transformer? I had vibration problems with my WA22 when I first got it, but it's been fine since I upgraded the power cord and added a power filter. A tech I know mentioned that I could open up the top and fill the compartment with something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LBS-Glass-Bead-MIL-3-A-20-30-grit-Coarse-Media-Reborn-Doll-Abrasive-/121836693679

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #19 of 2,699
  I haven't had much luck with any tubes that have wires sticking out of them and require an adapter. I always get a slight hum with them - even with the Glenn adapters.

I've never had problems with using Glenn 6F8G adapters (I have 3 different sets) with TSRP 6C8G's and NU6F8G's. No hum or buzz at all.

The 596 buzzed when using with 6C8G's. Just too many wires. A damn shame as it sounded freakin amazing.

Maybe the Vibb Eaters Mini stops vibrations from the transformer? I had vibration problems with my WA22 when I first got it, but it's been fine since I upgraded the power cord and added a power filter. A tech I know mentioned that I could open up the top and fill the compartment with something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LBS-Glass-Bead-MIL-3-A-20-30-grit-Coarse-Media-Reborn-Doll-Abrasive-/121836693679

I've never heard of a vibration from the transformer issue. Is it a hum sound? I do get that on occasion. Not often. Not enough to annoy.

Could you actually do what you said above?

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #20 of 2,699
  I haven't had much luck with any tubes that have wires sticking out of them and require an adapter. I always get a slight hum with them - even with the Glenn adapters.

I've never had problems with using Glenn 6F8G adapters (I have 3 different sets) with TSRP 6C8G's and NU6F8G's. No hum or buzz at all.

The 596 buzzed when using with 6C8G's. Just too many wires. A damn shame as it sounded freakin amazing.

I've never heard of a vibration from the transformer issue. Is it a hum sound? I do get that on occasion. Not often. Not enough to annoy.

Could you actually do what you said above?

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #21 of 2,699

I thought these were interesting. They are a RCA 6SL7. Perfectly usable as drivers. I was looking for 6SL7's to go with the 596 rectifier.

These have the same plates as the NU6FG (a sweet sounding tube). I think these plates were made by RCA as I see it in a few of their tubes. I suspect NU purchased plates from RCA and used in their 6F8G then got the reputation.

Probably a great sounding tube. Has anyone tried?

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #23 of 2,699
Glad to join in the fun ,here's my setup at the moment                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #25 of 2,699
  Very cool thread great to be part this one since I'm also a happy owner of a wa22..

Rockin the ECC32's and TS 5998's! Where did you get the vibration bands from?

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #26 of 2,699

I thought these were interesting. They are a RCA 6SL7. Perfectly usable as drivers. I was looking for 6SL7's to go with the 596 rectifier.

These have the same plates as the NU6FG (a sweet sounding tube). I think these plates were made by RCA as I see it in a few of their tubes. I suspect NU purchased plates from RCA and used in their 6F8G then got the reputation.

Probably a great sounding tube. Has anyone tried?

I've got a pair of Mullard 6SL7's. They work great.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #27 of 2,699

596, GEC 6080 and is that TSRP's?

I bet that sounds great.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #28 of 2,699

596, GEC 6080 and is that TSRP's?

I bet that sounds great.

Tungsol 6SL7                                                                                                                                                                        

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #29 of 2,699
Dude I also have a pair of those very nice.. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #30 of 2,699
Visiting Pearl Harbor memorial today, in the bowels of a WWII submarine, and I spy this in the Equipment locker:

A closer inspection reveals this:

All I can think is: what would that sound like in the WA22?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back