Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 7, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #287 of 774
We are shipping orders placed in 2018 and moving as scheduled. If you have placed an order recently, it will ship toward the end of the month.

Have you guys shipped any international orders yet? I'm hearing we might see some units in Taiwan within a week or two...hope that's true.

Mar 7, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #288 of 774
@WooAudio I've some concerns about the USB C implementation you decided to do. Based on what I have seen, you are shipping the unit with a special USB C to USB C cable, and a regular USB C to USB C cable doesn't seem to work (based on experiences of persons with the unit). I looked up the USB C specification and there are only 2 types of USB C to USB C cables that are allowed (Section 3.4 defines them), so section 3.4.1 and 3.4.2 define USB C 3.1 and USB C 2.0 respectively as the only two allowed by the specification and none of them have directionality, contrary to that the cable you are shipping with the unit is a "OTG" cable that has a host side. Based on that your cable doesn't meet the "USB Type-C Cable and Connector Specification" and it's going to be a pain to find replacements.

Is there a good reason for you creating your own cable instead of adhering to the specification?

Mar 7, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #289 of 774
Mar 7, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #291 of 774
@WooAudio I've some concerns about the USB C implementation you decided to do. Based on what I have seen, you are shipping the unit with a special USB C to USB C cable, and a regular USB C to USB C cable doesn't seem to work (based on experiences of persons with the unit). I looked up the USB C specification and there are only 2 types of USB C to USB C cables that are allowed (Section 3.4 defines them), so section 3.4.1 and 3.4.2 define USB C 3.1 and USB C 2.0 respectively as the only two allowed by the specification and none of them have directionality, contrary to that the cable you are shipping with the unit is a "OTG" cable that has a host side. Based on that your cable doesn't meet the "USB Type-C Cable and Connector Specification" and it's going to be a pain to find replacements.

Is there a good reason for you creating your own cable instead of adhering to the specification?

The USB-C input for DAC and for Charge on WA11 was carefully thought through AND tested extensively. We know that USB 2.0 has plenty of bandwidth to pass Hi-Res Audio including DSD so the 10Gbps bandwidth of USB 3.1 Gen 1 is not necessary for music playback. Additionally, we seperated the power delivery on WA11 so the sound quality is not impacted when the battery is charging while in use.

It would be easy for us to implement the USB 3.1 Gen 1 standard if WA11 ONLY needs to be compatible with the latest devices that also complies to the USB 3.1 Gen 1 standard. The reality is.... there are many computers, tablets, phones, and DAPs with variations of operating systems and USB controllers our customers are currently using. In our extensive testing with a wide range of devices, it was clear to us that the implementation of USB from big hardware manufacturers (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Samsung, Lenovo, Dell, Sony, etc.) varies GREATLY. Think about how cumbersome to use an Apple device with Lightning port (Apple Lightning to USB "camera adapter" required) with an external DAC/amp today.

In the end, we needed to pick our battles so we chose compatibility without the need for adapter and dongles as the primary objective. The supplied USB-C cable is a specialty cable (directional and OTG). This ensures ONE cable will rule them all. If we use the USB 3.1 Gen 1 standard, some WA11 users will have to use an adapter with their devices that don't meet the USB 3.1 Gen 1 standards. In the near future, customers will be able to buy replacement USB-C cable on our website and on Amazon with Prime shipping.

I've not received any additional communication regarding the WA11 after I pre-ordered it in July 2018.

Pls. send an email to info@wooaudio.com with your order number and a team member will check the status of your order.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #292 of 774
The USB-C input for DAC and for Charge on WA11 was carefully thought through AND tested extensively. We know that USB 2.0 has plenty of bandwidth to pass Hi-Res Audio including DSD so the 10Gbps bandwidth of USB 3.1 Gen 1 is not necessary for music playback. Additionally, we seperated the power delivery on WA11 so the sound quality is not impacted when the battery is charging while in use.

It would be easy for us to implement the USB 3.1 Gen 1 standard if WA11 ONLY needs to be compatible with the latest devices that also complies to the USB 3.1 Gen 1 standard. The reality is.... there are many computers, tablets, phones, and DAPs with variations of operating systems and USB controllers our customers are currently using. In our extensive testing with a wide range of devices, it was clear to us that the implementation of USB from big hardware manufacturers (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Samsung, Lenovo, Dell, Sony, etc.) varies GREATLY. Think about how cumbersome to use an Apple device with Lightning port (Apple Lightning to USB "camera adapter" required) with an external DAC/amp today.

In the end, we needed to pick our battles so we chose compatibility without the need for adapter and dongles as the primary objective. The supplied USB-C cable is a specialty cable (directional and OTG). This ensures ONE cable will rule them all. If we use the USB 3.1 Gen 1 standard, some WA11 users will have to use an adapter with their devices that don't meet the USB 3.1 Gen 1 standards. In the near future, customers will be able to buy replacement USB-C cable on our website and on Amazon with Prime shipping.

Pls. send an email to info@wooaudio.com with your order number and a team member will check the status of your order.
The main advantage of USB C is the compatibility, if at the end the WA11 is only compatible with your special cables and your special charger then there’s no sense on using USB C. It’s like having proprietary connectors because we don’t have options other than buying the cables from you.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #293 of 774
The main advantage of USB C is the compatibility, ....

That is not true... USB-C is very messy right now. There are many articles on the internet trying to explain the mess. The advantage is there ONLY if device is the latest (2019 and newer) AND that it is USB 3.1 Gen 1 or Gen 2 spec.

If we made WA11 to USB 3.1 Gen 1 or Gen 2 spec, that WOULD be a disadvantage to our customers that aren't using newest computers, tablets, phones, DAPs, etc. It is important to us that customers CAN use the devices they own today and the devices they buy in the future. With the supplied cable, WA11 is compatible with all devices WITHOUT the need for an adapter or a dongle.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #294 of 774
It is not a proprietary cable although it is not widely used.You can use any USB-C OTG adapter if you want. This is very common. Having just one cable is simple and clean. It is up to you how to connect the amp.

Also, you can use any USB 5V charger. We include a charger with a 3A output to speed up charging time. It will work with a lower output charger but you will see a longer charge time.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #295 of 774
It is not a proprietary cable although it is not widely used.
It's not part of the USB type C specification.

you can use any USB 5V charger
That's good, does it work with USB type C chargers or only USB type A chargers? As far as I understand it needs to meet certain requirements for a PD charger to recognize it as a legacy device and supply 5V. What happens if someone uses the supplied USB C to USB C cable in a PD charger to try to charge the WA11?

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #296 of 774
@ayang02 + @elira We are working down the queue. Check your Inbox and Spam folder for email from us. :)

Sorry I should clarify that I didn't order from your website directly but rather from a local shop. I was just wondering if you guys have made shipments to your international distributors as I hear rumors that we might see WA11 near the middle of this month in Taiwan.

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #297 of 774
I'm super glad Jack and Mike (and woo ever at Woo Audio) went for USB-C for both power and DAC, the ROI is far more significant, in the long run, considering USB-C is becoming far more available. There are a plethora of converters for USB-C for super cheap, and on top of that, I tip my hat to Woo for putting 4.4mm Pentaconn for passthrough input and output. If I didn't have a Chord Mojo and the WA11 was a tad more affordable (I'm sure it's worth every penny) I would defiantly add it my portable arsenal. Side question for @HiFiGuy528 and my apologies if this has been answered but is there circuitry for the battery to not get charged for people that leave this plugged in 100% of the time? How @Rob Watts designed the Hugo 2?

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #298 of 774
I would say that the use of non-standard USB-C specification is disappointing. I'm expecting to be able to use some of my existing cable and don't need to carry multiple cables with me when I'm travelling.

Anyway, are you guys going to sell a shorter cable?

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #299 of 774
get my wa11 today. It arrived 2 weeks ago, but today the time I can listen it. The sound seems very very good, despite no wa11 neither headphones (ether flow C) are burned up. Looks it is amazing device. Also listened with my campfire atlas - no any problems. I was afraid it won’t be good with sensitive iems and ordered ether for them, but it is good with both iem and headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #300 of 774
CVgu9fnKWXE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back