Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 3, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #272 of 774
Absolutely fantastic. I think I've found a match made in heaven. Running one wire USB-C out of my Samsung Galaxy S9+>WA11 Topaz>Sony MDR-Z7M2 with balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn cable. Brilliant sound. Very resolving, deep & wide soundstage. Tons of detail. Balance & power throughout the frequency spectrum. Honestly, I've never heard my Sonys sound so good.

The WA11 is so small too. Its light but has a sturdy feel to it. I'm very happy. Exactly what I was looking for. No compromises on the go/travel rig.
20190303_110453.jpg

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #273 of 774
Absolutely fantastic. I think I've found a match made in heaven. Running one wire USB-C out of my Samsung Galaxy S9+>WA11 Topaz>Sony MDR-Z7M2 with balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn cable. Brilliant sound. Very resolving, deep & wide soundstage. Tons of detail. Balance & power throughout the frequency spectrum. Honestly, I've never heard my Sonys sound so good.

The WA11 is so small too. Its light but has a sturdy feel to it. I'm very happy. Exactly what I was looking for. No compromises on the go/travel rig.

Sound compared to the WA8?

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #275 of 774

How does the Z7M2 compare to original Z7 ? and does original Z7 sound as good with WA11 ?

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #277 of 774

Wonder how that will slide in my pocket.

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #278 of 774
@Zachik, sorry, I dont have any experience with either of the headphones you mentioned to compare.
You mentioned "Running one wire USB-C out of my Samsung Galaxy S9+>WA11 Topaz>Sony MDR-Z7M2 with balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn cable" so obviously you do use the Sony MDR-Z7M2...
My question was whether you ever tried the original Sony MDR-Z7 and if so - how does it compare to your Sony MDR-Z7M2 ?

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #279 of 774
Wonder how that will slide in my pocket.

Well it could slip into a jacket pocket. But it's not tiny. Would have to be a winter jacket of sorts. Another thought, the way I see using the WA11 is pulling it out of my backpack. I typically use a backpack when I'm on the go. I use the same bag as my carry-on for travel. So on that level it's very doable. But this WA11 isn't going to slide into the back pocket of your favorite pair of jeans.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #280 of 774
You mentioned "Running one wire USB-C out of my Samsung Galaxy S9+>WA11 Topaz>Sony MDR-Z7M2 with balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn cable" so obviously you do use the Sony MDR-Z7M2...
My question was whether you ever tried the original Sony MDR-Z7 and if so - how does it compare to your Sony MDR-Z7M2 ?

No, I've never tried the original Sony MDR-Z7.

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #281 of 774
Well it could slip into a jacket pocket. But it's not tiny. Would have to be a winter jacket of sorts. Another thought, the way I see using the WA11 is pulling it out of my backpack. I typically use a backpack when I'm on the go. I use the same bag as my carry-on for travel. So on that level it's very doable. But this WA11 isn't going to slide into the back pocket of your favorite pair of jeans.
Yeah, but like the Hugo one end the headphone connects and the other end source cable goes into the amp so basically all weight of amp will be on one end which is the cable from your source looping into the amp. Hence weight on this cable and where the cable connects to.

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #282 of 774
10vbSpA.jpg

I have been enjoying mine as well :) I got it on the Canjam NYC showroom floor so I've had about two weeks on the unit, mostly with the Diana Phi and occasionally with the Mysphere 3.2. I was never a fan of the WA8 with stock tubes, found it too warm and slow. The upgrade tube kit tightened the signature up considerably but the overall heat and short battery life were big issues for me, and it wasn't something I ever seriously considered.

Sound-wise the WA11 isn't as linear as some of the other solid state portable options, but it's in a good spot with great density and just a tiny hint of midrange emphasis a.l.a Pass or Rudistor. Personally I would actually prefer the highly linear treble of Mass Kobo amps, but the rolloff does help the amp's synergy with a larger range of headphones. It was a very close call for me between the WA11 and the Mass Kobo 424, the inclusion of a DAC and lower price of the WA11 were the tiebreakers.

Against the WA8 on purely sonic merits, if you're fan of Woo's tube amps, one amp sounds like a tube amp and the other one doesn't. But the WA11 is what I feel like a portable amp in 2019 should be, and nobody else is delivering on the same kind of forward-looking thinking.

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #284 of 774

Users who are viewing this thread

Back