Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #211 of 774
20190218_103048.jpg
Forgive the amateur photo, but this just arrived! Hope to spend some time trying it out later today.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #212 of 774
So far, so good, but I will have to do some research regarding hooking up sources to the WA11. I'm running my old AK100 II (balanced output) since I do not have either a 4.4 mm to 4.4 mm interconnect for the line input, or USB cable to run digital out from my Sony WM1A ( at least, no combo I tried was recognized by the WA11). Luckily I found a short 2.5 mm to 2.5 mm cable, and a 2.5 mm female to 4.4 adapter.
Despite the less than ideal source and cabling situation, it is driving my AKG K7XX with tons of headroom to spare (on the unbalanced jack). Hard to get a good picture on the sound signature due to the AK 100 II comparatively murky sound.

I'll post some more once I either find long lost interconnects in my closet (shudder) or anyone has some cable suggestions!

Edit: seriously, 4.4 mm male to 4.4 mm male interconnects do not seem to be for sale anywhere online, but I have not tried contacting any custom cable makers yet to see if any can build one on special request. I can get by with my cobbled together 2.5 mm balanced interconnect if I get another 4.4 mm adapter. If you want to run balanced output from a DAP with a 4.4 mm jack (such as the Sony, or also an Ibasso DX series with AMP8), you'll need to be a bit creative.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #213 of 774
So far, so good, but I will have to do some research regarding hooking up sources to the WA11. I'm running my old AK100 II (balanced output) since I do not have either a 4.4 mm to 4.4 mm interconnect for the line input, or USB cable to run digital out from my Sony WM1A ( at least, no combo I tried was recognized by the WA11). Luckily I found a short 2.5 mm to 2.5 mm cable, and a 2.5 mm female to 4.4 adapter.
Despite the less than ideal source and cabling situation, it is driving my AKG K7XX with tons of headroom to spare (on the unbalanced jack). Hard to get a good picture on the sound signature due to the AK 100 II comparatively murky sound.

I'll post some more once I either find long lost interconnects in my closet (shudder) or anyone has some cable suggestions!

Edit: seriously, 4.4 mm male to 4.4 mm male interconnects do not seem to be for sale anywhere online, but I have not tried contacting any custom cable makers yet to see if any can build one on special request. I can get by with my cobbled together 2.5 mm balanced interconnect if I get another 4.4 mm adapter. If you want to run balanced output from a DAP with a 4.4 mm jack (such as the Sony, or also an Ibasso DX series with AMP8), you'll need to be a bit creative.
4.4 interconnectors are the new way.

Feb 20, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #214 of 774
I red there is a 4.4 to 4.4 interconnect included in the Oriolus Ba300s bundle... WA should do the same...

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #218 of 774
On the other side, the number of DAPs with enough power for IEMs is increasing, the real need for more power = external amping is with headphones..

Feb 24, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #219 of 774
On the other side, the number of DAPs with enough power for IEMs is increasing, the real need for more power = external amping is with headphones..
That is very true. Comparing the spec of the WA11 to the Cayin N8 Dap shows WA11 has 120 mW @300 Ohm and the N8 has 200 mW @300 Ohm with the N8 comes also with a build in tube amp. I like to hear how the WA11 works with the phones like HE1000 V2, LCD4, etc.

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #220 of 774
@singingbee, I just briefly tried using the WA11 with my Noble Katanas iems. There is a bit of hiss, but you can use iems.

At the moment I'm using an Ibasso DX150 with AMP8 to drive the balanced input on the WA11. In order to get a useful amount of travel on the volume pot, I have the Ibasso volume set at 80 (max is 150). I could be imagining it, but I think there is less hiss when I use the WA11 single ended output, compared with balanced. I'm not hearing much difference between single ended vs balanced. Again, this is only with using the Katanas.

As for the sound, it is very nice and feels a bit relaxed. Not as tubey as the WA8 (especially in 3 tube mode), but has a similar house sound. I'm enjoying it a lot with my Mr. Speakers Aeon single ended until I get my XLR to 4.4 adapter. Vocals definitely shine, but there is still a nice soundstage, if it's in the recording.

Feb 25, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #223 of 774
Feb 25, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #224 of 774
Some further notes:
For potential iem users, when I use the WA11 DAC, I barely get any usable volume range. It may be doable with less sensitive iems than the Noble Katanas. I could barely go from zero volume to very loud before I had the channels balanced. Using line in is the way to go.

Using the Sony WM1A balanced out, I used max volume. The sound was too rounded off and polite otherwise.

ZMF Auteur can be driven very well through the WA11 single ended out, but using high gain. Waiting on my 4.4 adapter so I can finally run some big cans off the balanced out.

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #225 of 774
@SDBiotek I’d love to read about your impressions on the differences. I can’t afford both. Why should I get one over the other?

If you want tubes, the WA8. The tradeoffs are having to wait for a while for the tubes to warm up each time, the WA8 gets pretty hot during use, and while it's battery powered,it is not practical to carry around. I use mine mostly around my house when I don't want to be tied to a desktop amp. For me, it works fine for iems or full size headphones.
The WA11 is definitely smaller and lighter and easier to carry around. It does not sound as lush as the WA8 (especially in 3 tube mode), but it does have some Class A warmth to its sound signature. It charges off USB-C, instead of the large power adapter of the WA8. Not 100% sure on this, but i think the WA11 also runs a bit longer per charge. So far, the WA11 does not seem to be as good a potential match if you use sensitive iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back