Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 31, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #76 of 774
I briefly auditioned the WA11 today in Taiwan using 64 Audio U12 Adel and boy that sound is so full & smooth and the details are great! I immediately placed an order after listening to it for 10 minutes. Like many have said, the gain on this prototype unit is way too high and must be adjusted on the production unit. Hope this product ships within a few months from now!

I've also been told that the GND on the 4.4 mm output is not utilized by the WA11, oh well no biggie. Can't wait to see what the final product looks like!

Any rough comparisons versus your WM1A? Either on IEMs or full size headphones?

I have the Walkman now and use it for all my IEM listening and occasionally some full size cans when I want the portability - hoping to slot the WA11 into that occasion for when I need some more oomph and just wondering how they compare

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #77 of 774
How does WA11 deal with balance analog in if the ground isn’t utilised ?

From what I understand, the 4.4 mm balanced connection only needs 4 terminals (L +/-, R +/-), the same way 2.5 mm TRRS connection works. I asked about the GND since it is the extra pole in the 4.4 mm plug that is either not used or currently used for "other" purposes such as cable ground shielding in other devices.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #78 of 774
Any rough comparisons versus your WM1A? Either on IEMs or full size headphones?

I have the Walkman now and use it for all my IEM listening and occasionally some full size cans when I want the portability - hoping to slot the WA11 into that occasion for when I need some more oomph and just wondering how they compare

I only tested with my U12 IEM but the driving capability of the WA11 is much much better than the WM1A. That doesn't say a lot though since I think WM1A/1Z don't have a lot of driving power to begin with, compared to other DAPs.

I think WA11 is one of those DAC/AMPs that work well with cans or IEMs. I was a bit worried if the WA11 would be "too much" for my IEM but after briefly listening to it, I think it's fine and I do hear a bigger sound stage & more details compared to WM1A. The WM1A has a relatively flat response so I think the WA11 is a bit warmer than that. I did my listening using the USB type-C OTG connection to my iPhone 7 plus, so I'll definitely try this again using the WM1A either using the 4.4 mm balanced out or the Walkman OTG.

I heard the WA11 drove the Sennheiser HD800s beautifully from other people's impressions, so I would imagine this thing can drive a lot of full-size cans well.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #79 of 774
I only tested with my U12 IEM but the driving capability of the WA11 is much much better than the WM1A. That doesn't say a lot though since I think WM1A/1Z don't have a lot of driving power to begin with, compared to other DAPs.

I think WA11 is one of those DAC/AMPs that work well with cans or IEMs. I was a bit worried if the WA11 would be "too much" for my IEM but after briefly listening to it, I think it's fine and I do hear a bigger sound stage & more details compared to WM1A. The WM1A has a relatively flat response so I think the WA11 is a bit warmer than that. I did my listening using the USB type-C OTG connection to my iPhone 7 plus, so I'll definitely try this again using the WM1A either using the 4.4 mm balanced out or the Walkman OTG.

I heard the WA11 drove the Sennheiser HD800s beautifully from other people's impressions, so I would imagine this thing can drive a lot of full-size cans well.

Helpful stuff, thanks for the notes!

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #81 of 774
How would I use the balanced input from an unbalanced source? Say, from a 3.5mm line out on another device? As far as I understand, the rule is that you can go unbalanced to balanced safely, right? Obviously it won't magically become a true balanced signal, but it's still analog to analog and should be safe, right? Is this cable even safe? I realize that this is a weird question, but humor me, I've actually got a reason...

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #82 of 774
How would I use the balanced input from an unbalanced source? Say, from a 3.5mm line out on another device? As far as I understand, the rule is that you can go unbalanced to balanced safely, right? Obviously it won't magically become a true balanced signal, but it's still analog to analog and should be safe, right? Is this cable even safe? I realize that this is a weird question, but humor me, I've actually got a reason...
That cable seems to be done to be the other way around, from balanced output to single ended input, probably by letting the - signal of both channels disconnected and only using the + signal and the ground. Someone said the WA11 doesn’t have the ground connected for the output and if that is the case that cable won’t work in the WA11. As for the input it should be feaseable to ground the - input and let the signal in the + input.

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #85 of 774
Looking forward to any WA11 updates from RMAF. I didn't find the WA11 in the RMAF preview video so I'm wondering if this product is ready for production yet.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #88 of 774
Anyone has impressions on this?
Planning on using it via 4.4 out with my 1Z.
Impressions much appreciated.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #89 of 774

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #90 of 774
I’m with you. There’s not much known about the amp yet. There’s been a few lucky headfiers that has gotten a chance to listen it. But from what I’ve been reading the units out there are all preproduction models. We’ll now more in the coming months once it’s been officially released

Users who are viewing this thread

Back