Woo Audio TUBE mini Balanced Headphone Amplifier/DAC
Jan 13, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #196 of 344
Regarding instead your issue with the SE/BL switch on the Tube Mini I've touched/tested/switched it while playing through the BAL output and have had none of the issues you're experiencing, no drops or crackles or channel interruptions so you probably have a defect on your cable or your unit would need to be seen by Woo Audio, it's definitely an inconsistent behaviour for the Tube Mini given its exceptionally high manufacturing quality, sturdy build and brilliant engineering design implementation. I would first try an upgrade cable like the Forza Audio Works Noir HPC before sending it back to Woo Audio although you could reach out to Mike at Wood Audio who has always been very responsive and he might advise better.
Thank you for the reply. I have contacted Woo Audio through their website to ask about warranty service / next steps. This may turn out to be a good chance to test the RMA process. I have only recently gotten into Woo Audio products, so I have never had a chance to work with their support, but from everything I have heard / read about them, I am optimistic it will go well. I will report back here on results of the process.

Also, a potentially unrelated wrinkle, but maybe worth mentioning if it seems noteworthy to anyone. When I received the unit it was new in its box with what appeared to be an intact factory seal, but the USB adapter was not present anywhere in the box / carrying case. I have replicated my issue with the switch using both the Apple USB-C 4K A/V adapter for the iPad and iPhone as well as with plugging the device directly into a USB-A port on my desktop computer, so I don’t think it was due to the missing cable, but it makes me feel like there was just something up with this unit from the beginning. It also occurs with multiple cables from different brands and multiple sets of headphones, all of which work fine with other amps / dongles. I purchased it from headphones.com - and I have always been pleased with the quality of their products and their service - this is the first issue I have encountered with something from them. I wrote to them about the missing cable, and within a few hours I got a notice from Woo Audio that they were shipping an adapter directly to me - arranged by headphones.com. The whole experience just seems a bit odd relative to the high quality of Woo Audio products and their good reputation, so just sharing in case anyone has insights that spring to mind. I hope to be sharing more info about a quick and effective RMA process shortly! In the meantime, I’ll still be rocking out to the WA22, which has been a flawless performer and came with all of the accessories as advertised.

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #197 of 344
Just a question for those who've tested it with the HE1000SE...I've heard mention of hiss. Does this apply to those headphones?
Also, I've seen two YouTube reviews that mention a thin bass with the Arya Organic. Can you confirm this is not an issue with the HE1000SE please?

I'm using a Mojo 2 at the moment but would like a small 'tubey' alternative. Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #198 of 344
Jay a question for those who've tested it with the HE1000SE...I've heard mention of hiss. Does this apply to those headphones?
Also, I've seen two YouTube reviews that mention a thin bass with the Arya Organic. Can you confirm this is not an issue with the HE1000SE please?

I'm using a Mojo 2 at the moment but would like a small 'tubey' alternative. Thanks
In no way it has thin bass with HEKSE.
As for the hiss - I don’t hear it in about 3 mins which needed for tubes heat up, but probably you won’t get the same totally black background feeling as with pure SS amps.

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #199 of 344
In no way it has thin bass with HEKSE.
As for the hiss - I don’t hear it in about 3 mins which needed for tubes heat up, but probably you won’t get the same totally black background feeling as with pure SS amps.
Understood, thanks.

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #200 of 344
Just a question for those who've tested it with the HE1000SE...I've heard mention of hiss. Does this apply to those headphones?

Mine did have audible hiss with the HE1KSE using the 3.5mm output. The 4.4mm is significantly more noisy, but I didn’t specifically try with the HE1KSE.

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #202 of 344
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #203 of 344
Thank you for the reply. I have contacted Woo Audio through their website to ask about warranty service / next steps. This may turn out to be a good chance to test the RMA process. I have only recently gotten into Woo Audio products, so I have never had a chance to work with their support, but from everything I have heard / read about them, I am optimistic it will go well. I will report back here on results of the process.

Also, a potentially unrelated wrinkle, but maybe worth mentioning if it seems noteworthy to anyone. When I received the unit it was new in its box with what appeared to be an intact factory seal, but the USB adapter was not present anywhere in the box / carrying case. I have replicated my issue with the switch using both the Apple USB-C 4K A/V adapter for the iPad and iPhone as well as with plugging the device directly into a USB-A port on my desktop computer, so I don’t think it was due to the missing cable, but it makes me feel like there was just something up with this unit from the beginning. It also occurs with multiple cables from different brands and multiple sets of headphones, all of which work fine with other amps / dongles. I purchased it from headphones.com - and I have always been pleased with the quality of their products and their service - this is the first issue I have encountered with something from them. I wrote to them about the missing cable, and within a few hours I got a notice from Woo Audio that they were shipping an adapter directly to me - arranged by headphones.com. The whole experience just seems a bit odd relative to the high quality of Woo Audio products and their good reputation, so just sharing in case anyone has insights that spring to mind. I hope to be sharing more info about a quick and effective RMA process shortly! In the meantime, I’ll still be rocking out to the WA22, which has been a flawless performer and came with all of the accessories as advertised.
After some Post Office wonkiness, the Tube Mini finally arrived at Woo Audio in NY this morning. Will post back once it makes its way back to me with results of the process!

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #204 of 344
In the absence of @meomap (I assume he's busy at the mo') can anyone else comment on the sound of the Tube Mini compared to the Mojo 2, particularly with the HEKSE please?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #205 of 344
In the absence of @meomap (I assume he's busy at the mo') can anyone else comment on the sound of the Tube Mini compared to the Mojo 2, particularly with the HEKSE please?
I have all three and can chime in. The Mojo is still my favorite portable device. The onboard EQ is a handy tool and one of my favorite features along with the sound. With that said, the Tube Mini is very good. It loses out in technicalities to Mojo 2, but makes up for it musically with the HEKse’s.

The sound of the Tube Mini is a little warmer, wider, and spacious. Typical of what you’d get with tubes. The overall performance of the Tube Mini isn’t that far behind the Mojo 2 with the HEKse’s. The Mojo 2 plays to the HEKse’s strengths more. For example, the HEKse’s speed, clarity, imaging, and bass response. What the Tube Mini brings to the table is a little bit more depth to the music, a sweeter midrange, and a weightier sound.

I like them both as they give me a different sounds with my HEKse’s. It would be hard just to choose one. The Mojo 2 is a lot more versatile. As a standalone DAC it’s so good. The onboard EQ also is a game changer to me. The Tube Mini has more power and driving ability and the small tubes do add some noise to the sound, but the musicality of the device more than makes up for it. With music playing it isn’t noticeable even with the easy to drive HEKse’s.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #206 of 344
I have all three and can chime in. The Mojo is still my favorite portable device. The onboard EQ is a handy tool and one of my favorite features along with the sound. With that said, the Tube Mini is very good. It loses out in technicalities to Mojo 2, but makes up for it musically with the HEKse’s.

The sound of the Tube Mini is a little warmer, wider, and spacious. Typical of what you’d get with tubes. The overall performance of the Tube Mini isn’t that far behind the Mojo 2 with the HEKse’s. The Mojo 2 plays to the HEKse’s strengths more. For example, the HEKse’s speed, clarity, imaging, and bass response. What the Tube Mini brings to the table is a little bit more depth to the music, a sweeter midrange, and a weightier sound.

I like them both as they give me a different sounds with my HEKse’s. It would be hard just to choose one. The Mojo 2 is a lot more versatile. As a standalone DAC it’s so good. The onboard EQ also is a game changer to me. The Tube Mini has more power and driving ability and the small tubes do add some noise to the sound, but the musicality of the device more than makes up for it. With music playing it isn’t noticeable even with the easy to drive HEKse’s.
Thank you. That's very encouraging and is exactly what I'd be looking for. Small, 'musical', fairly decent technical ability and a different sound to the Mojo 2.
I do love the Mojo 2 and tend to bump the low end up 2dB and the very top down 1 or 2 dB, but sometimes find it a bit TOO good and a bit TOO neutral if that makes sense. Some good ol'-fashioned analogue musicality is sometimes called for and this is a neat way of achieving it without tying myself to multiple cables and a mains outlet.

Grateful for your reply!

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #207 of 344
Thank you. That's very encouraging and is exactly what I'd be looking for. Small, 'musical', fairly decent technical ability and a different sound to the Mojo 2.
I do love the Mojo 2 and tend to bump the low end up 2dB and the very top down 1 or 2 dB, but sometimes find it a bit TOO good and a bit TOO neutral if that makes sense. Some good ol'-fashioned analogue musicality is sometimes called for and this is a neat way of achieving it without tying myself to multiple cables and a mains outlet.

Grateful for your reply!
Yes, the Tube Mini is complementary to the Mojo 2. I'm glad to have both in my collection

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #208 of 344
Yes, the Tube Mini is complementary to the Mojo 2. I'm glad to have both in my collection

Same here. Both very cool, and very different devices.

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #209 of 344
Tube MINI is back from the shop today, and I’m happy to report that the issue is totally fixed with SE <-> BAL switch. Turns out there was no issue with the cable I was using, it must’ve just demonstrated the issue more obviously for some reason. In any case, they confirmed the problem, fixed it, and sent it back free of charge. I‘m happy to report that it sounds great, and there is no issue at all if I touch the switch during playback. I‘m not sure if it actually sounds better, or if I’m just happy to have it back, but in any case, I think it’s sounding awesome for this first hour or so that I’m back listening to it. Glad to be able to trust Woo Audio for great service after the sale, and I really appreciate this product. I do wonder if some of the flatness / or harshness I was perceiving before was just noise being added by the faulty switch, because right now, it is sounding quite sweet :k701smile:

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #210 of 344
Hello, I am extremely curious about the Woo Tube Mini. I'd be using it with iems such as the Thieaudio Prestige LTD and some headphones, nothing crazy to drive. My source would be a Samsung S21 Ultra, soon to be upgraded to the S24 Ultra. I understand some have interference and noise with cellphones? But from past experience with other dongles and dacs, I find simply putting your phone on airplane mode completely eliminates this. So my question is. How does it compare to something like the Chord Mojo 2? I don't care about power but mainly overall sound. I am looking at the Mojo 2 as a possible upgrade to, but the Tube Mini has piqued my interest. How is staging, imaging, detail, all them things on the tube mini when compared to something like the Mojo 2? I've heard the Mojo 2 and it's great. But if the Tube Mini has that special more engaging sound. I may go for it. The Mojo 2 is $799 AUD where as the Woo Tube Mini is $929 AUD.

Edit.
Read a few posts back. So Mojo 2 slightly better technical performance as in detail, speed, clarity?

Tube Mini. More musical and spacious with larger staging.

I don't need eq, already have parametric eq on UAPP. If you had to choose one, which would it be? This would mainly be for at home, sitting in the backyard. And maybe some portable use, but not much. Don't need any blutooth and stuff like that. Just pure sound quality

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back