Woo Audio GES or Stax amp?
Jul 2, 2007 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Minimauled

100+ Head-Fier
I have an HE60 with stax adapter and Omega IIs on the way. I'm trying to decide whether to go for a Woo or the 007tII.

Can someone advise? What would be best for 1. The Senn only. 2. Omega II's only 3. Best compromise so I could compare both HE60 and Omega IIs?

My taste leans on the blooming, warm tube sound rather than lean and fast. I listen to lots of 60s jazz and female vocal indie rock...plus trance and trip hop. Not much classic rock but antifolk like Devendra Banhart is my current favorite.

Thanks

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 12
I tend to agree with comments in the Stax thread that the later Stax amps lack something compared to the earlier SRM-T1. I'm yet to mod my T1 according to spritzer's suggestions but I doubt it'll come up to the Woo (BTW I only have a standard Woo, no upgraded caps or anything).

Of course, as always, you need to trust your own ears (if you can get to hear a 007tII and Woo somewhere near you)
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 12
If you want a warm, bloom tube sound the GES would be a better candidate. The Stax amps will always be slightly analytical, fast and lean no matter how you tuberoll them. Throw in some Telefunken ECC83's in the GES and have Woo install some nice colored caps like the Jupiter's or some NOS paper/oils and you'll be in bloom heaven.

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 12
I wouldn't go with the Jupiters but the V caps would be a good bet. The Jupiters can be inaccurate and while they take a nice look to the past in construction I don't think that is a plus.

Jul 2, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't go with the Jupiters but the V caps would be a good bet. The Jupiters can be inaccurate and while they take a nice look to the past in construction I don't think that is a plus.

The V-caps are fast, neutral and clean sounding but alas not what he wants. Still one of the best caps you can buy but the amp needs some fairly big ones so the price will be pretty extravagant. The Mundorf Silver/Oil's are a good replacement at a more down to earth price level but still far from cheap.

Jul 2, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 12
I have used the Mondorfs quite a bit and they are fine. Very neutral, fast, open and they through a very good open presentation. IMO a very good all around cap.

With the V Caps there is no way of knowing if that is what he wants as the Woo is all tube and the blend may be great but you can only know this by listening. The Jupiter, I think, would be throwing the amp back to the mushy era of tube amps where detail is lost and overal presentation is overly warm and lacking in inspiration.

I want Michael Moore to do a movie on caps. That would be. . interesting?

Jul 2, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 12
One problem with the Jupiter's is their thermal instability. Another source for warm sounding caps would be some of the NOS caps floating around. The detail will suffer amongst other things but they have a nice bloom to them.

I love trying to explain to people the price for an Audio Note silver cap and then explaining that the ones made by Kondo would be much more expensive if they were sold outside of the company. Welcome to the wonderful world of coupling caps where your wallet is the biggest enemy.
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 12

Minimauled, This is pretty much the same question that I am looking at. I just have the O2's being pushed by the 006t, and I was looking at the 007tII or GES for the upgrade.

I spent most of my time at the SJ show listening to both of these amps (STAX in the TTVJ room, and mikeg's (at the time) GES) with my set of O2's. I didn't come away from the show with a clear winner. It is always hard to do at a show. Different source, cables, other people and the like.

STAX vs STAX I liked the 007tII better than the 727II (very good amp), because it added a warmer element and a slightly more musical presentation. I listen for more of analytical edge (looking deeper into the music).

STAX vs Woo. The new STAX responds very well to volume. I also listen a little bit louder. I kept pushing the 007tII higher and higher, and I never found them to falter at all listening to the very hot track "She" off of Harry Connick Jr's album "She". The slam and pop never gave up, all the time still revealing the inner dynamics. The Woo gave me everything I wanted from the other side of the fence. Very musical, warm and could push as well. I didn't push this amp too much knowing that it was a customer amp not a dealer demo.

I think that I would be very happy to set the STAX on my rack, and listen away to my hearts content with my O2's. Especially with an all balanced system in my future. But I am leaning towards the GES for the 'tube' sound and the ability to play around (customize) with it. Like I said, there was not a clear cut winner. If you have the ability to listen to them at some point it might be worth the effort. There is not a wrong choice here, just slight preferences in my opinion.

Cheers,

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 12
Mikeymad, thanks for that. I understand you didn't pick a winner...but would you say the Stax 007tII sound significantly different from the Woo? And if you wouldn't mind...can you go into a little more detail on those differences if they were significant?

Unfortunately I don't think I can afford to have both at the same time...but who knows?

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 12
mikeymad;3085011 said:

STAX vs Woo. The new STAX responds very well to volume. I also listen a little bit louder. I kept pushing the 007tII higher and higher, and I never found them to falter at all listening to the very hot track "She" off of Harry Connick Jr's album "She". The slam and pop never gave up, all the time still revealing the inner dynamics. The Woo gave me everything I wanted from the other side of the fence. Very musical, warm and could push as well. I didn't push this amp too much knowing that it was a customer amp not a dealer demo.

I was sitting there at the same time as we passed around the o2's. BTW mikymad, picked up "She" and have blown many a mind with it. Thanks. I too was impressed with the 007tII and thought it was the best balance of slam and snap with a touch of that ole tube magic. I think that being a hybrid really helps. Maybe that's why the BH is so highly prized for use with the Omegas. I didn't spend that much time on the GES, just enough to get a general idea. Frankly, I wasn't as impressed with it but, I wouldn't expect it to shine with the stock tubes. Having what I'd consider a moderate knowledge of tube gear, there's only so much you can do with tubes alone. I don't think that you'll ever get the kind of slam and snap that I heard from the 007tII. That said, rather than modding a GES I think that, for my tastes, I would try modding an 007tII to try and get a little more tube richness and euphonics. Maybe set it up for another tube type altogether. Maybe some Bee'swax.
I want Michael Moore to do a movie on caps. That would be. . interesting?
Boy, I had a good chuckle on that one!

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mikeymad, thanks for that. I understand you didn't pick a winner...but would you say the Stax 007tII sound significantly different from the Woo? And if you wouldn't mind...can you go into a little more detail on those differences if they were significant?

Unfortunately I don't think I can afford to have both at the same time...but who knows?

[size=x-small]>..but would you say the STAX 007tII sound significantly different from the Woo? [/size]

[size=x-small]No, it is more like a grey scale with the STAX being more on the analytical side, and the GES being on the warm side. But I did not find them to be as different as you might think. [/size]

[size=x-small]>And if you wouldn't mind...can you go into a little more detail on those differences if they were significant?[/size]

[size=x-small]It is pretty hard to say because they are different systems all together (source, cables, amps) with the O2's being the common link (and my faulty memory) When I came off the STAX and went to the GES my initial impression was that the GES was dark sounding. That being, overdone bass and a rolled off high end. But as I spent some time there and pushed the volume a bit, it came to life, the bass was more balanced with the midrange, and the highend became more present and liquid. The GES did present a good amount of detail, but not in the league of the STAX. [/size]

[size=x-small]Probably not much help, but just some thoughts.[/size]

[size=x-small]Cheers,[/size]

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was sitting there at the same time as we passed around the o2's. BTW mikymad, picked up "She" and have blown many a mind with it. Thanks. I too was impressed with the 007tII and thought it was the best balance of slam and snap with a touch of that ole tube magic. I think that being a hybrid really helps. Maybe that's why the BH is so highly prized for use with the Omegas. I didn't spend that much time on the GES, just enough to get a general idea. Frankly, I wasn't as impressed with it but, I wouldn't expect it to shine with the stock tubes. Having what I'd consider a moderate knowledge of tube gear, there's only so much you can do with tubes alone. I don't think that you'll ever get the kind of slam and snap that I heard from the 007tII. That said, rather than modding a GES I think that, for my tastes, I would try modding an 007tII to try and get a little more tube richness and euphonics. Maybe set it up for another tube type altogether.

[size=x-small]Hello IronBut, good to hear from you, I knew later that I should have paid attention to whom I was sitting with at the time. I am glad that you liked the selection. I think that you have an interesting proposal with modding the STAX. you might have something there with possible tube rolling/mods to warm it up a bit. I wonder what people have done with the 007tII. It is pretty darn good as it is.[/size]

[size=x-small]Cheers,[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back