Woo Audio 5 has arrived! Review added 3-11
Mar 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #31 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review, thanks. Take this FWIW, because I'm a SS guy and you are talking a bit over my head, but as I read this -- analog source, tube phono stage, tube amp, copper wire...."harsh and edgy?" I had to wonder if you have the right speakers.

By the way, when Sonny blows really hard on a high note, yes, it is supposed to have an edge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

I would have to agree that the speakers are the weak link here, however, the current setup is working well with them. Of course, you know they will get replaced at some point.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #32 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good review. I keep looking at the Woo 5 but haven't pulled the trigger, being still a little concerned that there will not be enough power as a speaker amp. My will power is fading, though!

Check out the stats of your speakers and, unless your room is really large and you like to listen at really loud levels, anything over 86-88 dB of efficiency should work.

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #33 of 79
Nice review. Well written and I found it easy to relate to the way you phrased things. Definitely looking forward to more.

btw - any fix for those pics yet? they still don't show for me?

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #35 of 79
Very nice review. I am green with envy. Someday, I will own a 300B based amp.

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #38 of 79
To the OP:
What is that on the back left corner of your plinth? My Aries 2 doesn't have that.

Aries.jpg

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #39 of 79
please someone do a review of WA 5 with GS1000?

could the WA 5 owner sample your WA 5 with the GS1000 please...

the WA5 is making me think it may be the only one capable enough to drive the GS1000 ...

if it can drive the K1000 ... it can drive the GS1000

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #40 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP:
What is that on the back left corner of your plinth? My Aries 2 doesn't have that.

Aries.jpg

That is an add-on, it is a carbon fiber brush that has a wire that connects to ground. It serves two purposes, it tracks the record and cleans dust, and it also eliminates static via the connection to ground.

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #41 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, Jack does an amazing job with the wiring! It is a work of art on the bottom as well as the top!

The build quality is absolutely amazing! There is such unbelievable attention to detail- right down to the the packaging in well-built wooden crates.

BTW, thanks, everyone for the kind words about the review- there will be more forthcoming.

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #42 of 79
Looks like a very nice amp! Congrats!

Noticed the amp uses the same rectifier tubes as my Mesa/Boogie Trem-O-Verb guitar amplifier. Cool!

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #43 of 79
Wow Raylinds, nicely done. I have been away from the threads for a little bit. I like all the pics. Now I don't have to open mine up (at least not anytime soon).

I have been playing around with rectifiers this last weekend (thanks Voltron). I will be writing that up at some point (when I am done).

Also I do have the GS-1000's, so I will give them a listen at some point as well. I have been working with the L3000 right now. I can report that the K1000's work very well.

Cheers,

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #44 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by twoears&oneheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the WA5 is making me think it may be the only one capable enough to drive the GS1000 ...

if it can drive the K1000 ... it can drive the GS1000

The GS1000 is easily driven by most amps.
confused.gif
The K1000's use the WA5's speaker terminals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raylinds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is an add-on, it is a carbon fiber brush that has a wire that connects to ground. It serves two purposes, it tracks the record and cleans dust, and it also eliminates static via the connection to ground.

Thanks for the info.

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #45 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS1000 is easily driven by most amps.
confused.gif
The K1000's use the WA5's speaker terminals.

Thanks for the info.

Not true, the WA5 has a dedicated 4 prong XLR jack for the K1ks. Of course, you can always attach to the speaker terminals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back