Woo Audio 3, Little Dot 2,3-Which One?
Oct 13, 2005 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

falcogreg

New Head-Fier
Am interested in a tube amp? In the price range I'm looking at, it appears these amps fit the bill. Any recommendations as to the value of these amps copared to each other? Any other ones I should consider?

Also, where can I purchase the Little Dot amps?

Thanks,
Greg

Oct 13, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
ppx3

I thought the ppx3 was beyond your budget unless you find a used one and now you want Greg to bust the bank with one too?? Oh well, its only money...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 16
I've got the Woo WA-3. Wow what a killer amp. The photos don't do it justice. As for the Little Dot I was going to try one out and talked to a few people here who own the WA-3 and DOT all said the WOO outperformed.

Best of Luck! ~

Oct 14, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally quoted by Stephen MUrphy:
I thought the ppx3 was beyond your budget unless you find a used one and now you want Greg to bust the bank with one too?? Oh well, its only money...

Thanks Stephen! Couldn't have said it better myself. Looks like the WA-3 needs more looking into.
icon10.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by canloader
I've got the Woo WA-3. Wow what a killer amp. The photos don't do it justice. As for the Little Dot I was going to try one out and talked to a few people here who own the WA-3 and DOT all said the WOO outperformed.

Best of Luck! ~

Yes, another HUGE fan of the WooAudio3 here, it's an excellent amp. Also easy to upgrade if you go that route. The LDII is a great amp for the money and I love it for what it is but it's not comparable to the WA3. I also hear that some of the poor guys over at Ipod lounge have been having difficulty with exploding caps in the LDIIs from the group buy, although it sounds like the maker is working things out for those affected. Just something to keep in mind nonetheless.

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 16
Highflyin9 said it well.

I am totally pleased with my Woo3 and couldn't be happier.

It replaced a Amity HPA2 SS amp and the improvements over my decent SS were big.

The Woo3 now powers my Sennheiser HD600 and my 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990. Especially my DT990 benifited from the Woo3. It made everything so more realistic sounding than before.

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 16
Just my two cents. I gave up everything I own to move to Thailand from Canada to work in the dive industry. Well everything except my WA3 and HD650's! It currently resides in my jungle bungalow with about 500 cds and a temporary DVD/SACD source. I literally have only my Woo, the cans, the music, and my dive gear! Live is simple and sweet and I have only one complaint. The HD650 open design lets in too many jungle noises. Luckily for me the Woo rocks with these phones and I never feel bad drowning out the background with pinched waist tube magic. I find that the Woo with these nos tubes and a 7236 power tube disappear leaving me with massive soundstage, glorious midrange, and quick/detailed bass. It is as if Thelonious Monk is really playing in the "jungle cafe."

My two cents
cool.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 16
Another vote for the Woo. Order it without the preamp functions, have Woo parallel the input tubes for lower impedance and more power, get yourself a Tung Sol 5998 output tube, and if you can afford it go with a set of Amperex input tubes and I predict that you'll be very happy with the sounds that come out of your Woo.
BTW, the Amperex USA White Label 6922's that I'm using are just incredible sounding in my Woo. I've never before heard vocals and instruments sound so separated and suspended in space as I do through the Amperex's, and although I was a bit skeptical before, I'm afraid I'm now going to have to admit that the Amperex tubes are well worth their astronomical asking prices. BTW part II - Amperex tubes take a looong time to fully burn in - when new mine sounded bloated in the bass, lacked dynamics, were thin sounding and had a midrange glare that gave me headaches, and after about 80 hours of burn in I took them out of my amp and laid them aside for a couple of months. But after building a Senn cable and a new set of interconnects for my rig I thought I'd pop the Amperex's back in and give them another chance. They still sounded bloated and glarey, so I burned them in for another 70 hours or so and they really started coming around. The glare has all but disappeared, the bass is warm and tight, and dynamics are very good. But oh that soundstaging and sense of space and truth of timber - very very good stuff.

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 16
KZEE, thanks for the suggestions. Can you purchase the amperex and tung sol tubes with the amp or go to another source? If so, where can they be bought? Also, having the amp configured this way, is this an option that is readily avaialable or is it special order? Did you contact them via email to do this?

Thanks,
Greg

Oct 16, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 16
Little Dot II & III is DIYed by a Chinese electric engineerer. This thing comes in a amazingly low price, for Little Dot II, 368 yuan(46USD).

I'm thinking about getting one myself. People living outside China can also order them, but the problem is, the courier cost is almost as much as the price, so...

P.S. I'm a Chinese headphone geek.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #13 of 16
the price has already increased to $237 shipped in the US
frown.gif
. I think most of the issue's with the amp have been fixed. someone from here hooked me up(you know who you are
cool.gif
) when i bought mine, it came with different tubes; less microphonic.

Oct 16, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by falcogreg
KZEE, thanks for the suggestions. Can you purchase the amperex and tung sol tubes with the amp or go to another source? If so, where can they be bought? Also, having the amp configured this way, is this an option that is readily avaialable or is it special order? Did you contact them via email to do this?

Thanks,
Greg

ASAIK Amperex's and Tung Sol's aren't available through Woo. The Tung Sol is available through NOS tube dealers... check the 'TUBE SITES faq' at the beginning of the Head-Fi amps forum for a list of tube dealers. Amperex tubes are more easily found through web sites such as Audiogon or ebay.
There isn't an option list for the WA3 - E-mail Woo with any special requests and they'll let you know if they will or won't do what you want to have done. When I ordered my amp without the preamp functions Woo automatically paralelled the input tubes for me*, but just to be safe I would still mention the paralelling if you order an amp from them.

*I got the paralelling idea from jamato8.

Oct 16, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 16
i have woo3 with tung-sol 5998 and amperex holland 6dj8, it sounds nice with senn 650s. im sure there are better amps but for around 600$ with nos tubes the price is realistic.

how much benefit to killing the preamp function?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back