Woo Audio 2
Sep 8, 2008 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

toadthedry

Head-Fier
Hi,
I am about ready to purchase a Woo Audio 2 headphone amp. (I am having Jack configure it for use with headphones and he is taking out the preamp portion) Jack has rocommended the WA2 over the WA6 or WA6se for the headphones I use- senn 650 and ATH 900LTD) What modifications would people suggest that I have Jack make, if any, to upgrade it. I saw some posts that recommend a psuedo dual power supply for the WA6. Is that an option for the WA2?
Thanks
Mike

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 18
For my WA2 I went with the optional Blackgate caps for voltage filtering and output coupling, along with the Tung-Sol 5998 tube upgrade (which doesn't seem to be offered any more). The amp sounds great with both HD600s and K701s, though I haven't heard a standard WA2 so I can't tell you how much of that is the upgrades. No idea about the WA6 style dual power supply, but I would be very interested to know if this is possible with the WA2.

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by toadthedry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I am about ready to purchase a Woo Audio 2 headphone amp. (I am having Jack configure it for use with headphones and he is taking out the preamp portion) Jack has rocommended the WA2 over the WA6 or WA6se for the headphones I use- senn 650 and ATH 900LTD) What modifications would people suggest that I have Jack make, if any, to upgrade it. I saw some posts that recommend a psuedo dual power supply for the WA6. Is that an option for the WA2?
Thanks
Mike

Sounds good... but... just two points.

1. You might want to get the upgrades with the $70 pseudo-dual power supply option, and

2. You might want to consider resale potential of the WA2 vs the WA6+ or WA6 SE - the more versatile the amp, the easier it will be to resell it... if/when... you decide to upgrade.

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 18
I have a Woo 2, maxxed. It is an excellent amp. I wouldn't worry too much about the power supply. Stick with the max options that Jack offers. But I would go hunting for a pair of Tung-Sol 5998's or Chatham 2399's. They are identical. These can be picked up on ebay fairly regularly, usually between $70 and $100 a pair.

cheers
Simon

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 18
Doesn't the WA2 have a pseudo-dual power supply already? I know it has a rectifier and a choke for each channel. I would think it already has one.

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't the WA2 have a pseudo-dual power supply already? I know it has a rectifier and a choke for each channel. I would think it already has one.

It may well have... I just assumed it didn't, but it could have. Just confirm with Jack.

According to Jack, its not terrible with low impedance phones, but just isn't as good as the WA6.

I think he prefers its slightly more tubey / OTL sound than the WA6, and he'd like to have more WA2s out there to increase the interest in them.

It's also considered a pretty good pre-amp.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 18
I looked long and hard at this amp before I bought my Darkvoice and was very tempted. I'm excited to hear your impressions. Probably the only thing that pushed me away from the WA2 is the high cost of NOS tubes for its particular complement.

Please report your thoughts/impressions when the WA2 arrives.

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 18
OK, I guess I am reconsidering as the 6 SE will be more versatile. I am considering the 6 SE with the sophia rectifier tube upgrade. Any other upgrades people would recommend? Are there othertube upgrades to be made? Also, can anyone compare the sound of the 6 SE with the sophia upgrade to the WA2 with senn 650's ATH900ltd or akg 701 (I don't own the akg but you never know)
Thanks
Mike

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 18
I believe the biggest enhancement to the sound of the WA6 SE was the Princess 274b rectifier. My ear is not trained enough to discern or appreciate very subtle differences between things like caps and the like. When I ordered my amp, Jack recommended that I skip the upgraded parts and go with a Sophia tube for the most noticable difference. So, I skipped $450ish on internal parts and laid out $150 for a tube.

I ran my WA6 SE for two months with the stock tubes. Received the Princess about a month ago and I was really floored by the overall improvement this tube made. Sound is fuller and bass is very solid (that is as poetic as I get). This combo works great for me. I also bought a pair of NOS Sylvania 6EW7 drivers tubes which also made a nice improvement.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 18
Definitely try to find some 5998's, and get some Sylvania black-plate 6X4's for the rectifier tubes. These are not expensive.

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely try to find some 5998's, and get some Sylvania black-plate 6X4's for the rectifier tubes. These are not expensive.

The newer WA2 build uses 6V4/EZ80 not 6X4/EZ90. My WA2 is an older 6X4 version from beginning of this year!, and there's more readily available 6X4 types from what I can tell.
My newer WA4 uses 6V4 as rectifier tubes.

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #13 of 18
Yeah, definitely a lot more 6X4 options. That's too bad it got changed.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 18
Well the new rectifier has a higher current capability but the 6X4 is one of the best sounding rectifiers around. You can run two in series for higher voltage or two parallel for higher current. Use two of the old Tungsol D getter with heavy flashing and they are very, very fine. So many varieties. I have around 250 to 300 nos 6X4's.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by synthmad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The newer WA2 build uses 6V4/EZ80 not 6X4/EZ90. My WA2 is an older 6X4 version from beginning of this year!, and there's more readily available 6X4 types from what I can tell.
My newer WA4 uses 6V4 as rectifier tubes.

Just curious... why did Woo Audio change to the 6V4 tubes from the 6X4 tubes for the WA2?

Especially if... the 6X4s sounded just as good and were more available at lower prices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back