Woo amp for k501?
Feb 9, 2009 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
Would anyone know if AGK K501 and Woo Audio amps is a good match? (Almost for sure I'm getting hd650 and a woo amp, but I wanna try k501 as well, though it's a completely different headphone, I know. That's why I want it :wink:

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't know, but I do know that K501 plus tubes is a very good match. I use mine with a budget Little Dot hybrid tube amp and the sound is great. I can only imagine what a better tube amp would do...

May 10, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, a conclusion on this topic would be, that tubes may be a good match for k501. But I bought an OTL tube amp, the WA2, and I do not find it to be a good match. These phones do not shine, as I expected them to. It could be that I'm just not into the sound signature of AKG. A lot of people here on headfi have said, that k501 needs current. An OTL amp delivers a lot of voltage, and that's another thing.

That's why I'm selling k501. With the k601 pads, they were actually pretty cool, and there's something about their sound, that I can't get from any other phone, I've tried. I wish I was able to amp them properly. For now, I put my energy in the WA2 and phones that match well with that!

May 10, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 7
The WA6 with the dual power supply mod and fully upgraded if you can find one. The K501 can't sound any better imo.

If you are not totally stuck on Woo amp, the M^3 turns the k501 into a bass monster of sorts.

May 11, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 7
I'm stock on WA2, and I'm happy with that! I just wanted to try out different phones, and my personal conclusion is, that this amp doesn't make a perfect match with k501. It doesn't sound bad at all, it's just that my other phones, especially the hd650, benefits a hole lot more from the amp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back