Woo 6 is HEEEEEERE!!!! v [PICS]
Jul 8, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #106 of 127
Oh I think it is a fine amp and to say there are better out there may or may not be true. By this I mean by presentation there can and often is a difference but that doesn't always mean better. Price doesn't denote value of listening and I think the 6 goes to show this. When an amp can get effectively out of your head on headphones, have excellent dynamics both macro and micro with timbre to match what more can you ask for?

I received an RCA and Sylvania 5U4G and RCA 5V4G today. They are different from the GZ34 metal base. A little warmer but I need to listen more for other characteristics. The meta base may be more spacious in presentation.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #107 of 127
blessingx, were did you come up with the analog VU meters? (They look great!)
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

equipment.jpg

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #109 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got it here. depends on length. mine was 1.5m so $199. but i'm told this is introductory pricing...its a smaller outfit you might be able to get a better deal if you ask for a discount. just tell them you're a prominent member from head-fi and see what they'll do for you
wink.gif

i just cannot believe how black the nothingness is when my source is paused! and this is with A/C running on energy-save elsewhere in my one bedroom apartment!

I agree that the Woo is dead quiet even with volume maxed out. And I'm using a cheap $5 power cable from Rat Shack.

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #110 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure that's a Squeezebox

Ichinichi, you are planning on bringing your 6 to our next meet I hope?
very_evil_smiley.gif

When is that going to be? If its back from its upgrades by then...I'll pack it up and bring it out for sure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that the Woo is dead quiet even with volume maxed out. And I'm using a cheap $5 power cable from Rat Shack.

Really? But I still enjoy the looks on my guests' faces when they see the size of those power cords!

biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #111 of 127
Just realized I had not posted here yet.

Well, my WA6 came in about a week ago or so.
Been trying different tubes. Just got a Tung-Sol 5U4GB, and I think I'm liking it better than all the others I have on hand (GE 5U4GB, Sylvania 5U4GB, JJ GZ34, Sovtek 5U4G). Mine also came with 2 Sylvania 6DE7 tubes.

Up until just today I think I liked the presenation that my GS-1 gave better, however this new Tung-Sol tube is sure sounding good. I'll have to wait and see how the Tung-Sol works out.

The thing is so heavy though. It's seems like it's built out of a solid piece of aluminium. Came with a few screws loose on the underside, but that was easily fixed with a screwdriver. Aside from that though, build quality is very nice.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #113 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just realized I had not posted here yet.

Well, my WA6 came in about a week ago or so.
Been trying different tubes. Just got a Tung-Sol 5U4GB, and I think I'm liking it better than all the others I have on hand (GE 5U4GB, Sylvania 5U4GB, JJ GZ34, Sovtek 5U4G). Mine also came with 2 Sylvania 6DE7 tubes.

Up until just today I think I liked the presenation that my GS-1 gave better, however this new Tung-Sol tube is sure sounding good. I'll have to wait and see how the Tung-Sol works out.

The thing is so heavy though. It's seems like it's built out of a solid piece of aluminium. Came with a few screws loose on the underside, but that was easily fixed with a screwdriver. Aside from that though, build quality is very nice.

So would you recommend GS-1 over WA6 for Sennheiser HD650?
I'm looking for a second set and can't decide which amp to get for HD650 or D2000 if I use Opera with HD650.
At the moment I'm mostly listening to rock/alternative.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #114 of 127
I've got a max'd out WA6 on order; supposed to be ready in about 2-3 weeks. Will be using with AKG K701 and the small Shanling CDP. One factor in my decision was that WA6 uses the same rectifier as my Moth S45 (5R4/5AR4), and I have a couple of NOS GZ34's already to install. Anybody have a good current source for NOS driver tubes?

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #115 of 127
You have to hunt around for the driver/power tubes. Listening to the 6 right now. Very nice. Good taught bass, 3D and good spatial presentation of audience. Performs well as a good home amp. Not real tube like, which I don't like but with good control, clean and dynamic. I am using the Ultrasone 750's right now.

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #116 of 127
On the 6 don't be afraid to try the ohm setting opposite to what might seem right for your headphones. The ohm rating is just an average. I have often found that using the 4 ohm on my speaker system to sound better than the 8 ohm, not because of power but because it just matches better. Of course home speakers can really dip on the ohm requirement and can go high but it is always worth experimenting.

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #117 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the 6 don't be afraid to try the ohm setting opposite to what might seem right for your headphones. The ohm rating is just an average. I have often found that using the 4 ohm on my speaker system to sound better than the 8 ohm, not because of power but because it just matches better. Of course home speakers can really dip on the ohm requirement and can go high but it is always worth experimenting.

yeah, the other day I switched the ohm setting to high with my dx-1000's, even though the jvc dx-1000 are 64 ohms, I believe, they sound better at the 100-600 ohm setting, brings the mids a bit more forward giving more detail.
with the gs-1000, I don't hear any difference at all though
confused.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #118 of 127
I don't hear too much difference with my HD650's but I do with the Ultrasone 750's.

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #119 of 127
with my 650's I heard a small volume boost, even across the spectrum, but with the jvc, clear mid boost, weird.

Feb 2, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #120 of 127
I'm planning to get WA6 sometimes...
Does the stock tubes works fine with K701?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back