women in Head-Fi
Feb 19, 2002 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
You can read the rest HERE

Since this has been brought up so many times here, I thought you might want to read this :

Her Fi?

By Nicolas Protonotarios, February 18, 2002

It has been a source of constant puzzlement to me that the audiophile community is probably 99% male (not that I have access to official statistics). In fact, I wonder if the hobby might not qualify as being the most male-dominated in the world.
While this fact is generally accepted by audiophiles, I have never seen any attempt to analyze its implications. Do men hear differently than women? Most of us with significant others have probably noticed that, in fact, women can have more acute hearing than men and can definitely perceive differences in components. However, they can also be as content listening to their favorite CDs on $200 portable players as on $20,000 high-end systems.

Does this mean that men assign a different value to reproduced sound quality than women do? It seems so. I mention "reproduced" because I think it is obvious that women appreciate high-quality live performances as much as men. And of course there are probably as many talented female musicians out there as there are male.

The fact that most women don't appreciate the advantages of a good hi-fi system is a source of conflict in many homes. The problem is, many women don't seem to feel the improved sound quality justifies the assortment of metal boxes (and the mare's nest of cables sprouting out of them) in the domestic environment. Nor do they appreciate the fact that these encroachments usually cannot be cleaned or touched at their convenience. And women sometimes become understandably annoyed if their significant others want to enjoy extended late-night or weekend listening sessions when this is not suitable.

I know I seem to be simply stating the obvious, but I have read articles in our host magazine and in others that have dealt with metaphysical issues of less importance. Perhaps this gender difference should become the subject of a sociological study at some institute of higher learning. Of course, we could always start with a poll on this website, but guess how many women are going to participate!

Feb 19, 2002 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 36
I think the difference is the toy factor. With hi-fi, you don't get more function, you just get better function. So, upgrades in sound quality are merely added toys. Most women get a decent system that plays their CD's and that's good enough. Men have to get new and better toys, hence, upgraditis and the hi-fi obsession.

Feb 19, 2002 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 36
"Perhaps this gender difference should become the subject of a sociological study at some institute of higher learning. "

I hope Eagle Driver is a test subject.

Feb 19, 2002 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
In fact, I wonder if the hobby might not qualify as being the most male-dominated in the world.

Erhm, I'm not sure it tops computers as a male dominated hobby...

Feb 19, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 36
I don't think that inately women appreciate fine music less, if you look in the world of classical music there are almost as many women as men musicians. What we are really talking about is
"obsessive" attention to the equipment that produces music, this
is what makes you an "audiophile" This obsession with equipment is a more general social pattern and as mentioned applies to computers and many other specialized hobbies.

Although there probably are no female members here now, at Audiogon there are several female audiophiles who have fabulous systems, and know their ****.

Wing
That article is along the same line of thought, the "Professor Gadget, Dr Gizmo" type tend to be prime candidates for audiophiles........unless they think too much and start to analyze
whether there is a scientific reason why this works?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 19, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 36
it's a penis thing. If women had penises then they'd be after the expensive sennheisers and amps and what-have-you. It's a male trait; we want the biggest, baddest stuff. don't deny it
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 36
FIRST of all be quiet Neruda
tongue.gif

SECOND of all

"And of course there are probably as many talented female musicians out there as there are male."

THAT sure as hell IS NOT true.

THIRD of all

Men are inherently superior, we want to make things better, we have a psychological desire to achieve, where as women have a desire to ****, nurse babies and eat bon bons.

FOURTH of all

Thank you I'll be here all week ladies and gentlemen.

Feb 19, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Men are inherently superior, we want to make things better, we have a psychological desire to achieve, where as women have a desire to ****, nurse babies and eat bon bons.

back in your cave, ai0tron!
eek.gif
wink.gif

i think it is a "boys and their toys" thing, like with cars and golf clubs. besides, women have more common sense than men, and know enough not to spend $800 on headphones.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
eek.gif
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 36
Women like jewelry and clothes and Men like electronics, its a given. I also watched some CNN report a while back about Men and Women and their hearing and the such. Based on this report, Men have the ability to concentrate on one stimuli, like a radio, while Women will try to concentrate on mulitple things at once, like a conversation taking place while the radio is playing and fail miserably at both. Heh, figures
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 36
Nah, I think it's more the social part that interests women, which is why they're much more likely to be found at live concerts or as musicians. Audio equipment is stuck in the house, is usually listened to alone, and requires people to not be talking to be appreciated.

Feb 19, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 36
i'm beginning to think it is the members of the hi-fi community themselves that keep the ladies away, godluvy'all!
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
FIRST of all be quiet Neruda

don't worry ai0tron, it doesn't make you...that much less of a man.
wink.gif

I think we're all making way too many broad, sweeping statements about both sexes. Men cannot assume to know what's going on inside the head of a woman, or vice versa. Maybe we should stop now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back