women in Head-Fi
Feb 20, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #32 of 36
hehe uh.......*looks down meekly*
Forget what I said above.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Feb 20, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #33 of 36
Too often the audiophile thinks too highly of himself.

He thinks the world cannot hear as he hears. He thinks the masses must be deaf as well as stupid. On at least one account, he is generally wrong.

In my experience, most people can hear the same quality jumps in audio that I can, once I expose them. In fact, I try very hard to say very little until I've heard their opinions to keep from persuading. It's comforting sometimes, it makes me seem more sane.

What then differentiates an audiophile from a normal person? Experience and dedication. A normal person will never have the opportunity to hear the majority of the headphones and amps we discuss in this forum. A normal person will not seek out such opportunity and... even in the event that one of our kind inflicts our hobby upon them and they say, "wow, cool, these really are a lot better" as they typically do when we inflict upon them delicately and politely, they will still not be moved to spend $2000.

They have their own hobbies, their own interests and their own idea of what is and is not frivilous.

I am happy to see that most everyone here agrees that there are differences between men and women and I will not argue the merits of your findings. However, in this way, I think men and women for the most part, are much the same. We hear similarly, we interpret similarly and we almost always decide that someone else's hobby isn't worth the money.

The reason the hobby is dominated by men has much to do with the experience and opportunity afforded to men that is not often granted to women. Billy doesn't usually invite Susan over to help him build a speaker--Bob gets the invite Susan didn't get. We have a system of self-fulfilling prophecy when it comes to gender roles in our society. Likewise, we demand that women pay attention to other things, conciously or otherwise, such as their manner of dress and appearance. It would be wise to remember that every demand made of a woman, be it that she can prepare meals as a fine chef or remake herself into a model to make you proud on Opera night--takes time, effort, energy and funds.

Today, women also have the demands of competing with men in the workplace, being sophisticated and educated. If these things are not sacrificed at the alter of superficiality, what then is? Hobbies like ours and forum ramblings like this one. They simply have other things to do--other things, that were we not given so many graces, men might take up to join them in.

So ends this rant.

Feb 20, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Heh, you know my closest female friend (not girlfriend!) is a huge Prog fan, so there goes that idea.
biggrin.gif

well KR, to be fair, he said "the least women," not "zero women."
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back